• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absence of good in atheism

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Below example should clarify all:

When a scientist/mathematician says
xxxx"X=4"
Then this implies there is absence of
xxxx"1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 etc"

When an Atheist says
xxxx"Atheism = lack of belief in God",
xxxx"good, bad, etc" in Atheism

Or as others sometimes say "I do NOT want to be put in a box"
To claim "I am an Atheist (or Hindu/Christian for that matter) means you put yourself in a box"

This does really clarify the point of the thread. You have to put logic as far away from the original intent of the thread as possible.

An even poorer analogy. The logic of Math has nothing to with 'belief or non-belief in God.

Though you did change things, which comes closer to reality. You correctly "good, bad, etc," but atheism does not imply the "absence ot . . ." Poor choice of words. Atheism does not imply the "absence nor the presence of good or bad, etc." Atheism only implies the absence of God(s).

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I give up. You and I are from different planets. I see no use to continue this

I believe the atheists agree with my logic on this issue 100%,and your logic is flawed.

Please carefully review the logic of the original author of the thread.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Cmon mate. I can turn around and say "You are stubbornly and deliberately avoiding the only TRUE answer to the question -- "not his religious belief." Not good argument.
Do you actually know the story of Edgardo Mortara?

And by the way, if you say the only TRUE answer is "not his religious belief," then what you are also saying it was everything else under the sun EXCEPT his belief.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Do you actually know the story of Edgardo Mortara?

And by the way, if you say the only TRUE answer is "not his religious belief," then what you are also saying it was everything else under the sun EXCEPT his belief.

Not everything under the sun. See, this is called the fallacy of division/composition. You are committing both.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Not everything under the sun. See, this is called the fallacy of division/composition. You are committing both.
Then why don't you be so kind as to explain to me what was the reason for the kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara -- and be sure to explain how it had nothing to do with religious belief.

It gets kind of tiresome when people answer "no" all the time, without ever bothering to explain what they think that the "yes" might be.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The smart ones won't agree, as your logic is flawed

You better carefully review my reply to which you replied, without taking it out of context

I have read your posts carefully. It remains . . .

Which smart ones? No atheist here has rejected to or questioned my logic. In fact they have agreed, Review the thread.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are some who see atheists as bad or evil, or say "there's nothing good about atheism."

Yes, and that is what motivates this thread, a desire to imply that atheists are immoral like his Bible says, "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." We're vile, and not one of us does any good. That's why we have this thread. It is not to point out that atheism is not a believe system and so words like good and bad don't apply, or else it would say that. It might also say that for the same reason that there is no good in atheism, there is no good in theism.

But that's not the message the OP wants to leave.

When an Atheist says
xxxx"Atheism = lack of belief in God",
xxxx"good, bad, etc" in Atheism

Correct, but that's not the message of the OP, which is not written like your words. Just the absence of good in atheism is mentioned. Because only that demeans atheists. Using the word atheism rather than atheists have no good allows plausible deniability for the intent posting the words, but the effect is the same. If I were to say that there is no good in Christianity, it would be understood as Christians are not good people.

It's like Frankenstein's Monster is posting.

Atheists bad.

Fire bad.

Arggggggg.

Yes. Exactly. That's the point. And that's about the level of thought and insight it requires.

It's equal parts laughable and sad to see the caricature some people believe atheists are

And we know who is teaching them that.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The Ten Commandments are repeated; the first is in Exodus 20 and the second in Deuteronomy 5. There are some small differences.
I really cannot understand why everybody says the same thing -- when the ONLY PLACE IN THE BIBLE that the words "ten Commandments" appear are in Exodus 34:10-28. Does everybody just go blind when they read those verses?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I really cannot understand why everybody says the same thing -- when the ONLY PLACE IN THE BIBLE that the words "ten Commandments" appear are in Exodus 34:10-28. Does everybody just go blind when they read those verses?
Um, okay. I was just saying that, whatever one wants to call this particular set of commandments, they are repeated.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Um, okay. I was just saying that, whatever one wants to call this particular set of commandments, they are repeated.
And I'm just asking, what about the THIRD set, the only ones actually called "ten commandments" in the actual Bible itself?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What are the last three words in Exodus 34:28?

And if you can answer that, then what are the words in Exodus 34:10-27 supposed to be, if not what 34:28 calls them?
So you are saying there's more to the covenant than just the ten commandments? Of course there is. You have to study the new testament also to understand how the covenant has changed since then.