• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absence of good in atheism

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The pope. What else? Are you gonna blame it on Christianity itself? Or is that what you wish me to do?

Well. Since its an unsophisticated thought, I won't.
You are stubbornly and deliberately avoiding the only TRUE answer to the question -- "his religious belief."

But, of course you are, because that's our argument and you'd rather not have to admit that you've lost it.

It's okay -- I've been here for a while, I'm accustomed to that.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A theist.

Branch of human expression thinking about processes in space where one bases are self present formed and owned.

Thinking for evil. Thinking about their non presence.

Reason a theist was told they were evil. In thinking.

Rational advice God is one and everything is one presence. A holy good thought.

Why it was said there is no argument about one base presence as one status God.

As God as one presence all bases was good. Thinking about its non presence evil.

Why a theist atheist title stated you thought for evil as everything already existed.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm confused. How does that lend any credence to the concept of atheism holding any consideration of good or evil?

Consideration of both good and evil is universal with the nature of being human regardless of which of the many diverse conflicting beliefs humans believe, and whether one believes in God(s) or not.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Once again, you fail at your first assumption. First you need to demonstrate that "Good Vs. Evil,
Truth Vs. Lie,
are religious terms."

No, they are very fallible human terms regardless of which of the many diverse conflicting beliefs one holds, and whether one believes in God(s) or not,

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism is kinda odd. It doesn't state anything in a positive fashion. It states an absence. That carries over into anything else you might want to say about it. But if I rewrite it slightly for legibility, all I'm saying is that atheism is neither good nor bad, funny nor serious, sexy nor...well...let's face it, atheism is a little sexy.
*strikes a pose*

Yeah, I can see that. There are some who see atheists as bad or evil, or say "there's nothing good about atheism." But atheists can still be good people, yet there are some who are bad.

This is a VERY good point. Atheist soup has no nutritional value at all. But it's not bitter.

I think it might depend on which atheist you use to make the soup.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Turnips help relieve intestinal problems, lower blood pressure, reduce cancer risk, and aid in weight loss and digestion. Atheism doesn't do that.
Atheism does lower the blood pressure, because one does not unnecessarily worry about what would happen to him/her after death, acts right without thinking that a sword his hanging over his/her head, saves time that people spend in prayers, saves money that people give in tithes, etc. Saves a huge lot of expenses if cremated (wood or electricity - it would cost just about USD 100 in India, 3 quintals of fuel wood). I do not think atheism is without its advantages.

"In 2019, the median cost was $7,640 without a vault; including the vault increased the cost to $9,135. This does not include the burial plot, headstone, flowers or an obituary." https://www.google.com/search?q=Ave...hUKEwiDtIW9nPjxAhUKaN4KHX0TCwIQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Atheism is kinda odd. It doesn't state anything in a positive fashion. It states an absence. Atheist soup has no nutritional value at all.
Atheism say only what is necessary that belief in God is unfounded, without evidence. It leaves all the rest for the society to decide the acceptable actions of a person. Does the nutritional value lies only in unproven things?

"Although ginseng has been used in traditional medicine over centuries, modern clinical research is inconclusive about its medical effectiveness. There is no substantial evidence that ginseng is effective for treating any medical condition, and its use has not been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a prescription drug." Ginseng - Wikipedia

Religion and belief in God also is something like that. Practiced for thousands of years without any proven advantage, and with many proven disadvantages.

An essential line used by snake-oil sellers in Indian sub-continent: "Patthar pe māro, tunn ki āwāz hogi" (Strike it on a stone, it will ring like iron).

main.php

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah. I agree with the part about how it ignores how these types of decisions are made. We have values that are formed by some combination of nature and nurture. Evolutionary history has given advantages to altruism and empathy, which is likely why we see many humans have values at least partially based in these; even outside of cultural considerations (or maybe more aptly, why these are prevalent across cultures). Of course individuals can differ. But I think this state of affairs describes the world that we see.

The belief that a lack of objective moral truths would cause people to just become hedonistic monsters is the real problem. I'm not a moral realist, but I have very strong values (in that they very strongly influence my behavior). I don't refrain from stealing or hurting people out of fear of retribution or consequences, I don't steal or hurt people because I don't want to. I value altruism, I value dignity, and whether or not moral truths would exist has nothing to do with me valuing these things. So obviously the belief that the absence of moral truths would necessarily lead to selfish hedonism is false.

Yup, well put.
It's equal parts laughable and sad to see the caricature some people believe atheists are, and then remember they are talking about me, my wife, and seemingly my kids.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I can see that. There are some who see atheists as bad or evil, or say "there's nothing good about atheism." But atheists can still be good people, yet there are some who are bad.

Exactly. Just people, with all the good and bad that umbrella term engenders. When meeting an atheist, my advice is to judge them based on them, rather than on some theoretical grouping which says almost nothing about them.

I think it might depend on which atheist you use to make the soup.

Bahahaha! Good point.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
No, they are very fallible human terms regardless of which of the many diverse conflicting beliefs one holds, and whether one believes in God(s) or not,
I agree, but I'm trying to explain the logical failure in his argument, which seems to be common to... yaknow... all of these. He obviously thinks he's saying something devastatingly clever, he seems genuinely unaware of why we aren't all falling over ourselves to agree with his unimpeachable wisdom. I am trying to explain from first principles why these threads aren't having the effect he genuinely seems to expect.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Do athiests have some universal rules that apply to all athiests about what is wrong and what isn't? Because I have never heard of the atheists ten commandments.
If not then I have to assume you just do what is right in your minds.
As was mentioned in another thread, it's only a few of the commandments that apply to morality (killing, stealing, etc.) , the rest seem to be about preserving the religious belief - which is mostly expected of religious doctrine, just like blasphemy, apostasy, etc. Most of the moral rules come naturally to most people - if they want to live peaceful lives with others that is. Why expect others to obey such general rules if you prefer not to? Reciprocal behaviour, or the expectation of such, has been what tends to hold groups together.

Justanatheist

Sometimes on the internet it is very difficult to decide who is a religious crackpot and who is doing a parody of a religious crackpot.

Clara Tea

Good Vs. Evil,
Truth Vs. Lie,
are religious terms.
Thus, an atheist has become free from these old traditional ways of thinking.

Atheist: "there are very Good atheists."

So, now we all agree, that there is Absolute Evil and Absolute Good in this world?

Atheist: "No, we don't."

So, there is no good in atheism.

Atheist: "Maybe try not to equivocate words like good and Absolute Good and try to have an honest dialogue."

I have the God given right to say anything if there are none of the absolutes. But there are absolutes. So, I stay by the "there is no good in atheism."

If atheists are more evil than theists, why are there so many evil theists in the world? Why is the theist organization (the Mafia) such an evil terror? Why do so many pastors go astray?

Clara Tea

Sometimes on the internet it is very difficult to decide who is a religious crackpot and who is doing a parody of a religious crackpot.

All you have to do is writhe on the floor and babble incoherently (talking in tongues to God), and God will explain it to you.

All you have to do is stand in front of a speeding train to test your faith. (The pope cut off access to the Vatican when COVID was a problem....he didn't leave it to faith in God). We all welcome the vaccine....proof that science came through. We all recognize that viruses (and other life) mutates....thus proving evolution.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Your responses are confusing. There is no "absence of good in atheism."
Below example should clarify all:

When a scientist/mathematician says
xxxx"X=4"
Then this implies there is absence of
xxxx"1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 etc"

When an Atheist says
xxxx"Atheism = lack of belief in God",
xxxx"good, bad, etc" in Atheism

Or as others sometimes say "I do NOT want to be put in a box"
To claim "I am an Atheist (or Hindu/Christian for that matter) means you put yourself in a box"

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Below example should clarify all:

When a scientist/mathematician says
xxxx"X=4"
xxxx"1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 etc"

When an Atheist says
xxxx"Atheism = lack of belief in God",
xxxx"good, bad, etc" in Atheism

Or as others sometimes say "I do NOT want to be put in a box"
To claim "I am an Atheist (or Hindu/Christian for that matter) means you put yourself in a box"

Yes, the box is that I lack belief in a theistic god/gods. That is it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you looked at atheism...in and of itself...wouldn't you agree it has an 'absence of good'?
Much like a turnip.
The more interesting issue is the prevalent absence of good
in religion. Yes, many of them are good (mostly), but a great
many commit hideous wrongs. Shouldn't all believers be good,
since they ostensibly know right from wrong in great detail?
And they have an omnipotent god judging them.