• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamics Only: Would you listen to a prophet?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Abrahamics Only: Your faithgroup is part of the Abrahamic DIR.
To respond you must be so identifiable by either Religion label, Username, Avatar, or Signature.
(Yes, I have seen forum members with no label but obvious identity with those others)

Listen: The question is not about belief or acceptance, (such claim can be tested) it's about listening at all.
There is no maybe, only yes or no. You would listen or reject all unconditionally.

Prophet: A contemporary, as in alive now, making such a claim.

Note that by this forum rules, debate is not permitted.
Also, as I am not Abrahamic I will not be posting any opinion here so don't ask me.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Just because someone makes the claim to be a prophet does not mean that claim is true.
So how can I say yes or no? and especially when you don't even tell us what this so called prophet is saying.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
To respond you must be so identifiable by either Religion label, Username, Avatar, or Signature.
(Yes, I have seen forum members with no label but obvious identity with those others)

Listen: The question is not about belief or acceptance, (such claim can be tested) it's about listening at all.
There is no maybe, only yes or no. You would listen or reject all unconditionally.

Also, as I am not Abrahamic I will not be posting any opinion here so don't ask me.
It would depend on what he is saying. (Maybe track-record too). After all, I could stand in the carport and say "I'm a car" - but it wouldn't make me a car... even if I identified as one.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

No, I would not listen to anyone who is alive now (a contemporary) claiming to be a prophet who received a Revelation direct from God, because I do not believe that any prophets have come since Baha'u'llah, who received His Revelation in 1852 AD. According to Baha'u'llah, if any prophet came before 2852 AD laying claim to a Revelation direct from God, he would be a lying imposter.

“Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor. We pray God that He may graciously assist him to retract and repudiate such claim. Should he repent, God will, no doubt, forgive him. If, however, he persisteth in his error, God will, assuredly, send down one who will deal mercilessly with him. Terrible, indeed, is God in punishing! Whosoever interpreteth this verse otherwise than its obvious meaning is deprived of the Spirit of God and of His mercy which encompasseth all created things.”
The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 32

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ideally I listen but take into account how they live and then make sure the message is understandable and applicable. Then no matter how much it hurts I change my ways, do what is required and dedicate myself to what I know is right.

In reality I am probably not going to want to hear what a real prophet says. I'll prefer the fake ones, because they are going to make me feel confident and good. They will tell me that I have to brush up a little but overall keep doing what I am doing. They will probably also demonize someone who isn't me, such as thieves or politicians or someone like that. That will make me feel great. They will mostly let me go on without much change provided that I make a contribution or feed them. That's the best part about the false ones. Also, they don't like to be challenged, so I don't need to engage with them much.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

Please read this part carefully. It's not a question of if you believe it or not.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

In Judaism, the age of the prophets ended with Malachi, so there are no prophets today in my own view.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

Yes, I would, but if he acknowledges Quran as not corrupted and twists the Seal of Anbiya verse in irrational manner as well as in general is seen to ignorantly do sophistry with respect to Quran, then no.

If he wants to say Seal of Anbiya verse is fabricated, but rest of Quran is intact or something on those lines, or that some of the Quran is corrupted, I will listen to what he has to say. Also, miracles are a must, no excuses.

Also, he must produce a book greater then Quran, if not, then he fails, since God doesn't replace a proof except with better proof.

Also he must have someone related to him ready to succeed him, and either that person or himself must have offspring that successors of his leadership will continue the mission, and ending the total number of successors with Twelve. They all must be closely blood related.

Quran and Ahlulbayt (a) if going to be replaced, has to be with a better Quran and Ahlulbayt. A recitation brighter in signs, proof, eloquence, miracle wise more manifest and more guiding in nature, all this is a required. And his Ahlulbayt have to speak eloquently more guiding and words of light at least on par with Auli-Mohammad (s).

If he wants to say Seal of Anbiya means Mohammad is the last, but that its true of all Prophets, they are the end and final Prophet because they are all each other as Bahu'allah says, then this shuts down the door. He was better off claiming it was fabricated.

And also he has to explain why Quran fabricated that it would be safeguarded, but it was not. If he has an explanation, then I will hear it.

Depending on definition of Prophet, an Imam that is not a Nabi can be a Prophet in English, and Imam Mahdi can be seen as a Prophet in English usage but not a Nabi in Arabic usage.

This is because Sarah for example is a female Prophet in Judaism and Christianity, but she is not a Nabiya in Arabic. She is part of Ahlulbayt of that time, so she is chosen and a guide and light in the unseen journey and star of guidance chosen by God, but in Arabic she is not a Nabiya.

Last edited:

Truth in love

Yes I do often.

I figure anything God wants to say should matter to me.