• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABRAHAMICS ONLY: The Tree called the knowledge of good and evil, (Genesis: a closer look) continued.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Let's read with fresh eyes, not letting any previous view control.

Genesis 3 NIV

There's so much, so rich. The birth of consciousness, the fall from grace because of the loss of faith, the beginning of judgmental judging and blaming that comes from assuming to oneself the power of judgements (one isn't ready to assume) -- " The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” -- all of these, and more. It's not about Jungian symbology of course but even...deeper really.
I like it how in chapter 2 Eve is made from one of Adam's ribs, not just dust from the ground like Adam. Symbolizing she is bonded with him deeper than skin deep, 'bone of my bone', and like a rib, she protects his heart.
It's full of deeper meanings, but they are not Jungian or Freudian, etc. :) They are better than Jungian or Freudian.

101G

Addressing the OP only.
question, "God created Evil", correct, is not Satan EVIL, and God created him, correct". now, is the wages of EVIL DEATH, or Sin?

Just because the devil is EVIL do not mean he is Sin. he's just EVIL. which in case. if one eat of him, without KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING, then one can sin, or NOT. so then, why associate Evil with Sin?

now a side bar to chew on. Romans 14:23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Uh O ........ o_O YIKES!

101G.

PS, Notice what the scripture did not say, " for whatsoever is not of faith is EVIL."

MonkeyFire

Addressing the OP only.
question, "God created Evil", correct, is not Satan EVIL, and God created him, correct". now, is the wages of EVIL DEATH, or Sin?

Just because the devil is EVIL do not mean he is Sin. he's just EVIL. which in case. if one eat of him, without KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING, then one can sin, or NOT. so then, why associate Evil with Sin?

now a side bar to chew on. Romans 14:23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Uh O ........ o_O YIKES!

101G.

PS, Notice what the scripture did not say, " for whatsoever is not of faith is EVIL."

Not true. The devil is imperement. It was created by pain and weakness when they unleashed their pains on the world, creating the evil one known as the devil. Evil has no reality, beyond suffering

101G

Not true. The devil is imperement. It was created by pain and weakness when they unleashed their pains on the world, creating the evil one known as the devil. Evil has no reality, beyond suffering
GINOLJC, to all
we must disagree. imperement is the state or fact of being impaired, especially in a specified faculty: did not the satan said, Genesis 3:4 "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:" Genesis 3:5 "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." so the devil was not impaired.

but did not the devil TEMPTED/test Job, as he did Eve? so we disagree with your statement, "Evil has no reality, beyond suffering". Evil play a role in God's economy.

I don't know why, many think evil is sin, and it's not. it's a TESTING TOOL.

101G

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In Genesis 2:16-17 it is written:

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

If we look at this verse, you will see there is no causal link in eating the fruit and dying; simply because it was called the knowledge of good and evil; not the tree of dea
th.

This reveals it is a parable, and the truth is found in another Parable spoken by Jesus HIs Pre-Eminence.

Matthew 7:16-20

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Notice, that HE makes it clear that there cannot be a tree that brings forth both good and evil? A corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit, a good tree brings forth good fruit. Ye shall know them by their fruits.

So the question remains: What kind of a tree was that tree in that Genesis story? Was it a good tree, or an evil tree?

GOD is the one that planted the tree. Can GOD plant an evil tree? Isaiah 45:7states that GOD creates evil:

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

But John the Beloved contradicts that. 1 John

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

So which is it?

Let us think about this deeper: If GOD creates evil, that means that HE would need to first conceptualise evil, then brood on evil, and then bring it into reality. How does that agree with John: GOD is light, in HIM is no darkness at all.

GOD cannot create evil. There is what Isaiah was revealing here which is something I will leave for now as its not easily understood unless you understand things like Matrixes of the earth, similitudes and adumbrations and then maybe you will understand adverse affects in GOD's Logos. So let me leave that aside.

The point is, GOD created the tree, coooked the soup of the fruit, programmed the seed, planted the seed, and then told Father Adam the day he eats of it, he shall surely die.

And the name HE called the tree does not agree with HIM and HIS Most Holy Character, nor does it agree with what HE said would happen. Therefore, there is much more to this.

When you also take into account that Jesus His Pre-Eminence, who is the GOD in HIS incarnate Manifestation said that a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, and vice versa, it shouldn't be ignored.

So either the tree was a good tree or evil tree. And it brought forth evil fruit or good fruit; it can't bring forth both.

If a person is honest in their studies of the Word, and is a seeker of the kingdom, they will be able to see this is not in agreement. How can there be a tree like that, and Jesus His Pre-Eminence said its impossible for a tree to be like that?

So what do you think the tree is? Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Disclaimer: no need to talk about context here, as i know HE was warning people against false prophets, and the fruits are their messages. But for a parable to work, it needs to be consistent, and Jesus HIs Pre-Eminence cannot lie. Therefore, saying it can't happen, means it can't happen.

Therefore, let us be honest, and rather than try to explain based on the doctrine you have accepted, look at it as it was written; as a real event. This is a serious topic.

I just want to say thank you to the people that have been in each of my threads as we look into genesis. We may not agree on some things, but I appreciate your contributions and hope you will continue to contribute.

THANK YOU.
I do believe it was an actual tree, the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil... but it wasn't an evil tree -- simply God's tree.

God gave man every tree, every herb, every animal, every bird and the world itself to Adam... but love is a choice. The tree was simply a "do you love me enough to let me have one tree while I gave you everything else".

Man chose not to love God and the death cycle began. Death being the separation from the life of God. First he died spiritually in that man's spirit was separated from God's Holy Spirit. Then his thinking was separated and died from the life of God - he started lying. Finally it culminated in the death of his body.

Jesus corrected the death cycle.

101G

but love is a choice. The tree was simply a "do you love me enough to let me have one tree while I gave you everything else".

Man chose not to love God and the death cycle began. Death being the separation from the life of God. First he died spiritually in that man's spirit was separated from God's Holy Spirit. Then his thinking was separated and died from the life of God - he started lying. Finally it culminated in the death of his body.

Jesus corrected the death cycle.
Good point, just one thing, you said, "but it wasn't an evil tree", I agree, it only held the KNOWLEDGE of, of, of, Good and evil. this is what I want to zero in on. the tree held the "POWER" of Good and evil. now my Question, to be put on the table for discussion is this. "is the TREE Spiritual in Nature, or Physical in Nature, as well as it's FRUIT?" I'm inclined to think Spiritual. but as said, lets discuss and learn all.

since CHOICE is a POWER, it's Spiritual in Nature. maybe I could be in ERROR, I hope not.

101G.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Good point, just one thing, you said, "but it wasn't an evil tree", I agree, it only held the KNOWLEDGE of, of, of, Good and evil. this is what I want to zero in on. the tree held the "POWER" of Good and evil. now my Question, to be put on the table for discussion is this. "is the TREE Spiritual in Nature, or Physical in Nature, as well as it's FRUIT?" I'm inclined to think Spiritual. but as said, lets discuss and learn all.

since CHOICE is a POWER, it's Spiritual in Nature. maybe I could be in ERROR, I hope not.

101G.
I think that they are tied together. Because we live in a fallen world, IMV, we tend to separate the two but was the original state disconnected? The earthly tabernacle is the image of the heavenly tabernacle. Our earthly bodies are connected with our spiritual bodies. Our natural actions affect our spiritual lives.

So I think the possibility is that they were spiritual but connected to the natural.

101G

I think that they are tied together. Because we live in a fallen world, IMV, we tend to separate the two but was the original state disconnected? The earthly tabernacle is the image of the heavenly tabernacle. Our earthly bodies are connected with our spiritual bodies. Our natural actions affect our spiritual lives.

So I think the possibility is that they were spiritual but connected to the natural.
agreed, because. the spiritual affect the natural/physical world

101G

Hawkins

The big picture is, humans lack the ability to convey a historical truth. For example, a flood in history may at the end turns into a myth in certain cultures. Humans lack the ability before the invention of writing. Humans acquire the full ability to convey a historical truth only after the invention of paper and mass printing. Before that, they lack both the ability to convey and ability to keep original documents, which are written in stone tablets or tree leaves or bamboo pieces or animal skins. Humans gradually lost all records written in those forms.

If God has a theory to be conveyed through humans from the first lineage (Adam) till today, then such a theory must be "encoded" in a story form, 1) for humans to convey firstly by word of mouth, then written in tablets, animal skins etc., till paper and mass printing are invented. 2) for God to help humans to keep the 'encoded' story intact but without affecting humans' faith to believe. That is, without God's help even a story will gradually turn into a myth, especially during the period where it's convey through word of mouth from a grandpa to his sons and grandsons. With God's help then, this story can remain intact but without humans' awareness. That is even God is behind its intactness, humans won't notice such that humans are neutral to choose to believe God or disbelieve Him. This neutrality is required as a measurement to see if a human's faith will lead to his salvation in accordance to the Covenant (a contract between God and men). Without men's awareness, God helps to conserve the theory embedded/'encoded' in its story form.

That said. in order to know what theory is being conveyed, humans need to 'decode' it correctly. You need help from the author who is God and the Holy Spirit. Now how shall we decode such a theory from the story?

Our conscience is a form of God's written Law in our hearts. It's a set of Law written in our hearts for us to know good from evil. Once we apply this set of Law, it means if we are aware of what is evil but still do it, then we are acting against Law with consent. We are sinning and are thus subject to the judgment of Law. While by how freewill behaves, if all humans know of Law (good and evil) with consent, some will inevitably sin (as a matter of mathematics, i.e., statistics and probabilities). So if Adam (as well as the first lineage humans) know of good and evil with consent, then inevitably some of them will sin. The best way to avoid this is for God to keep this first lineage humans as innocent as possible (i.e., don't know good and evil). Even our human laws specify an age of accountability. That is below certain age, one may be considered innocent and is not accountable for his deeds. God did the same for Adam and Eve, such that they are just as innocent as children before reaching the age of accountability such that they won't be able to be judged by Law.

Satan on the other hand was trying to do the opposite. Satan tried to let Adam and Eve be aware of the Law (i.e., good and evil) such that they would be held accountable for their deeds. Then they are tempted to sin against Law such that by Law they could no longer live in Eden (which is inside God's dwelling realm). They must be driven out of Eden to live a realm where Satan is referred to as the god of this world. Satan is confidence that once humans are driven out of God's realm to live in this world, they would be kept captive without exception, such that God cannot lawfully bring a single human to the final Heaven which is under building. To a certain extent, Satan succeeded and he keeps humans captive such that when judged by Law no humans are savable. God resolved this through the self-sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

SDavis

In Genesis 2:16-17 it is written:

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

If we look at this verse, you will see there is no causal link in eating the fruit and dying; simply because it was called the knowledge of good and evil; not the tree of dea
th.

This reveals it is a parable, and the truth is found in another Parable spoken by Jesus HIs Pre-Eminence.

Matthew 7:16-20

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Notice, that HE makes it clear that there cannot be a tree that brings forth both good and evil? A corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit, a good tree brings forth good fruit. Ye shall know them by their fruits.

So the question remains: What kind of a tree was that tree in that Genesis story? Was it a good tree, or an evil tree?

GOD is the one that planted the tree. Can GOD plant an evil tree? Isaiah 45:7states that GOD creates evil:

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

But John the Beloved contradicts that. 1 John

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

So which is it?

Let us think about this deeper: If GOD creates evil, that means that HE would need to first conceptualise evil, then brood on evil, and then bring it into reality. How does that agree with John: GOD is light, in HIM is no darkness at all.

GOD cannot create evil. There is what Isaiah was revealing here which is something I will leave for now as its not easily understood unless you understand things like Matrixes of the earth, similitudes and adumbrations and then maybe you will understand adverse affects in GOD's Logos. So let me leave that aside.

The point is, GOD created the tree, coooked the soup of the fruit, programmed the seed, planted the seed, and then told Father Adam the day he eats of it, he shall surely die.

And the name HE called the tree does not agree with HIM and HIS Most Holy Character, nor does it agree with what HE said would happen. Therefore, there is much more to this.

When you also take into account that Jesus His Pre-Eminence, who is the GOD in HIS incarnate Manifestation said that a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, and vice versa, it shouldn't be ignored.

So either the tree was a good tree or evil tree. And it brought forth evil fruit or good fruit; it can't bring forth both.

If a person is honest in their studies of the Word, and is a seeker of the kingdom, they will be able to see this is not in agreement. How can there be a tree like that, and Jesus His Pre-Eminence said its impossible for a tree to be like that?

So what do you think the tree is? Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Disclaimer: no need to talk about context here, as i know HE was warning people against false prophets, and the fruits are their messages. But for a parable to work, it needs to be consistent, and Jesus HIs Pre-Eminence cannot lie. Therefore, saying it can't happen, means it can't happen.

Therefore, let us be honest, and rather than try to explain based on the doctrine you have accepted, look at it as it was written; as a real event. This is a serious topic.

I just want to say thank you to the people that have been in each of my threads as we look into genesis. We may not agree on some things, but I appreciate your contributions and hope you will continue to contribute.

THANK YOU.
The fruit of the Tree of Knowledge was neither good nor evil nor was the tree itself.

It was all about obedience - obey me and live - disobey me and die and be placed under the penalty of judgment.

1 John does not contradict Isaiah. God created Lucifer and all the other angels. God gave them freedom of thought, of expression, of will, freedom to choose. Because God created Lucifer it is technically correct that God created evil because he created Lucifer and all the angels that followed the devil. It is technically correct that all the good and evil that goes on Earth God created because he also created man .... *Being correct* - it was actually the works of the devil that brought about disobedience - which is considered evil in God's eyes. Actually it is the work of mankind through disobedience that is evil in the eyes of God.
Everything that Lucifer did, the angels that followed him did, that mankind does is rebellion - which is evil in the eyes of God.

No - in God there is no darkness - darkness is in the ones that he created and they rebelled or is rebelling against him - which is evil and begets more evil.

MonkeyFire

The fruit of the Tree of Knowledge was neither good nor evil nor was the tree itself.

It was all about obedience - obey me and live - disobey me and die and be placed under the penalty of judgment.

1 John does not contradict Isaiah. God created Lucifer and all the other angels. God gave them freedom of thought, of expression, of will, freedom to choose. Because God created Lucifer it is technically correct that God created evil because he created Lucifer and all the angels that followed the devil. It is technically correct that all the good and evil that goes on Earth God created because he also created man .... *Being correct* - it was actually the works of the devil that brought about disobedience - which is considered evil in God's eyes. Actually it is the work of mankind through disobedience that is evil in the eyes of God.
Everything that Lucifer did, the angels that followed him did, that mankind does is rebellion - which is evil in the eyes of God.

No - in God there is no darkness - darkness is in the ones that he created and they rebelled or is rebelling against him - which is evil and begets more evil.

Lucifer is knowledge, he is no devil. IMO

Ebionite

Are you saying that not all humans have sinned? According the Paul, all have sinned, whether or not they are no longer sinners today.

Paul's argument for original sin draws from a non sequitur about all men being liars.

4God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Paul's argument in Romans 3:4 that all men are liars references David's sin involving Bathsheba, but in Nathan's parable it wasn't dishonesty that was the problem, but rather the fact that David took the "little ewe", which represented Bathsheba.

1(To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.) Have mercy upon me, O Elohim, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
4Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done [this] evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, [and] be clear when thou judgest.
1And YHWH sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.
2The rich [man] had exceeding many flocks and herds:
3But the poor [man] had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.
4And there came a traveller unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.

Paul's implication that David was a liar is meaningful for the endorsement of David as a witness by YHWH:

3Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, [even] the sure mercies of David.
4Behold, I have given him [for] a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If we look at this verse, you will see there is no causal link in eating the fruit and dying; simply because it was called the knowledge of good and evil; not the tree of death.

^ rubbish

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

The authenticity of Tafsir Hassan Al-Askari (a) is disputed. Since the chain comes from some enemies of Ahlulbayt (a) in it, obviously, it has come to us a bit distorted.

But I believe there was a version from him (of the whole Quran in fact), and the chain we got sought to distort it to a great degree and also most of the Quran commentary (since it only has some of Surah Baqara now as opposed to all of Quran) would be lost. However, it has a lot of truth intact. Some high spiritual teachings too.

I will quote some of it:

h: Verse 2:34

Regarding the Almighty’s words:

وَإِذْ قُلْنَا لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ اسْجُدُوا لِآدَمَ فَسَجَدُوا إِلَّا إِبْلِيسَ أَبَىٰ وَاسْتَكْبَرَ وَكَانَ مِنَ الْكَافِرِينَ
And when We said to the angels: Make obeisance to Adam they did obeisance, but Satan (did it not). He refused and he was proud, and he was one of the unbelievers. Surah Baqarah 2:34

Simply: O Muhammad! Also recall the time, when He called upon angels to prostrate before Adam, all angels fell down, but Iblees did not and he became proud and that rejected one was, from the very beginning, a disbeliever.

Imam Abu Muhammad, Askari (a.s.) said: Almighty Allah tells His servants: Everything on earth has been created for you. They were created when We ordered angels to prostrate before Adam, that is, at that time, all these things were created for you.

Then Imam (a.s.) said: When Imam Husain (a.s.) together with his companions, fell in grief and trouble due to the Syrian militants who were to finally martyr this oppressed Imam and raise his holy head on the spear point, Imam Husain (a.s.) said addressing his men: I have released you from my allegiance, so you may go away from here to join your families. Even to his own Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) he said: For you too, leaving me is allowed, because the number of enemies is very big and their power beyond your might.

Moreover, they have nothing to do with anyone except myself. Therefore it is proper for you to go away and leave me here alone, because the Almighty Allah will surely help me and never deprive me of His mercy as He had always been towards my predecessors. Upon hearing this, the army men departed from him but his family members and Quraish relatives refused to leave saying: We will never leave you, because your sorrow makes us sorrowful and your trouble puts us also in trouble and only remaining with you can make us nearer to our Lord.

The Imam said: Now that when you made your souls just like my soul, then do know that the Almighty Allah rewards His servants only after making them suffer hardships and though He has left only me alive from my near most relatives, He has bestowed upon me miracles due to which hardships have become easy for me; but you also will get something from such miracles and also know that the sweetness and bitterness of this world’s temporary life is like a dream and that the real awakening will be in the hereafter and that really successful and fortunate is one who wins in the Hereafter and the really unfortunate and wretched is one who finds himself unfortunate and wretched in the Hereafter.

Now, my friends and admirers and followers of my ways! If you so desire, I may inform you of the first stage of my and your initial condition so that it may be easier for you to face the hardships confronting you. All submitted at once: Yes, O Son of prophet do tell us.

The Holy Imam said: When the Almighty Allah created Adam (a.s.) and taught him the names of all things and presented him before the angels, He placed the five figures (forms) of Muhammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Husain (a.s.) in the back of Adam (a.s.) when their radiances were brightening the borders of skies, Paradise, Kursi and Arsh.

Then Allah ordered the angels to make a prostration of respect before Adam (a.s.) saying: Because I have granted dignity to him by placing the figures of the shining radiances which you see in his back.

At once, all the angels prostrated before Adam, but Iblees refused to bow before the Highness of the Most High Allah and of the greatness of us Ahlul Bayt. He refused to be humble and submissive. Though all the angels expressed their humility, Iblees showed his ego and pride. He considered himself of a higher rank and therefore he became a disbeliever.

Imam Zainul Aabideen (a.s.) said: When the Almighty Allah transferred our forms from Paradise to earth, that is when He placed the forms of we five from above Arsh to the back of Adam (a.s.) they did see your light but could not see our shades or figures. So they asked the Almighty: O Lord! What is behind this Light? Almighty Allah said: These are radiances of figures I have transferred from higher stations to your loins and since you are made the carrier of these figures, I have ordered the angels to prostrate before you.

Upon hearing this divine voice, Adam (a.s.) submitted to the Almighty: O Lord! I wish to look at them. Came the Command: O Adam! Look towards the High Arsh. When Adam (a.s.) looked up and when the light of our figures fell on the Arsh and it got reflected there like in a mirror, Adam (a.s.) saw our figures and submitted: O Allah! Who are these? Came the Voice: O Adam! These are the figures of those who are higher in rank than of all My Creation. This one is Muhammad (S) and I am Mahmood, that is, I have been praised for each of My deeds and I have given him a branch of my Name and this is Ali and I am High and Mighty (Aliun Azeem) and I have granted him a branch from My Names. I am the Creator of the skies and the earth and this is Fatima (a.s.), that is, she is the separator of My enemies from My Mercy on Judgment Day and also is the distancer of My friends from the causes of defects in them and thus I have granted her a branch from My names and this is Hasan (a.s.) and this is Husain (a.s.) and I am the Mohsin (the Benefactor) and Mujmal (the provider of good) and I have branched the names of these two also from My names and these five personalities are the most high ranking and dearly selected from My creation and I will accept all obedience and worships because of them, grant forgiveness due to them, chastise the evildoers on account of them and will reward good-doers due to them and therefore, O Adam! You should take Waseelah (medium) while approaching Me and whenever you face any calamity, make them your intercessor while praying and asking from Me because I have vowed not to disappoint anyone who asks from Me by making them intercessors.

The Imam (a.s.) says that this is why when Adam (a.s.) erred (Tark-e-Awla) and he, thereafter, giving the mediation (Waseelah) of these five personalities, sought forgiveness from Him, the Almighty Allah accepted his repentance and pardoned him.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Exegesis of Surah Baqarah: Verse 2:35-39​

Regarding the Almighty’s words:

وَقُلْنَا يَا آدَمُ اسْكُنْ أَنْتَ وَزَوْجُكَ الْجَنَّةَ وَكُلَا مِنْهَا رَغَدًا حَيْثُ شِئْتُمَا وَلَا تَقْرَبَا هَٰذِهِ الشَّجَرَةَ فَتَكُونَا مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ {35}
فَأَزَلَّهُمَا الشَّيْطَانُ عَنْهَا فَأَخْرَجَهُمَا مِمَّا كَانَا فِيهِ ۖ وَقُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا بَعْضُكُمْ لِبَعْضٍ عَدُوٌّ ۖ وَلَكُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ مُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمَتَاعٌ إِلَىٰ حِينٍ {36}
فَتَلَقَّىٰ آدَمُ مِنْ رَبِّهِ كَلِمَاتٍ فَتَابَ عَلَيْهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ {37}
قُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا مِنْهَا جَمِيعًا ۖ فَإِمَّا يَأْتِيَنَّكُمْ مِنِّي هُدًى فَمَنْ تَبِعَ هُدَايَ فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ {38}
وَالَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا وَكَذَّبُوا بِآيَاتِنَا أُولَٰئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ ۖ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ {39}
And We said: O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the garden and eat from it a plenteous (food) wherever you wish and do not approach this tree, for then you will be of the unjust. But the Shaitan made them both fall from it, and caused them to depart from that (state) in which they were; and We said: Get forth, some of you being the enemies of others, and there is for you in the earth, an abode and a provision for a time. Then Adam received (some) words from his Lord, so He turned to him mercifully; surely He is Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful. We said: Go forth from this (state) all; so surely there will come to you a guidance from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve. And (as to) those who disbelieve in and reject My communications, they are the inmates of the fire, in it they shall abide. Surah Baqarah 2:35-39

Simply: O Adam! (We said): You and your wife may live here in Paradise and eat its fruits and eatables from wherever you like and be gratified freely. But don’t approach this particular tree, otherwise you will become oppressors. But Satan cheated and lured both of them and got them driven out of Paradise.

And We said: O Adam and Hawwa! And O Iblees! Fall down from Paradise, as some of you are enemies of some and now there is for you place to live on earth and to be benefited therefrom for a limited period of time.

And Adam learned words of repentance from his Lord. So Allah accepted their repentance (Taubah) as only He is the acceptor of repentance and Most Merciful. We said: All of you! Get down from Paradise. Thereafter, if there comes to you guidance from Us, those who adopt disbelief and deny Our signs, are from the people of Hell and they will dwell therein forever.

Imam Hasan Askari (a.s.) said: Allah branded Iblees as cursed due to the latter’s refusal when he and angels were ordered to prostrate before Adam and Hawwa. Then Allah commanded them to go to Paradise and said:

وَقُلْنَا يَا آدَمُ اسْكُنْ أَنتَ وَزَوْجُكَ الْجَنَّةَ وَكُلَا مِنْهَا رَغَدًا حَيْثُ شِئْتُمَا وَلَا تَقْرَبَا هَـٰذِهِ الشَّجَرَةَ فَتَكُونَا مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the garden and eat from it a plenteous (food) wherever you wish and do not approach this tree. Surah Baqarah 2:35

Simply: O Adam you and your wife may go and live in Paradise and therefrom freely eat anything you like, but don’t go near this tree, that is the tree of Ilm (knowledge) of Muhammad and Aale Muhammad, because the Almighty Allah has restricted it only for them (from among His entire creation). That is why Allah said:

وَقُلْنَا يَا آدَمُ اسْكُنْ أَنتَ وَزَوْجُكَ الْجَنَّةَ وَكُلَا مِنْهَا رَغَدًا حَيْثُ شِئْتُمَا وَلَا تَقْرَبَا هَـٰذِهِ الشَّجَرَةَ فَتَكُونَا مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
And do not approach this tree. Surah Baqarah 2:35

Simply: Do not approach the tree of knowledge, because it was especially for Muhammad and his progeny and none except them has anything to do with it. By the Command of Allah, only they could eat the fruits of this tree. And after feeding a poor person, an orphan and a prisoner, what was eaten by the Holy Prophet, Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Husain (a.s.) was the fruit of this very tree, whereafter they never experienced any kind of hunger and thirst nor any trouble.

Moreover, another specialty of this tree over all other trees in Paradise was that whereas all trees could produce only one kind of fruit, this tree bore all kinds of fruits and eatables like wheat, grapes, figs etc. That is why description givers have differed in their opinion about this tree. Some say that it was a wheat plant and some say it was grapevine. Some have said that it was a fig tree and in some persons’ opinion it was a jujube tree. Allah Almighty said:

And do not approach this tree. Surah Baqarah 2:35

You should, with a view to equal the rank of Muhammad and Aale Muhammad (a.s.) not approach this tree, because Almighty has granted this higher rank only to them among all of His creation. It is such that whoever eats from it with Allah’s permission is granted, without learning, all knowledge of the past and present (in his heart). But whoever eats from it without divine permission, will never attain his aim and will become a disobedient one of Allah.

For then you will be of the unjust. Surah Baqarah 2:35

Simply: If you do so, because of this sin of wishing for the high rank (which Allah has destined for others than you) both of you will turn oppressors, if you wish for it without Allah’s sanction. Then Allah says:

أَزَلَّهُمَا الشَّيْطَانُ عَنْهَا فَأَخْرَجَهُمَا مِمَّا كَانَا فِيهِ وَقُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا بَعْضُكُمْ لِبَعْضٍ عَدُوٌّ وَلَكُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ مُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمَتَاعٌ إِلَىٰ حِينٍ
But the Shaitan made them both fall from it. Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: Satan cheated both of them, through doubts and delusion.

First he approached Adam and said:

... وَقَالَ مَا نَهَاكُمَا رَبُّكُمَا عَنْ هَـٰذِهِ الشَّجَرَةِ إِلَّا أَن تَكُونَا مَلَكَيْنِ
Your Lord has not forbidden you this tree except that you may not both become two angels. Surah Araaf 7:20

Simply: The reason for which Allah has disallowed you from this tree is that if you eat from its fruits, you will become angels and gain the knowledge of the unseen, and you will attain the power possessed by Allah’s special servants.

أَوْ تَكُونَا مِنَ الْخَالِدِينَ
Or that you may (not) become of the immortals. Surah Araaf 7:20

Simply: That is you will remain alive forever and never die.

وَقَاسَمَهُمَا إِنِّي لَكُمَا لَمِنَ النَّاصِحِينَ
And he swore to them both: Most surely I am a sincere advisor to you. Surah Araaf 7:21

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Simply: Taking an oath, he said: I advise both of you and I am your well-wisher and at that moment Iblees was sitting in the mouth of a serpent, which was admitted in Paradise. His Eminence, Adam had imagined that the snake was talking with him and he did not know that satan was hiding in its mouth.

So Adam replied: O Snake! This is devilish cheating. How can our Lord be dishonest towards us? How is it that you swear by His Lordship while you also are of the opinion that He is dishonest? The truth is that Allah is Merciful of all mercifuls. How can I desire to do this ? How can I do what He has prohibited me? How can I disobey the Almighty? When Iblees became disappointed with Adam (a.s.) he went to Lady Hawwa (a.s.) and repeated the same dialogue with her. She also thought that the snake was talking to her.

The devil told Hawwa: You are unaware of the fact that though Allah had disallowed this tree to you but now He has lifted that ban, because He got convinced that you obeyed Him thoroughly and have respected His Command. The proof of what I say is that angels in charge of this tree are driving away all living beings in Paradise from approaching it.

But if you intend to go there, they will not stop you and thus you know that the tree has now been made permissible to eat. And also hear that if you eat from it before Adam does, you will override him and he will become obedient to your wishes. Hearing this, lady Hawwa replied: Just now, I will check up by approaching the tree.

So when she got nearer, the angels tried to stop her, but Allah Almighty revealed to angels: To use force for driving away is proper in case of animals, not human beings. You should not use force with human beings, because I have given them intelligence and sense.

Therefore do not use any force and leave her to her wisdom. I have made intelligence My argument. So whoever will obey My Commands, will be entitled to My Reward and one who will disregard My orders, will get My anger and punishment. So the angels did not forcibly prevent Hawwa and allowed her to reach the tree, which made her imagine that this tree has indeed been made permissible for her. She said: The snake told the truth.

Then she ate from that tree’s fruit and did not find any change in herself. So she went to His Eminence, Adam and said: Do you not know that Allah has now made this tree permissible for us? I have eaten from it. Neither angels prevented me nor do I find any change in myself thereafter. Now Adam also fell in illusion and ate from that fruit. Now what happened to both of them is described by the Almighty in these words:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
فَأَزَلَّهُمَا الشَّيْطَانُ عَنْهَا فَأَخْرَجَهُمَا مِمَّا كَانَا فِيهِ وَقُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا بَعْضُكُمْ لِبَعْضٍ عَدُوٌّ وَلَكُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ مُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمَتَاعٌ إِلَىٰ حِينٍ
But the Shaitan made them both fall from it, and caused them to depart from that (state) in which they were. Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: Satan made them drop from Paradise and deprived them of its bounties.

فَأَزَلَّهُمَا الشَّيْطَانُ عَنْهَا فَأَخْرَجَهُمَا مِمَّا كَانَا فِيهِ وَقُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا بَعْضُكُمْ لِبَعْضٍ عَدُوٌّ وَلَكُمْ فِي الْأَرْضِ مُسْتَقَرٌّ وَمَتَاعٌ إِلَىٰ حِينٍ
And We said: Get forth, some of you being the enemies of others. Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: We said: O Adam and Hawwa! And O snake! And O Iblees! All of you go down to the lower earth. Some of you are the enemies of others, that is, Adam and Hawwa and their progeny are enemies of the snake and of Iblees; and O Adam and your progeny! The snake and Iblees are your enemies.

and there is for you in the earth an abode… Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: In the earth there is residence and provision for you…

And a provision for a time. Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: And benefits until you die.

Then God says:

فَتَلَقَّىٰ آدَمُ مِن رَّبِّهِ كَلِمَاتٍ فَتَابَ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّهُ هُوَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ
Then Adam received (some) words from his Lord. Surah Baqarah 2:37

Simply: Adam learned some words from his Lord and then he repeated them…

فَتَلَقَّىٰ آدَمُ مِن رَّبِّهِ كَلِمَاتٍ فَتَابَ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّهُ هُوَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ
So He turned to him mercifully. Surah Baqarah 2:37

Simply: Allah, due to those words, accepted his repentance.

Surely He is Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful. Surah Baqarah 2:37

Simply: He is the Acceptor of Taubah and merciful for repenters.

قُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا مِنْهَا جَمِيعًا فَإِمَّا يَأْتِيَنَّكُم مِّنِّي هُدًى فَمَن تَبِعَ هُدَايَ فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
We said: Go forth from this (state) all. Surah Baqarah 2:38

Simply: First Allah had ordered that Adam and Hawwa should get down from Paradise and now He again commanded: All of you get down and that no one should try to overtake another. Adam and Hawwa were downed from Paradise and so also was the snake, because it was one of the best animals of Paradise. But Iblees was sent down from the precincts of Paradise because entrance to Paradise was disallowed for him.

قُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا مِنْهَا جَمِيعًا فَإِمَّا يَأْتِيَنَّكُم مِّنِّي هُدًى فَمَن تَبِعَ هُدَايَ فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
So surely there will come to you a guidance from Me. Surah Baqarah 2:38

Simply: O Adam and Iblees: If a guidance comes to you from Me,

Then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve. Surah Baqarah 2:38

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Simply: Whoever will follow My guidance will have no fear of any kind, whereas the disobedient and opponents will remain fearful and frightened and sorrowful.

The Holy Imam says: When Adam (a.s.) failed to cling to the preferable and left it, he confessed to his sin and sought pardon saying: O Lord! Kindly accept my repentance and excuse and grant me my earlier rank and raise my status, because the effect of this fault of mine has appeared in all parts of my body. At that time, Almighty said: O Adam! Do you not remember that I had called upon you that when you face calamities and troubles, you must give the mediation of Muhammad and his progeny (a.s.) and then you should pray to Me? Adam said: Indeed O Lord! I do recall it.

Allah said: Seek the mediation, especially of Muhammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Husain (a.s.) and ask from Me. I will answer your request and grant you more than your want. Adam submitted: O Allah! O my Lord! Their rank, in my sight, has reached so much that, through their mediation, my mistake has been pardoned by You, though You had commanded the angels to prostrate before me and You made Your Paradise available to me and You married Your slave-girl, Hawwa, with me and You made angels my servants (how much beneficent You are)!

In reply, Almighty said: O Adam! I had asked angels to prostrate only because you were the container of these Five Precious Personalities and had you, before your mistake, requested me, making them mediators to protect you from mistake and even to make you aware of the delusion of Iblees for being protected from his evil, I would have accepted that request also. But whatever becomes known to Me earlier comes true. Now you may pray to Me making them your Waseelah. I will certainly accept it.

Then Adam (a.s.) prayed like this: O Allah, I give You the Waseelah of Muhammad (S) and of his Purified Progeny, I repeat, of the mediation of Muhammad, Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Husain (a.s.) and of their progeny (a.s.), please forgive my mistake and make me regain the rank You have so graciously granted to me and grant me more through Your generosity.

In reply the Almighty Allah said: O Adam! I have accepted your prayer and am pleased with you and I have turned My gifts and grants towards you and re-established you to your earlier rank, which I had granted you by My grace and now I have given full benefits of My unfathomable bounties. So the divine words…

تَلَقَّىٰ آدَمُ مِن رَّبِّهِ كَلِمَاتٍ فَتَابَ عَلَيْهِ إِنَّهُ هُوَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ
Then Adam received (some) words from his Lord, so He turned to him mercifully; surely He is Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful. Surah Baqarah 2:37

…imply as explained. Thereafter, addressing those whom Allah sent down from Paradise to earth viz. Adam, Hawwa, Iblees and snake, the Almighty said:

and there is for you in the earth an abode… Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: And for you is in the earth, a place to dwell and stay, so that you may pass your lives here and make efforts in its days and nights to earn the Hereafter. Fortunate is one who, while living in the passing world, earns and makes preparations for the next permanent world.

And a provision for a time. Surah Baqarah 2:36

Simply: And for you there is benefit till you die, because Allah will grow your grain fields, provide fruits and allow you there to live happily and also try you by entangling you in difficulties. Sometimes He will give you ample worldly bounties, so that you may remember and think of the bounties of the Hereafter, which do not have the effects of worldly bounties and which will turn the worldly bounties as bad in your sight and will make you leave them.

Also He will sometimes, trap you in such calamities, which have therein mercy, which will release the trapped people from all defects, so that by making you taste such hardships, He saves you from chastisement of eternal Hereafter, which will not have even an iota of relief and ease.

Explanation of the verse…

فَتَلَقَّىٰ آدَمُ مِنْ رَبِّهِ كَلِمَاتٍ فَتَابَ عَلَيْهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ التَّوَّابُ الرَّحِيمُ {37}
قُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا مِنْهَا جَمِيعًا ۖ فَإِمَّا يَأْتِيَنَّكُمْ مِنِّي هُدًى فَمَنْ تَبِعَ هُدَايَ فَلَا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ {38}
Then Adam received (some) words from his Lord, so He turned to him mercifully; surely He is Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful. We said: Go forth from this (state) all; so surely there will come to you a guidance from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve. Surah Baqarah 2:37-38

…ends here.

Now Allah says:

وَالَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا وَكَذَّبُوا بِآيَاتِنَا أُولَـٰئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ
And (as to) those who disbelieve in and reject My communications… Surah Baqarah 2:39

Simply: And those who became disbeliever (ungrateful) and who denied Our Signs, which were proving the truthfulness of Muhammad (S) that what he has narrated as the events of the past and that he has described as the grace of God for Ali and his Purified Progeny is absolutely true and correct that they are, after Muhammad (S), higher in ranks than the entire creation of Allah.

أُولَـٰئِكَ
They are… Surah Baqarah 2:39

Simply: These people who do not believe in the truthfulness of Muhammad’s words about the excellence of Ali (a.s.), the legatee of the prophet, and his purified progeny and who oppose it are:

أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ
…the inmates of the fire, in it they shall abide. Surah Baqarah 2:39

Simply: The people of Hell and they will remain therein forever.

My Comment: The Tree that abides forever and the authority that not end, is the one Ahlulbayt (a) had and will continue to have. They are the blessed tree of knowledge of good and evil, and "eat not" of it, meant do not go to them with envy seeking to attain their station.