• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamics only: The Nephilim

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I say the Nephilim existed by the process of evolution. No angels, I mean demons, involved.

Let's reason on it, shall we?

It is not a good thing to believe imo that angels were allowed by God to form human bodies for themselves. For more than two reasons. 1. God is not a criminal 2. If man is made in God's image and angels can form bodies, why can't we? Christ Joshua never even replaced a limb. Why not?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I forgot to put Christian in the title again. I'm sorry. The reason why it is same faith debates is because many people think it is all hog wash. So I need the debate to be for people who trust the Bible is actually saying something worthwhile. Is there anyone like that?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How is God a criminal if angels are allowed to make bodies to commit a crime with? It's called aiding and abetting.

How is having sex with humans a crime for angels? Two kinds of flesh cannot make one flesh. They say the women were married to the demons. Oh brother!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the Word of God is power it is only power if it is understood correctly imo.

Hebrews 4:12

I believe it is power but to fall into disobedience like verse 11 says means to think what you damn well please. Or worse....to think in a way to please a man, or a woman.

11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience 12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I forgot to put Christian in the title again. I'm sorry. The reason why it is same faith debates is because many people think it is all hog wash. So I need the debate to be for people who trust the Bible is actually saying something worthwhile. Is there anyone like that?
I have edited your title to include the words "Christians only". I could edit it to "Abrahamics only", or "Jews and Christians only", if you would prefer something broader.

While I am here, I would like to remind everyone else:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

[...]

The Same Faith Debates subforum is specifically for debate between members of the same faith. Members that are not part of a same faith debate thread's selected faith may not post at all in those threads. The Political "Only" subforums are also used specifically for that group and may not be posted in by members that do not correspond to the political position of the subforum. These two forums are colored purple.

And with that, I withdraw from the thread.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What if the story is mythic and not literal?

It can't be a story because it isn't a story. A story has a beginning, middle and end and this account we are talking about is too short to be a story. It is not literal either. It is an allegory, I am sure. If it is allegory we must know what it means for it to be of any benefit.

Thank you for coming to my thread. It means a lot to me. :p

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you Odion. It is for debate as it is not a DIR I think. But usually I end up debating with myself which is weird.

I think Christians, Jews and Muslims are welcome as each persuasion believes the Bible more or less.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thank you Odion. It is for debate as it is not a DIR I think. But usually I end up debating with myself which is weird.

I think Christians, Jews and Muslims are welcome as each persuasion believes the Bible more or less.
I've changed it to Abrahamics only, then. :)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It can't be a story because it isn't a story. A story has a beginning, middle and end and this account we are talking about is too short to be a story. It is not literal either. It is an allegory, I am sure. If it is allegory we must know what it means for it to be of any benefit.

Thank you for coming to my thread. It means a lot to me. :p
I beg to differ. It is a story, within the larger narrative of the descendents of Noah.

Nephilim refers to "fallen ones," in reference to v. 5: "The LORD saw that the wickedness of humankind was great in the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of their hearts was only evil continually."

It's what happens when the line between mortality and immortality is breached. It happened in the garden, when Eve ate of the fruit that would make her "like God." It happened on the Plain of Shinar, when humans endeavored to build a tower that would reach heaven. It's happening here, as well, and the epic will culminate with the destruction of the earth, just as Eve was punished, and just as humanity was scattered over the face of the earth.

The whole point of the allegory is that we cannot cross the line between humanity/Divinity without dire consequences.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I beg to differ. It is a story, within the larger narrative of the descendents of Noah.

Nephilim refers to "fallen ones," in reference to v. 5: "The LORD saw that the wickedness of humankind was great in the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of their hearts was only evil continually."

It's what happens when the line between mortality and immortality is breached. It happened in the garden, when Eve ate of the fruit that would make her "like God." It happened on the Plain of Shinar, when humans endeavored to build a tower that would reach heaven. It's happening here, as well, and the epic will culminate with the destruction of the earth, just as Eve was punished, and just as humanity was scattered over the face of the earth.

The whole point of the allegory is that we cannot cross the line between humanity/Divinity without dire consequences.

Yes, that's a good explanation. It being part of a story, it is, what does it show us about cause and effect? It means something. But I would bet, if I bet, everything, that it does not mean materialized spirit sons of God. Sons of God can materialize, but it is God who materializes them. They do not have power within to do that. How do I know that? The head of The Christ is God. And the head of angels is not God? No, illogical. So then, if they materialized and caused the badness of hearts, it was God who did it. No? On the other hand, if it means being overcome by spirits to do their willing, well that happens all the time, doesn't it?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Okay, since this has been opened for debate:

Lucifer was a high level angel placed in rulership over this part of the universe. When Christ appeared in this part of the universe Lucifer knew he would soon have to step down so he began his rebellion during the time of Adam and Eve, before Christ bestowed upon the earth.

Christ allowed the rebellion to continue because He had to finish His bestowal to assume the title of leader of the universe and because He wanted all the angels to choose a side. Christ absolutely had the power to dismiss the rebellion outright but He allowed it to continue.

But the angelic beings on the earth, called Nephilim, were completely cut off and they chose sides and mated with humans. The angels who chose Lucifer's side were not against humanity nor were they even against God. The appearence of Christ, to them, was not completely unexpected but still it was change in leadership.

Would you accept a new young leader sent from "The Corporation" over the one you've known your whole life?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK so... the angels are still present, is that right? And their children are still present? If world were to examine everyone's DNA will there be a difference? Why or why not?

1. Are the Nephilim still present?
2. Are their children still present?
3. Are they identifiable?
4. Why are they so quiet? :sarcastic

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If the sons of God were or are present, they being much more highly developed than men, how is it that the Word says Earth is given to man?

Psalm 115:16 The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man