• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamics Only: God

Do you view God as immanent or transcendent?

• God is transcendent.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • God is immanent.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God is equally immanent and transcendent.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • God more transcendent than immanent.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God is more immanent than transcendent.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • None of the choices reflect my view (elaborate below).

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Please read the question and choose the closest answer to your own view. Feel free to elaborate on your choice.

For the purpose of this poll:

Transcendent: Existing beyond the universe or material existence; separate

Immanent: Existing within the limits of experience and knowledge; pervading the universe or material existence

Last edited:

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Just curious, is the basic difference here whether God is "inside" or "outside" the material world?

Colt

In my theology God functions on 7 levels, so I chose the closest in the poll.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Definitely transcendent.
It is not a God that conceives the chaotic nature of the Universe, that is why I do not believe in intelligent design (and neither do scientists).

If God were immanent there would be no injustice, no suffering, etc...

God does want perfection is achieved but it is up to men and nature who have free will.
Hence Evolution.

LightofTruth

Please read the question and choose the closest answer to your own view. Feel free to elaborate on your choice.

Immanent: Existing within the limits of experience and knowledge; pervading the universe or material existence
God has a location. It's called heaven. "Our Father which art in heaven" for example.
Yet God's spirit sustains all life. If He were to withdraw His spirit all life would cease to exist.

Colt

Interesting. Can you share what these 7 levels are?
Yes, I will quote my source:

DEITY AND DIVINITY

Deity functions on personal, prepersonal, and superpersonal levels. Total Deity is functional on the following seven levels:

1. Static—self-contained and self-existent Deity.

2. Potential—self-willed and self-purposive Deity.

3. Associative—self-personalized and divinely fraternal Deity.

4. Creative—self-distributive and divinely revealed Deity.

5. Evolutional—self-expansive and creature-identified Deity.

6. Supreme—self-experiential and creature-Creator-unifying Deity. Deity functioning on the first creature- identificational level as time-space overcontrollers of the grand universe, sometimes designated the Supremacy of Deity.

7. Ultimate—self-projected and time-space-transcending Deity. Deity omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. Deity functioning on the second level of unifying divinity expression as effective overcontrollers and absonite upholders of the master universe. As compared with the ministry of the Deities to the grand universe, this absonite function in the master universe is tantamount to universal overcontrol and supersustenance, sometimes called the Ultimacy of Deity. UB 1955

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Both?

Panentheism - Wikipedia

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes, I will quote my source:

DEITY AND DIVINITY

Deity functions on personal, prepersonal, and superpersonal levels. Total Deity is functional on the following seven levels:

1. Static—self-contained and self-existent Deity.

2. Potential—self-willed and self-purposive Deity.

3. Associative—self-personalized and divinely fraternal Deity.

4. Creative—self-distributive and divinely revealed Deity.

5. Evolutional—self-expansive and creature-identified Deity.

6. Supreme—self-experiential and creature-Creator-unifying Deity. Deity functioning on the first creature- identificational level as time-space overcontrollers of the grand universe, sometimes designated the Supremacy of Deity.

7. Ultimate—self-projected and time-space-transcending Deity. Deity omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. Deity functioning on the second level of unifying divinity expression as effective overcontrollers and absonite upholders of the master universe. As compared with the ministry of the Deities to the grand universe, this absonite function in the master universe is tantamount to universal overcontrol and supersustenance, sometimes called the Ultimacy of Deity. UB 1955
You forgot penultimate and nifty-neato.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That seems a rather peculiar definition of transcendent. My understanding of it is that it means pervading, as well not confined by, the physical universe.

That would be both immanent and transcendent.

These definitions are paraphrased from Merriam-Webster.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

God in my understanding is trancendent. The part og God that is accessable on earth is within each one of us.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That would be both immanent and transcendent.

These definitions are paraphrased from Merriam-Webster.
Yes, but "extending beyond" is not the same as "lying outside". It is the former that most people mean, I think, when speaking about concepts of God.

Transcendent in that context does not generally mean "separate from", since most religions involve a god that is active in the world, though not constrained by it.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I voted for more immanent than transcendent

From a Trinitarian, Christian perspective:

God The Father is transcendent as he doesn't reveal himself although he does hear and (sometimes) answers our prayers - yet he remains somewhat aloof. "our father who art in heaven' - he is involved but he isn't down here on Earth, he rules from afar

The Holy Spirit is immanent, he is everywhere and is the means through which providence works out

Jesus Christ can be either on Earth or in Heaven, so he can be either - but we can relate to him as a human being. When he returns he will be completely immanent

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe God is transcendent, but despite the diversity of beliefs for the 'Source' some call God(s), God cannot be defined as being 'inside nor outside' anything, nor that God relates to humanity on specific different levels nor different ways. God simply exists as the Source of all there is.

The diverse different views of God in different religions represents to a degree and anthropomorphic view of God from the human cultural perspective.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
God as I understand Him is both transcendent and immanent. He is wholly independent above any human conception or attributes including gender or corporeal existence. The finite human mind can not grasp the infinite and so God is incomprehensible exalted beyond any anthropomorphic conception. Although He is considered Omnipresent and Omniscient, He is not the same substance as the phenomenal world. The Baha’i Faith specially rejects anthropomorphism and pantheism.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but "extending beyond" is not the same as "lying outside". It is the former that most people mean, I think, when speaking about concepts of God.

Transcendent in that context does not generally mean "separate from", since most religions involve a god that is active in the world, though not constrained by it.

A god can still be actively involved in something and be transcendent. A god can create and rule something and not be that something. That god is still a separate being from that creation.