• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Religions: Polygamy- yes or no?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
From a religious point of view.....Polygamy - yes or no? And why? Scriptural proof preferred.
(Women especially!!)

IF it's seen from spiritual point of view then I think originally polygamy was used to help women who lost their husbands and men who were wealthy enough could help them out. That is the only reason I can think of when seen from a spiritual point of view (it has nothing to do with sex).

I am a man

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
No. Definitely no.

The ancient Jews may have, and the Muslims do, but let's examine this model.

• The Jews did have multiple wives... at a time when wealth was measured in things like cattle (see Jacob and Esau).
  • But we have the story of King David, and how when he was told a man who had many sheep and viewed them as property while a man had only one, and treated it like a loved one. When a visitor came, he did not take any of his herd, but instead stole the sheep from the one who had only one.
  • Many times, the Jews followed the ways of the non-Jews, child-sacrifice to Moloch (nothing new here, we call it "abortion" and make excuses because inside the body is somehow still your property... hold up, property), adultery, and idol worship. They always wound invaded and enslaved, about a generation later (or less).
  • Lastly, we have Jesus's own teaching about a woman who is widowed many times, and how this law doesn't really work because she's technically still married (see his teaching on divorce).
What have learned here? Polygamy turns women into property, which can be stolen or misused. Divorce is basically an excuse for polygamy. Although God may forgive divorce, the actual point of having one man and one woman is that a relationship is intended, just as there is to be a relationship with God.

When you instead follow the model of "free love" you get broken households. You get fragmented culture. And then your culture gets taken over. Polygamy is adultery, and it screws with our marriage to God. Yup, you heard right. Marriage to God. In fact, guys, we're the wife! God's our husband. The Church (people of God) are the Bride of Christ.

Married to God
What does it mean that the church is the bride of Christ?

When you marry your beloved husband/wife, they are a reflection of the God in all things. Your relationship is intended to be a testament of your eternal union with God. For God is in them, and you. You're supposed to build a relationship, and become close, and faithful to this person.

When you do as the pagans and other unbelievers do, and have multiple wives, promising to love all them equally, that is correct. You love them all equally, not at all. They are like more records or books or other stuff you have. You just see them as a source for sex, and it screws things up.

I write fiction books. And I wrote a menage a trois scene. The problem was, the guy basically wound up letting the girl mostly have lesbian sex (he was kinda an ace, who liked her for her mind and stuff), the girl did so, and the other girl cheated on another guy. The other guy was kinda kept out of the picture (broken family there), and the threesome kind split too. And the thing was, before the original guy and girl had talking scenes and stuff, but now it's difficult to even write anything for the two girls, or anything. There's almost no connection to speak of.

It doesn't work well in fiction, and if the fallout from the last 50 years from the 60s has shown rightly, it doesn't work in real life.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
And I wrote a menage a trois scene. The problem was, the guy basically wound up letting the girl mostly have lesbian sex (he was kinda an ace, who liked her for her mind and stuff), the girl did so, and the other girl cheated on another guy. The other guy was kinda kept out of the picture (broken family there), and the threesome kind split too. And the thing was, before the original guy and girl had talking scenes and stuff, but now it's difficult to even write anything for the two girls, or anything. There's almost no connection to speak of.
I have been writing smut for over a decade and I can tell you, you just need more practice writing threesomes :p

Ellen Brown

From a religious point of view.....Polygamy - yes or no? And why? Scriptural proof preferred.
(Women especially!!)

In Islam, a man may have 3 or 4, but there are rules. 1st wife must approve of all subsequent wives. I have heard different stories about them living in the same home. No woman can be forced into it. In economically developed areas, I do not think that many do it.

Oddly in the Mormon book of Jacob, in Chapter 2 they are to have one wife. Yet, they did it for a time and I have heard various explanations, which I considered lame and tiresome. The one plausible explanation was a short period of the shortage of men. It was a practice that was difficult to stop, and is apparently no longer done in the main church. In one splinter group in the south, where it had been continued, there and there are serious genetic defects. Polygamist community faces rare genetic disorder - Reuters.

Sunni Muslims in Saudi Arabia are facing a similar issue where, I think that up to 1/3 of marriages are not approved.

We Never Know

No Slack
In Islam, a man may have 3 or 4, but there are rules. 1st wife must approve of all subsequent wives. I have heard different stories about them living in the same home. No woman can be forced into it. In economically developed areas, I do not think that many do it.

Oddly in the Mormon book of Jacob, in Chapter 2 they are to have one wife. Yet, they did it for a time and I have heard various explanations, which I considered lame and tiresome. The one plausible explanation was a short period of the shortage of men. It was a practice that was difficult to stop, and is apparently no longer done in the main church. In one splinter group in the south, where it had been continued, there and there are serious genetic defects. Polygamist community faces rare genetic disorder - Reuters.

Sunni Muslims in Saudi Arabia are facing a similar issue where, I think that up to 1/3 of marriages are not approved.

Why is it deemed ok in some cultures for a man to have several wives but we never hear of it being ok for a woman having several husbands?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it deemed ok in some cultures for a man to have several wives but we never hear of it being ok for a woman having several husbands?
Less reproductive benefit. A man can impregnate multiple women and have lots of kids easily. One woman with 3 husbands still needs to wait for each child and she could die after having the first; a man with multiple wives has a sort of genetic insurance.

We Never Know

No Slack
Less reproductive benefit. A man can impregnate multiple women and have lots of kids easily. One woman with 3 husbands still needs to wait for each child and she could die after having the first; a man with multiple wives has a sort of genetic insurance.

So it's BS and only to a males advantage?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
So it's BS and only to a males advantage?
It's to human reproductive advantage in the long term. That women and children tended to die giving/during birth is just a fact and it was dealt with by men having multiple women.

We Never Know

No Slack
It's to human reproductive advantage in the long term. That women and children tended to die giving/during birth is just a fact and it was dealt with by men having multiple women.

That's BS. There's enough humans in the world that carrying on our species doesn't rely on multiple wives. It's not about evolution, it's about horny bigamist dudes

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
That's BS. There's enough humans in the world that carrying on our species doesn't rely on multiple wives. It's not about evolution, it's about horny bigamist dudes
I'm talking about thousands of years ago back in the early days of our ancestors.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I understood that but that thousands of years ago thing still happens today, which makes it about it's about horny bigamist dudes
No, it's about evolutionary psychology and what a given person feels happy doing.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok. Then we humans are not above any animals. Just run and breed with many and all. Understood.
This is why we have marriage, to curtail this, to ensure proper raising of children, resources and so on. No-one is suggesting we go and procreate like mice, but the desire is there, so we have harnessed it. Alongside this, there's the issue of male sex drives generally being higher than women's and having more than one partner is sensible if both women are OK with this, instead of just going sleeping around, acquiring mistresses and so on.

We Never Know

No Slack
This is why we have marriage, to curtail this, to ensure proper raising of children, resources and so on. No-one is suggesting we go and procreate like mice, but the desire is there, so we have harnessed it. Alongside this, there's the issue of male sex drives generally being higher than women's and having more than one partner is sensible if both women are OK with this, instead of just going sleeping around, acquiring mistresses and so on.

Which goes back to my post of....

We Never Know

No Slack
I can see we are done here. I must enjoy wasting my time at 7 AM.

To be honest, I do.
My point is as humans we have came past the evolution drive of other animals of breeding all we can to pass on our genes. We have set standards and morals where we pick one and that's that. We can't be the dog that runs around the neighbourhood knocking up all the dogs in heat.

Edit... We are the only species that use sex as much or more as pleasure as we do for reproduction.