• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic God = Brahman???

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is the Abrahamic God an anthropomorphic personification of the Hinduism's Brahman?

As I understand it, Brahman doesn't have human qualities, but the Abrahamic God has some of the same qualities as Brahman.

So maybe he is?

take a look at their wives, that should help you make a better decision

the hebrew abraham had sarah and hagar as wives

the hindu brahma had saraswati and ghaggar as wives

Abraham = Brahma; Sarah =Saraswati

PearlSeeker

Is the Abrahamic God an anthropomorphic personification of the Hinduism's Brahman?

As I understand it, Brahman doesn't have human qualities, but the Abrahamic God has some of the same qualities as Brahman.

So maybe he is?
Nirguna Brahman = Ein Sof = Bila kaif

PearlSeeker

" ‘Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One’ (Deuteronomy 6:6). When during this part of the prayer service a person recites the word ‘One,’ he should contemplate that the Holy One, blessed be He, is all that truly exists in the universe, for ‘the entire world is filled with His Glory’ (Isaiah 6:3). One must realize that he is nothing, for the essence of a person is his soul, and the soul is but a ‘portion of God Above’ (Shefa Tal 1a). Therefore, nothing truly exists except the Holy One, blessed be He."

Rabbi Dov Ber of Mezeritch, Likkutim Yekarim

SOLITUDE: THE BAAL SHEM TOV'S WAY OF MEDITATION - RABBI DOVID SEARS

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
the hindu brahma had saraswati and ghaggar as wives.
Saraswati (Harahvaiti of the Zoroastrians) was considered wife of the puranic Hindu creator God Brahma by some people. Other people named her Brahmani. River Argandhab in the Kandhar province of Afghanistan also at one time was known as Harahvaiti by Aryans (they basically named the major river of any region where they settled as Saraswati, which literally means 'easy flowing'. Even the old name of River Herat was Sarayu, Haroyu to Zoroastrians, means the same). Saraswati was the major river in the region where Indian Aryans settled (around modern Indian state of Haryana). The exact River Saraswati is not known now. There is a small stream known as Saraswati. The largest river in Haryana today is Ghaggar and when in floods flows in the same channel through which Saraswati is supposed to have flowed. The river is not perennial and dries up in the desert around Marot, District Bahawalnagar in Pakistan. It is distinctly visible in Satellite images. I do not know what trash is written in the site that you gave the link of.

Saraswati.png

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

So maybe he is?

I dont believe he does, but the Christian God is irrelevant to me and my practice, so that could be why.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
In my view the Abrahamic might be a small aspect, or limited view of Saguna Brahman, as in one part in the metaphor of the Blind man and the Elephant, but it's not the whole elephant. Brahman is the whole elephant. Not that it matters.

In Hinduism, we (as atman) merge with Brahman as destiny, a monistic view. Certainly not an Abrahamic view, as far as I know. But what do I know?

Vinayaka, I agree with you 100%, and you put it so much better than I'd have put it!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Saraswati (Harahvaiti of the Zoroastrians) was considered wife of the puranic Hindu creator God Brahma by some people. Other people named her Brahmani. River Argandhab in the Kandhar province of Afghanistan also at one time was known as Harahvaiti by Aryans (they basically named the major river of any region where they settled as Saraswati, which literally means 'easy flowing'. Even the old name of River Herat was Sarayu, Haroyu to Zoroastrians, means the same). Saraswati was the major river in the region where Indian Aryans settled (around modern Indian state of Haryana). The exact River Saraswati is not known now. There is a small stream known as Saraswati. The largest river in Haryana today is Ghaggar and when in floods flows in the same channel through which Saraswati is supposed to have flowed. The river is not perennial and dries up in the desert around Marot, District Bahawalnagar in Pakistan. It is distinctly visible in Satellite images. I do not know what trash is written in the site that you gave the link of.

View attachment 57082

thank you for sharing.

i've often wondered if jerusalem had any relationship to the salem of india

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem,_Tamil_Nadu

the bible claims that abraham came from the east; which makes me wonder if it meant east asia.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

So maybe he is?
It is interesting that Hinduism has evolved to where at least certain forms of it see the Divine as united, rather than fragmented. Brahman is the source underlying the universe by description, and thus shares some similarities with the One God of Abraham. I am reluctant to say anything for sure, but I do believe that we authentically perceive the divine, we just sense he/she/it imperfectly. If you have read the story of the blind men and the elephant you can readily see how different people can perceive the same thing differently.

But you are still left with the question, is God a being of intelligence, or just some natural force?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It is interesting that Hinduism has evolved to where at least certain forms of it see the Divine as united, rather than fragmented. Brahman is the source underlying the universe by description, and thus shares some similarities with the One God of Abraham. I am reluctant to say anything for sure, but I do believe that we authentically perceive the divine, we just sense he/she/it imperfectly. If you have read the story of the blind men and the elephant you can readily see how different people can perceive the same thing differently.

But you are still left with the question, is God a being of intelligence, or just some natural force?
Many Hindus, including Gandhi, believe that Brahman is the same as the Abrahamic "God" and use that latter name when conversing in English.