• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About using the spiritual teaching (religious teaching) we follow our self

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When we chose to follow a certain religion or spiritual teaching, i just realized that it will be difficult to use that teaching to discuss or debate other people's beliefs. if we were to use it, we would need to compare both teachings and say, This is what the teaching of "example Falun Gong" say about a topic, then to discuss with people from other paths we would need to find their example of the same topic, and instead of saying, your teaching is wrong because of this..... and my teaching is right because of.
It would be a lot more good if we could as, why do you think/understand the teaching you follow the way you do, and what do you think of this teaching, then show the same topic explained in the teaching you follow. in this way, we don't judge the other teaching, but we let the follower explain it from their understanding.

Any thoughts?

leov

When we chose to follow a certain religion or spiritual teaching, i just realized that it will be difficult to use that teaching to discuss or debate other people's beliefs. if we were to use it, we would need to compare both teachings and say, This is what the teaching of "example Falun Gong" say about a topic, then to discuss with people from other paths we would need to find their example of the same topic, and instead of saying, your teaching is wrong because of this..... and my teaching is right because of.
It would be a lot more good if we could as, why do you think/understand the teaching you follow the way you do, and what do you think of this teaching, then show the same topic explained in the teaching you follow. in this way, we don't judge the other teaching, but we let the follower explain it from their understanding.

Any thoughts?
If teaching is not helpful to shine light on good and evil and choose good...

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If anything in teachings calls to harm others.
If some text in spiritual teaching says we should harm others does not make all of the teaching evil, and we could choose to not follow that part where we feel it is evil.
And could it be that those texts have been misunderstood and used in the wrong way, that it does not mean we should be evil toward others?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Any thoughts?
it's why I think religion and spirituality is a very intimate and personal thing. I'm not a very big fan of communal religion.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Every individual is a unique perspective. There is no need for us all to be on the same spiritual path. The buck stops at virtues vs. vices. A spiritual path seeks to attain to a higher ultimate good.

One takes comfort in Ceasing to exist, and yet another is in search of the eternal for either love of life or fear of death. One loves life and is one day glad it ends. Another loves life and seeks a never-ending road.

So long as the road your on is worthy to you, then who is to tell you it is wrong to live it.

It seems that every spiritual path seeks a maximum goodness. We don't all have the same conscience, but maybe one day after trials and errors of living, maybe all of us will come to a universality of what is good and what ain't.

What does anybody really know? Most of my journey is spent not knowing. So I boiled it all down to virtues and vices. The virtues I want to live. Vices I seek to avoid. Actuality pulls me one way, my inspiration for a higher good pulls me the other way away from human nature.

But human nature must be given its due. Perhaps one day we will all shed the lower nature for the higher nature. Any path that doesn't account for human nature is sure to lead to devastating disappointment.

Can we even be masters of our own lives? No we all have to find ways that best suits our own individuality. One has no use of self, the other finds great meaning and purpose in identity. Who's right?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Every individual is a unique perspective. There is no need for us all to be on the same spiritual path. The buck stops at virtues vs. vices. A spiritual path seeks to attain to a higher ultimate good.

One takes comfort in Ceasing to exist, and yet another is in search of the eternal for either love of life or fear of death. One loves life and is one day glad it ends. Another loves life and seeks a never-ending road.

So long as the road your on is worthy to you, then who is to tell you it is wrong to live it.

It seems that every spiritual path seeks a maximum goodness. We don't all have the same conscience, but maybe one day after trials and errors of living, maybe all of us will come to a universality of what is good and what ain't.

What does anybody really know? Most of my journey is spent not knowing. So I boiled it all down to virtues and vices. The virtues I want to live. Vices I seek to avoid. Actuality pulls me one way, my inspiration for a higher good pulls me the other way away from human nature.

But human nature must be given its due. Perhaps one day we will all shed the lower nature for the higher nature. Any path that doesn't account for human nature is sure to lead to devastating disappointment.

Can we even be masters of our own lives? No we all have to find ways that best suits our own individuality. One has no use of self, the other finds great meaning and purpose in identity. Who's right?
Yes your words are true :)

leov

If some text in spiritual teaching says we should harm others does not make all of the teaching evil, and we could choose to not follow that part where we feel it is evil.
And could it be that those texts have been misunderstood and used in the wrong way, that it does not mean we should be evil toward others?
Just learn how the followers apply the text, e. g. jihad in Sufi understanding.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Jihad is inner path, inner struggle with lower self.
As far as I know, yes that is one translation of the word Jihad, but there can be other meanings too I would think. I don't know the Islamic, Sufi, Baha'i teaching enough to speak on their behalf about true meaning of Jihad

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Jihad is inner path, inner struggle with lower self.
I always wanted to know about Jihad. On the surface it sounds awful and vengeful the way people interpret it. Interesting that you say it is an inner struggle.