• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About to retire

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Couldn't agree more. Though 74, I haven't retired, simply because I don't want to -- I like getting up in the morning and having something to go to and work that needs to be done. I doubt I'll retire, but heck, and my age, it my be "urged" upon me, as it were.
Though 69, I haven't retired, simply because I don't want to. I like getting up in the morning and having something to do that needs to be done. There are other reasons I do not retire, the least of which is that I need the money. My husband has health problems and does not want to go anywhere so there is no reason to retire. I might have retired if I had to work in the office but I have been permanently been approved to work from home. Covid compelled everyone to work at home over two years ago, but some people have gone back to working in the office. It makes more sense for me to work from home since there is no need for me to be in the office for anything and my husband needs me at home.

Viker

Häxan
Take some real time off and spoil yourself.

I'm thinking of early retirement myself. Just not anytime real soon.

RestlessSoul

I'm semi-retired, which means I still have to work for financial reasons, but not very hard. I don't have much responsibility and, probably because I'm 61, no one seems inclined to give me much. I love not having to tell other people what to do, but I do like giving a bit of support to stressed out colleagues.

I'm a bit frightened of retiring tbh, but as a wise American once said "there is nothing to fear but fear itself."

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm a bit frightened of retiring tbh, but as a wise American once said "there is nothing to fear but fear itself."
I am also frightened of retiring because I know I could never get another job like the one I have, and there is no reason for me to retire presently, so why retire, just because everyone else retires at the magic age of 65? I am sure they have something to look forwards to doing, like traveling or spending time with grandchildren, and I have neither. All I have is a chronically ill husband who had no interest in doing anything even when he was well, and it is not as if I can travel alone and leave him at home because he cannot take care of himself.

RestlessSoul

I am also frightened of retiring because I know I could never get another job like the one I have, and there is no reason for me to retire presently, so why retire, just because everyone else retires at the magic age of 65? I am sure they have something to look forwards to doing, like traveling or spending time with grandchildren, and I have neither. All I have is a chronically ill husband who had no interest in doing anything even when he was well, and it is not as if I can travel alone and leave him at home because he cannot take care of himself.

I hope your circumstances improve soon. You never know what's around the corner.

Incidentally, I respect you for your loyalty to your husband.

JIMMY12345

I will be retiring from my teaching position at the end of the school year this June.

Anyone have any friendly advice?
Time expands.
Read and buy a bicycle.
Before you volunteer shadow or try provisionally for a few weeks.
Do a thread on bucket lists and Happy retirement.