• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About to retire

Shaul

Premium Member
I will be retiring from my teaching position at the end of the school year this June.

Anyone have any friendly advice?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You want advice? Mine is from my experience - take a month or so off to relax and then volunteer at something that helps people. At least that's what I did and I'm really happy about what I've been doing in the 10 years since I left the work world.

Shaul

Premium Member
You want advice? Mine is from my experience - take a month or so off to relax and then volunteer at something that helps people. At least that's what I did and I'm really happy about what I've been doing in the 10 years since I left the work world.
Thanks

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I will be retiring from my teaching position at the end of the school year this June.

Just enjoy your retirement, do with your time what pleases you.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you looking for advice about what to do or do you have some ideas in mind? Leadership is an important skill that can be applied in many areas. I see teaching as a leadership area. Perhaps there is something you have been interested in for some time and didn't have the opportunity or the time to approach it.

Shaul

Premium Member
Only a question - Why?
I love teaching and helping my students. But time is moving on. My wife and I need more time together. She is very supportive of my teaching. But she isn’t wrong or selfish for wanting us to spend more time together. The timing is right.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Keep making your bed in the mornings. Brush your teeth and hair. Maybe your wife will do the same for you.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Manage your finances wisely. Other than that do whatever makes you happy,

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Couldn't agree more. Though 74, I haven't retired, simply because I don't want to -- I like getting up in the morning and having something to go to and work that needs to be done. I doubt I'll retire, but heck, and my age, it my be "urged" upon me, as it were.

In that event, my plan is to volunteer helping new Canadians write resumes that market themselves, and learn solid interviewing skills (I'm an expert at both) so that they can get decent jobs, for which they have the skills, rather than having to take a backward step just because they're from elsewhere and speak with accents.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Find a purpose for living. Don't vegetate. A man with purpose lives healthier and longer than one who doesn't.

Congrats :)

I've no idea about retirement, but my completely uninformed advice would be:

If you are someone who needs to be kept busy, volunteer to teach something or other a day or two per week to keep up the old routine.

If you are happy finding your own amusement but need structure, get a hobby or two and get yourself a routine and/or a project or 2 on whatever you enjoy. Write something, do some woodwork, whatever you enjoy.

If you are happy without structure, just do whatever tickles your fancy whenever it tickle you fancy.

If all else fails, just complain about "the youth of today..." :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I wish I could give you some advice but I have not retired yet myself and I am not seeing retirement on the horizon either.

Retirement is for people who have something enjoyable to look forward to doing and such is not my situation. It is somewhat unsettling not knowing if I will ever retire, but I try to just live one day at a time, trusting in God.

I wish you and yours a happy retirement. :)