• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About to give up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I always seem to hit a dead end in RF discussion...no matter what topic in discussion
Dead ends are good. It means there's some kind
of resolution, eg, agree, disagree, merely inform.
Without a dead end, it's just beating a dead horse.
tenor.gif

So you've been doing better than you perhaps thought.
Just accept what is...rather than expecting otherwise.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't confuse friends with acquaintances.
There's a huge difference.
At you too @JustGeorge

I'm pretty good at knowing friend, foe, and acquaintance.

In the real world, I have one person I would call 'friend'. However, I can think of several who believe we're friends, but because of my feelings on them, I will never view them as more than acquaintance.

I only have one foe, but she thinks we're friends. :rolleyes:

Honestly i do not know. I don't feel i can speak freely without getting shut down. Or i can speak without someone has to challenge my belief.

I have come to a point in life where I am comfortable with my personal belief, and don't need others to tell me what I "should believe" because they say so.

I think your beliefs are fine the way they are. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think your beliefs are fine the way they are. :)

I think so too, but certain people in RF seems to disagree, and use any means nesessesary to tell me, my personal belief in God is wrong :rolleyes:....

They don't know 1/3 of my true belief...because i know and understand they would not want it to be given to them.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think so too, but certain people in RF seems to disagree, and use any means nesessesary to tell me, my personal belief in God is wrong :rolleyes:....

They don't know 1/3 of my true belief...because i know and understand they would not want it to be given to them.

Like Dr. Seuss says, "those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

I keep a lot of my beliefs to myself, though, so I get it. I like to share my beliefs with some, but I try not to leave them in the open, lest some bird come and poop on them...

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I only have problems with eternal doom religions, or religions that seek out theocratic rule. Other then that I find God an interesting topic. I mean no offense to anyone's religious convictions.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I agree, I'm here for the same reason.

I'm bad at making friends online. I'm terrible at making friends in the real world. :D
I wasn't always this way in forums. I was only interested in ideas. Now I'm interested in both ideas and making friends.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I wasn't always this way in forums. I was only interested in ideas. Now I'm interested in both ideas and making friends.

I'm relatively new to this. I didn't have internet before Covid. I just wanted to socialize, and religion is probably my biggest interest, so this seemed like a natural place to come.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Do you still like it here though?

The post I made here was inappropriate of me, for which I should apologize. My last two paragraphs stand out to me as particularly inflammatory.

I apologize for the length of this reply, but the answer is complicated.

To be quite honest about your question, no, I have found these forums to be disappointing and frustrating. I am genuinely searching for erudite discussion conducted in a more formal and professional manner. I realize that, since I am not pursuing a degree in religious studies or theology, this was an unrealistic expectation of mine when coming to this forum.

I am not interested in socialization, but there are not many other places where I can practice philosophical discourse. I am acquainted with some individuals with degrees on the subject, but most of their discussions take place in reference to particular papers, often as a part of formal or informal peer-review.

I am coming to realize that this is a more productive method of having such niche conversations and that, if I really want to understand religion, the only recourse I have is to get a degree in it and begin publishing.

The post I made was a declaration of this revelation, to which apparently nobody else was too surprised by. I was mistaken to measure this forum by the wrong rod, so to speak.

By measuring this forum as an outlet for socialization instead, there are users here who I regard with some respect, including you in particular. I'm simply unsure whether I really desire or need a social outlet. I don't think I do. I am a highly introverted shut-in and pathologically asocial.

Still, I will probably not stop posting here entirely, particularly where I think I may be able to give some useful input or contribute to discussion, or if I have questions that I would like a diverse range of opinions on.

Mostly, I am disappointed in myself for letting this forum frustrate me enough to make such an emotionally charged post, especially since that frustration ultimately comes from my own flawed perception. I was in error.