• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About This New Green Deal

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that the American automobile buying public isn't exactly in tune with those that support the "New Green Deal. Seems that in 2018 over 17 million vehicles were purchase and approximately 68% were SUV's and pickups. Not exactly your "green" type cars. Do you really think the American public is going to give-up their love affair with these types of vehicles without a whimper?
The 10 best-selling vehicles in the United States in 2018 were mostly trucks and SUVs

Altfish

Veteran Member
Seems that the American automobile buying public isn't exactly in tune with those that support the "New Green Deal. Seems that in 2018 over 17 million vehicles were purchase and approximately 68% were SUV's and pickups. Not exactly your "green" type cars. Do you really think the American public is going to give-up their love affair with these types of vehicles without a whimper?
The 10 best-selling vehicles in the United States in 2018 were mostly trucks and SUVs
Probably not.
BUT if it is anything like my experience. My last car did 35 (at best) to the gallon; my new car does 52 - I wonder what my net will do?
My car automatically shuts down when I stop and starts again when the car in front moves or I depress the clutch.
The fuel we use is not ideal but it is a lot cleaner than when I was younger.
Battery and solar and other power sources will continue to improve.

So cars will probably always have our undying love but the cars we now drive and what we will drive in the future will not be the same.

tytlyf

Not Religious
No one is banning vehicles esmith (or airplanes).
Another climate change denier and their weak arguments.

Climate change is influenced by man's pollution. If someone tells you otherwise, ignore them.

suncowiam

That's because there's still a surplus of gas AND gas is still cheaper than going green.

I'm not a fan of the green deal either because the current economic plan does not make sense. However, that doesn't mean the overall essence of the green deal is wrong. Time will prove global warming and hindsight will prove if all the money we saved by not going green was our undoing. Or it would prove that we were paranoid and too cautious.

The problem is that most of the scientists in the world seem to agree that global warming is true and is happening. So maybe the current green deal doesn't make sense but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a green deal to replace fossil fuel.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think you understand how this works, esmith: the American public is all in favor of nagging their neighbors into making sacrifices for the sake of the environment. The way it works, as I understand it, is something along the lines of, "If I make enough noise about a good cause that excuses me from actually having to contribute anything to it".

Which is why we still see "GO GREEN" and "SAVE THE EARTH" bumper stickers on VW vans and converted bread trucks that get 8 miles to the gallon and spill oil all over the road.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No one is banning vehicles esmith (or airplanes).
Another climate change denier and their weak arguments.

Climate change is influenced by man's pollution. If someone tells you otherwise, ignore them.
Still waiting for those islands to go underwater.....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Still waiting for those islands to go underwater.....

Would you settle for a starving polar bear?

maxresdefault.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
More right-wing distortion and straw man attacks. It's as predictable as sun. Along with that is ignoring the key provisions and careful wording such as

as is technologically feasible, including through investment in

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Is there a practical, affordable alternative available?

whirlingmerc

On many levels it's a flawed deal. Not the least of which is that a global situation and seems 'incomplete' of a solution at best. Also seems a bit short on practicality.

We Never Know

No Slack
Nope.
Either diesel or gas is the only viable means for the life style in many parts of the U.S.

Some don't think about it much but there are an average of 100,000 flights per day world wide. The Aviation Safety Network estimated there were nearly 37 million flights in 2017.

A plane like a Boeing 747 uses approximately 1 gallon of fuel(about 4 liters) every second. Over the course of a 10-hour flight, it might burn 36,000 gallons (150,000 liters). According to Boeing's Web site, the 747 burns approximately 5 gallons of fuel per mile (12 liters per kilometer).

tytlyf

Not Religious
Nope.
Either diesel or gas is the only viable means for the life style in many parts of the U.S.
And no one said those are going anywhere. Stop living in a paranoid bubble.
You really need to check your radical RW sources. They're lying to you on purpose and you don't even notice it.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Nope.
Kind of silly trying to make out like people are in love with fossil fuel users based on sales figures if no other option is available, then, huh? I keenly await your imminent strawman, generic well poisoning and ad hominem response.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They should be forced to.