• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

about theism

syo

I think theism is when somebody believes that god(s) is real with real powers. there are people who view god(s) only as a symbol or an allegory and they claim to be theists. I think these people are actually atheists and not theists because they interpret god(s) as solely an idea of the human mind.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, I'd agree to that. Especially if we're defining theism as the opposite to deism. As in, theism requires not only a god but an actively involved one. Not everyone defines theism that way though.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would add that much of the significance of theism comes directly from its vagueness. Many people end up uncertain of what it means and end up giving it more importance than it would have otherwise.

Reactions: syo

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I think anyone that wants to call themselves a theist is a theist, since everyone is just making up "the rules" anyways.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I think theism is when somebody believes that god(s) is real with real powers. there are people who view god(s) only as a symbol or an allegory and they claim to be theists. I think these people are actually atheists and not theists because they interpret god(s) as solely an idea of the human mind.
Have to agree. Which is why I find certain kinds of pagans and polytheists a bit weird.

Well observed. The one great flaw in human religions is that humans invent something, in their minds, which they label 'God', and then wonder why it isn't real.
A case of lookin' for God in all the wrong places.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
This is kind of a tricky subject. Personally, I would agree with your position. When asked to define "God" in the context of theism or atheism, I often give a baseline definition of "A supernatural, intelligent agency responsible for the creation and/or maintenance of the Universe and/or some aspect of the Universe". My definition is by no means perfect, and I'm certain that there are plenty of individual definitions of Gods that don't necessarily fit under that umbrella. A common response I get is from deists, some of whom regard "energy" or "the Universe itself" as God. When it comes to that, I usually enquire as to what they mean - whether saying "The Universe is God" actually means anything different to "The Universe is the Universe". If yes, then I am often happy to consider them under the heading of a theist, but if they answer no then they essentially don't believe anything different to what I believe, and the term "God" that they use is merely a nebulous label, so I would consider them atheists.