• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Movies, & What They Mean To You

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One of my all time favorites is Psycho.
It was done on the cheap, yet it looks big budget.
I'm always impressed with the camera work & editing every time I see this movie.
One of the best horror movies of all time.
An astounding subject & treatment for its time.
Bernard Herrmann's score is chilling & inspired....I never tire of listening to it.
(Hitchcock doubled his pay after seeing the effect his music had on the movie.)

Some interesting info....

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
One of my favorites has to be "Hook" with Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. As a kid, I loved it because it was Peter Pan! As an adult, I recognize the inner struggle between wanting to do what you want (being a kid) and understanding greater responsibility. On top of some great slap stick humor and a fun take on a classic story, it will sit at the top of my list for a long time to come!

Acim

Revelation all the time
One of my all time favorites is Psycho.
It was done on the cheap, yet it looks big budget.
I'm always impressed with the camera work & editing every time I see this movie.
One of the best horror movies of all time.
An astounding subject & treatment for its time.
Bernard Herrmann's score is chilling & inspired....I never tire of listening to it.
(Hitchcock doubled his pay after seeing the effect his music had on the movie.)

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the highlighted part.

It ought to be stated as:

One of the best movies of all time.

I generally appreciate the writing of a film foremost. Psycho is very well written. In some ways unmatched. I've not seen a film take what it presents as protagonist (Marion Crane), share a good 1 hour of their current life events and then kill that character off. Other films will kill off secondary characters, but Psycho killed it's primary character (up to that point) off and introduced a whole other tale, that gets deeper and deeper.

So many great lines and symbolism in that film.

I honestly take the score for granted, but realize it is well done. Perhaps I'll watch it again paying attention to that mainly. Feels like every time I do watch Psycho something new reveals itself to me, making me appreciate it on another level.

A boy's best friend is his mother.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I generally appreciate the writing of a film foremost. Psycho is very well written. In some ways unmatched. I've not seen a film take what it presents as protagonist (Marion Crane), share a good 1 hour of their current life events and then kill that character off. Other films will kill off secondary characters, but Psycho killed it's primary character (up to that point) off and introduced a whole other tale, that gets deeper and deeper.

I honestly take the score for granted, but realize it is well done. Perhaps I'll watch it again paying attention to that mainly. Feels like every time I do watch Psycho something new reveals itself to me, making me appreciate it on another level.

I agree it's one of the best movies ever.
But I added "horror" because it typically isn't listed among those greats.
To echo your post, Psycho attacked the status quo in movie making of the time.
Now, when you hear the score, you'll never see it as perfunctory again.

For your viewing and listening pleasure, one of the greatest scenes ever filmed......
Originally supposed to be silent, Herrmann scored it anyway.
I cannot imagine it any other way.

gnomon

Escape......

Understanding.....

Most of all.......absurdity of life.......

Men and Chicken

Kontroll

And truth

I don't look for "best" movies. For example, "The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb" or "Faust" will not reach that level but I love them.

I love those that highlight the absurdity of our lives while at the same time I love those movies that point to the harrow of our lives.

Such as dramas highlighting life such as "Bloody Sunday", "Five Minutes of Heaven", "Waltz with Bashir"....etc.

I also love some classic movies that might not be deemed accessible for modern tastes but I think are great.....

Stalag 17, for example, or Sunset Boulevard, The Hustler, The Grand Illusion, The Trail (starring Anthony Perkins)....anything by Akira Kurosawa or Ingmar Bergman.....

To hell with this......I'm going to watch some movies.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I agree it's one of the best movies ever.
But I added "horror" because it typically isn't listed among those greats.
To echo your post, Psycho attacked the status quo in movie making of the time.
Now, when you hear the score, you'll never see it as perfunctory again.

For your viewing and listening pleasure, one of the greatest scenes ever filmed......
Originally supposed to be silent, Herrmann scored it anyway.
I cannot imagine it any other way.
Who called my name ?.:confused:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Blade Runner is one of my favourite movies. It has a visually beautiful and innovative cinematic style that has been copied over and over by other films. It has brilliant performances by Ford, Young and Hauer. And like all the best science fiction, it uses those science fiction elements to say something about our humanity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

More info...
Bernard Herrmann's Score to 'Psycho'