• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About herd immunity

We Never Know

No Slack
I actually haven't heard of this until recently, to tell you honestly.

Don't shoot the messanger.

Enjoy.

The percentage of people who need to be immune in order to achieve herd immunity varies with each disease. For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated. The remaining 5% will be protected by the fact that measles will not spread among those who are vaccinated.

For polio, the threshold is about 80%. The proportion of the population that must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to begin inducing herd immunity is not known.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Herd immunity, lockdowns and COVID-19.

However herd immunity really never happens with the flu because of new strains(hence yearly fly shots)and the % needed for covid herd immunity, if possible, is an unknown.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Don't shoot the messanger.
Only with a vaccine:D

Thank you for sharing.

I love this guy, and he explains it perfectly. WHO should have done this from the beginning, instead of all the misinformation. Just some clear facts, that's what is useful to change people's mind. WHO failed terribly in their PR, where this young man succeeded perfectly.. very short and precise, to the point

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The percentage of people who need to be immune in order to achieve herd immunity varies with each disease. For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated. The remaining 5% will be protected by the fact that measles will not spread among those who are vaccinated.

For polio, the threshold is about 80%. The proportion of the population that must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to begin inducing herd immunity is not known.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Herd immunity, lockdowns and COVID-19.

However herd immunity really never happens with the flu because of new strains(hence yearly fly shots)and the % needed for covid herd immunity, if possible, is an unknown.

New mutations and strains that limit the development of herd immunity may also be the future of COVID-19.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Only with a vaccine:D

Thank you for sharing.

I love this guy, and he explains it perfectly. WHO should have done this from the beginning, instead of all the misinformation. Just some clear facts, that's what is useful to change people's mind. WHO failed terribly in their PR, where this young man succeeded perfectly.. very short and precise, to the point

Ha. Now you told me that, should I listen to WHOs point of view

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Herd immunity was the original "plan" of the UK government, unofficially, then dropped, then denied. I think the thrust of the argument was everyone carry on as normal, spread it all about and if you survive you can carry on just carrying on.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Herd immunity was the original "plan" of the UK government, unofficially, then dropped, then denied. I think the thrust of the argument was everyone carry on as normal, spread it all about and if you survive you can carry on just carrying on.

I do not believe this is the case for the UK. Please cite a source to support this. I believe Sweden indirectly considered this as a goal, but no 'herd immunity is not something that happens, nor does any government propose this on the s on the short term without vaccines, even then by far most scientists consider this only part of the solution.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I do not believe this is the case for the UK. Please cite a source to support this.

Certainly. Here's two.

"The World Health Organisation urged countries to stamp out infections as soon as they developed, but the UK government's initial scientific advice said the route out of the crisis was for most of us to catch the virus so we could develop herd immunity."

- BBC One - Panorama, Britain’s Coronavirus Gamble

"Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it. Those are the key things we need to do.”
- Sir Patrick Vallance, England’s chief scientific adviser.

- Coronavirus: science chief defends UK plan from criticism

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why shoot the messenger with a good message?
People have been talking about herd immunity, in mainstream media, for at least two years now. What did people think they were talking about?
New mutations and strains that limit the development of herd immunity may also be the future of COVID-19.
Which is why governments are pushing vaccination so strongly; to nip this thing in the bud before too many variants emerge for vaccines to keep up with.
Its an arms race.

We Never Know

No Slack
People have been talking about herd immunity, in mainstream media, for at least two years now. What did people think they were talking about?
Which is why governments are pushing vaccination so strongly; to nip this thing in the bud before too many variants emerge for vaccines to keep up with.
Its an arms race.

Covid isnt going anywhere soon, if at all. Like the flu, pnuemonia and the common cold its likely here to stay.. for quite a while in my opinion.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My biology teacher explained vaccination to us using a metaphor of a giant blanket or bubble

“A blanket that covers the population is more effective with less holes in it than one with massive chunks of the fabric missing.”

When asked about allergies/medical exemptions, my teacher simply shrugged and said, that’s why we try to limit the holes.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Covid isnt going anywhere soon, if at all. Like the flu, pnuemonia and the common cold its likely here to stay.. for quite a while in my opinion.
Agreed. It’s looking like it’s here to stay. But much like the flu, we will have constantly updating vaccinations to counter it every year. The true challenges I see for the future are twofold. If the scientific community can keep a step ahead of the mutations. And if the required amount of herd immunity can remain stable enough to allow for infection rates to be slowed or stopped even.
I have far more optimism in the former than the latter, if I’m honest. Medical experts have beaten pandemics before. What they did not count on is the amount of resistance that has sadly cropped up in recent generations. Ironically because of the complacency caused by previous successes of vaccination programs

We Never Know

No Slack
Agreed. It’s looking like it’s here to stay. But much like the flu, we will have constantly updating vaccinations to counter it every year. The true challenges I see for the future are twofold. If the scientific community can keep a step ahead of the mutations. And if the required amount of herd immunity can remain stable enough to allow for infection rates to be slowed or stopped even.
I have far more optimism in the former than the latter, if I’m honest. Medical experts have beaten pandemics before. What they did not count on is the amount of resistance that has sadly cropped up in recent generations. Ironically because of the complacency caused by previous successes of vaccination programs

We have advanced greatly to tackle diseases and we have also greatly increased the amount of people that travel around worldwide that can easily spread diseases