• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About fossils -- would you say this is true?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So, you think that all we do in science is to flip coins to get answers?
The ostrich defense keeps creationists safe. Most creationists are very very afraid that they are wrong. They seem to know that by keeping themselves ignorant that others cannot force them to face facts.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The ostrich defense keeps creationists safe. Most creationists are very very afraid that they are wrong. They seem to know that by keeping themselves ignorant that others cannot force them to face facts.
Yep, and in the late 1960's I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in largely because of its anti-science positions and its racism.

Audie

Veteran Member
You have no facts to test. You can only guess about creation.
There's a crazy amount of evidence about evolution.

You think there's no factscabout electricity or
the behaviour of gasses?

"Creation" is not a fact. Its only an opinion.

There are countless guesses ( made up stories)
about something like " the great raven) who
" created" the world.

Not one fact anywhere for any of those
guess - stories.

You actually don't know that?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Every DNA molecule is a fact to test.
Every fossilized bone is a fact to test.
Every newly discovered species is a fact to test.
Literally every datapoint is a fact to test.

We don't live in a vacuum.
Creationists think that we do:

1678738779683.png

"I don't seen any evidence."

Apostle John

“Go ahead, look up Revelation 6”
Creationists think that we do:

View attachment 73094

"I don't seen any evidence."
This is really a response to anyone regarding evidential creativity. Get a crate load of a variety of chemicals of your choice from the periodic table. These we shall call the elements of creation. Then demonstrate by just throwing them up in the air to see if you create anything.

Try your best to create an explosion that demonstrates creativity.

Then, to fast forward your mythical beliefs, get hold of some rocks, any kind and bash them together to show that they stick. This should be an easy demonstration.

Audie

Veteran Member
This is really a response to anyone regarding evidential creativity. Get a crate load of a variety of chemicals of your choice from the periodic table. These we shall call the elements of creation. Then demonstrate by just throwing them up in the air to see if you create anything.

Then, to fast forward your mythical beliefs, get hold of some rocks, any kind and bash them together to show that they stick. This should be an easy demonstration.
You have really weird thoughts

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

No you seriously do not know what evidence is. Here is a reasonable question, can you define evidence? What is evidence for creation and why?

And please, no strawman arguments. That is all that you made against reality.

Astrophile

No offence but the millisecond I read this two seagulls started laughing outside my French doors. I like to believe happenings like this are messages from God as I observe the supernatural a lot.

So what is the difference between theory and guesswork?
According to Scientific theory - Wikipedia , 'A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world and universe that has been repeatedly tested and corroborated in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2] In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.[3]'

According to Collins English Dictionary, guesswork is 'a set of conclusions, estimates, etc., arrived at by guessing.' To guess is 'to form or express an uncertain estimate or conclusion (about something), based on insufficient information'. A guess is not supported by repeated testing and corroboration in accordance with the scientific method or under controlled conditions in an experiment. Your interpretation of the laughing seagulls as a message from God is an example of a guess at an explanation.
'

Apostle John

According to Scientific theory - Wikipedia , 'A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world and universe that has been repeatedly tested and corroborated in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2] In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.[3]'

According to Collins English Dictionary, guesswork is 'a set of conclusions, estimates, etc., arrived at by guessing.' To guess is 'to form or express an uncertain estimate or conclusion (about something), based on insufficient information'. A guess is not supported by repeated testing and corroboration in accordance with the scientific method or under controlled conditions in an experiment. Your interpretation of the laughing seagulls as a message from God is an example of a guess at an explanation.
'
So theorising is testing. So with the evolution theory it just means looking at bones in the field and jumping to conclusions, guessing that one species can jump to another- because, it’s a fact, this has never been shown or demonstrated either in the field or the laboratory.

How are you going to test your whacky thoughts about creation. Why can’t you show/test how dust can coagulate to form rocks or do a simple demonstration to show that rocks stick together by randomly bumping into each other. Remember gravity doesn't act like a centrifuge. This can be tested in the field or laboratory.

Astrophile

So theorising is testing. So with the evolution theory it just means looking at bones in the field and jumping to conclusions, guessing that one species can jump to another- because, it’s a fact, this has never been shown or demonstrated either in the field or the laboratory.

How are you going to test your whacky thoughts about creation. Why can’t you show/test how dust can coagulate to form rocks or do a simple demonstration to show that rocks stick together by randomly bumping into each other. Remember gravity doesn't act like a centrifuge. This can be tested in the field or laboratory.
No, it means a lot more than that. With the theory of evolution it means knowing a great deal about all aspects of biology (of living organisms, not just fossils), much more than I know, and, I suspect, much more than you know.

With the theory of the formation of planets and stars, it needs knowing about the dynamics of low-density gas and dust in interstellar clouds and circumstellar discs, and their interaction with stellar radiation and stellar winds. It is not merely rocks randomly bumping into each other.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

So your problem is that you do not understand how concepts can be tested.

And there is no "guessing" in the sciences. One has to test ideas before they are accepted. If you can at least ask properly I will tell you how ideas are tested.

And we have observed new species form in real time in nature. But then you probably do not even understand what a species is.

Apostle John

No, it means a lot more than that. With the theory of evolution it means knowing a great deal about all aspects of biology (of living organisms, not just fossils), much more than I know, and, I suspect, much more than you know.

With the theory of the formation of planets and stars, it needs knowing about the dynamics of low-density gas and dust in interstellar clouds and circumstellar discs, and their interaction with stellar radiation and stellar winds. It is not merely rocks randomly bumping into each other.
No, you‘re wrong to suspect I don’t know, that’s a first class example of how you like guessing. There’s no demonstrations to give the facts so you will always have your inadequate theories

Apostle John

So your problem is that you do not understand how concepts can be tested.

And there is no "guessing" in the sciences. One has to test ideas before they are accepted. If you can at least ask properly I will tell you how ideas are tested.
Just provide a demonstration of rocks sticking.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, you‘re wrong to suspect I don’t know, that’s a first class example of how you like guessing. There’s no demonstrations to give the facts so you will always have your inadequate theories
Actually you either do not know or you are lying. It is a common courtesy to assume that you are not lying.

Are you now claiming that you were openly lying?

Apostle John

Actually you either do not know or you are lying. It is a common courtesy to assume that you are not lying.

Are you now claiming that you were openly lying?
Satan won’t reward all this nonsense you spout on forums under different accounts, you do know that?