• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About fossils -- would you say this is true?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What I am finding is that 1. The use of the time period day does not have to mean a 24 hour period even in the Bible, and 2. the Earth's atmosphere at the early start of preparing the earth for life was not conducive to growing live organisms, scientists do say that also but then Moses specifically wrote that God enabled sunlight to reach the earth. I feel sure that everything God made has a good purpose. Not what mankind does since Adam took it upon himself to be without God's direction. Right now my focus is on evolution and the realistic account in Genesis. Every house has a builder. Even Einstein couldn't figure everything out, I do understand why some people are atheists or agnostic.

The Earth's early atmosphere was not conducive for growth of modern life. It was fine for very early life.

Yes, every house has a builder. The Earth is not a house. If you try to redefine what a house is then you no longer get to make the claim of every house has a builder. That is an argument using silly word games.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
oh boy...
:)
Ok here it is, Hebrews 3:4
"For every house has a builder, but the one who built everything is God."

It depends on your concept of what everything is. Another day, though, for that. Meantime, the complexity of DNA and other structures shows me that there is/must be a higher power. With intelligence.
Do you see how that qualifier changes the argument? It is an illogical conclusion based on what man makes.

But I will agree that it is in the Bible. Sort of.

Now, what do you think that the "All scripture is god inspired" means?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The Earth's early atmosphere was not conducive for growth of modern life. It was fine for very early life.

Yes, every house has a builder. The Earth is not a house. If you try to redefine what a house is then you no longer get to make the claim of every house has a builder. That is an argument using silly word games.
Did I say the earth is a house? Otoh the earth houses animals plants and mankind. If you can't agree to that, it's kinda like no discussion.

YoursTrue

Do you see how that qualifier changes the argument? It is an illogical conclusion based on what man makes.

But I will agree that it is in the Bible. Sort of.

Now, what do you think that the "All scripture is god inspired" means?
It means that God's active force was behind both the writing and preserving of the scrolls.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It means that God's active force was behind both the writing and preserving of the scrolls.
What scrolls. And perhaps you should read the entire passage:

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

There it is. Do you see anything in there that says that the Bible is the "word of God"? No, its merely inspired. It does not say or imply that it is all true. For example if Genesis is merely a collection of morality tales that teach that mankind is not perfect and needs a savior it need not be literally true. It is just there for educational purposes.

And what is worse yet that only covers the Old Testament and perhaps some lost Hebrew writings. Not the New Testament. Do you know why?

We Never Know

No Slack

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

There it is. Do you see anything in there that says that the Bible is the "word of God"? No, its merely inspired. It does not say or imply that it is all true. For example if Genesis is merely a collection of morality tales that teach that mankind is not perfect and needs a savior it need not be literally true. It is just there for educational purposes.

And what is worse yet that only covers the Old Testament and perhaps some lost Hebrew writings. Not the New Testament. Do you know why?

"All Scripture is breathed out by God"

Speaking requires breathing. Try speaking without breathing

YoursTrue

First I don't know what you're talking about when you say "that only covers the Old Testament."

YoursTrue

That shows that you have not studied the Bible at all. Who wrote that verse? When did he write it?
:) 2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Oh so we can kill God by holding our hands over his mouth"

False equivalence and moving the goal post
Nope. That was what you did. I merely continued in the same vein. You should ask yourself why your argument is foolish when I use the same method as you did.

Let me help you out "God breathed" only means inspired by God. It does not mean that God was actually talking.

YoursTrue

The objection is that it is just a pointless argument to make. It only refutes claims about understanding evolution at best.
I've thought about the supposed process of evolution. I know experiments have taken place that seem to demonstrate that life somehow comes about by chemical reactions but again, elements were there before the experiment and sparks were introduced causing a reaction. The experiment was placed by men. (Didn't just happen by "natural selection.")
Meantime, I really do need to study if I can about the timing process, not particularly of rocks, but rather of the fossils and supposed estimates of when humans appeared.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've thought about the supposed process of evolution. I know experiments have taken place that seem to demonstrate that life somehow comes about by chemical reactions but again, elements were there before the experiment and sparks were introduced causing a reaction. The experiment was placed by men. (Didn't just happen by "natural selection.")
Meantime, I really do need to study if I can about the timing process, not particularly of rocks, but rather of the fossils and supposed estimates of when humans appeared.

You are now conflating abiogenesis and evolution. Evolution deals with the changes in life after it existed.

And you also demonstrated that you do not understand how experiments have to done. Tell me, how could the experiments have occurred if they were not "done by men"? That has to be one of the poorest objections that I have ever heard.

At any rate, do you realize that evolution does not depend upon abiogenesis? it is very hard to object to this without shooting oneself in the foot.

YoursTrue

Nope. That was what you did. I merely continued in the same vein. You should ask yourself why your argument is foolish when I use the same method as you did.

Let me help you out "God breathed" only means inspired by God. It does not mean that God was actually talking.
It could. But that is not the real point. Men spoke from God. And God Himself had restrictions. "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture comes from one’s own interpretation. 21For no such prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." (2 Peter 1)