• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About comics who use victims of torture and murder for laughs.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yeah..... But no...... :)

I don't need a comedian to tell me how to accept a sh*t joke. :D

It's like this, (how I see it)..... please let me show you.... I'm not picking on you, I just want the members all to think about this:-

For those (here) who think that such jokes are OK, I want you to imagine that you got attacked today, by a ruthless gang of thugs, who raped and then beat the hell out of you. But you survived and in hospital the next day you heard a joke by a comic on local radio....about you, basically making a laugh out of 'You ain't a very popular person, but at least you got some attention for half an hour'.......... Would that be OK?
I could see myself telling it that way.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yeah..... But no...... :)

I don't need a comedian to tell me how to accept a sh*t joke. :D

It's like this, (how I see it)..... please let me show you.... I'm not picking on you, I just want the members all to think about this:-

For those (here) who think that such jokes are OK, I want you to imagine that you got attacked today, by a ruthless gang of thugs, who raped and then beat the hell out of you. But you survived and in hospital the next day you heard a joke by a comic on local radio....about you, basically making a laugh out of 'You ain't a very popular person, but at least you got some attention for half an hour'.......... Would that be OK?

I mean, you lived.....and you and your loved ones didn't get tortured, murdered and chucked in some pit..... so would that be OK?
I think the point (already made) is the joke only works because the murder of Roma by the nazis tends to be overlooked.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I have not seen Manson's art....will go looking later on. :)

Jokes about holocaust victims, or any victims of hate and violence are just dirt, I think.
Imagine a schoolgirl getting raped and beaten up by a gang of thugs, and the very next day some 3rd rate comic is making jokes about it. Romany kids were being murdered and slung in pits in the holocaust....... the example and the reality above would both be disgusting to joke about.

If you don't like jokes about rape and the holocaust, definitely don't seek out Marilyn Manson's art. It will just upset you.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
These things always make me think of a quote by Terry Pratchett:

"Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying."

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
These things always make me think of a quote by Terry Pratchett:

"Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying."
Exactly.
This kind of muck joke was born on school playgrounds imo, where nasty minds poked fun at separated pupils, easy targets.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Jimmy Carr is wellknown for low-brow, disgusting humour.

Why this is only being picked up now is anyone's guess, because over a decade ago he made a joke about paedophilia and sticking your penis into a little girl's mouth. I saw no uproar.

So this frankly looks a little hypocritical.

I don't think Jimmy Carr is funny and never have, but this is his kind of humour and always has been.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So did I. The punch line came totally out of left field. That's how you tell a joke.
Well I have heard it before, and if I found it funny then it has soon worn off, such that I certainly don't now, as for any joke that just cites some particular group as the butt of lame humour - and simply for a laugh. :oops:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A Brit comic made a joke about Romany victims of the nazi holocaust for a laugh, more or less saying that since they are unpopular it should be alright. There's no need for me to promote this slime bag's name, nor the actual Joke.

So what do you think about trashy jokes that make fun of people's tragedies.......any people?

As I mentioned in another thread on this topic, it largely depends on the context and how a joke is delivered.

Of course, the right to free speech guarantees that someone has the right to say things like this, and a certain amount of leeway might be given to comedians, satirists, and writers of fiction. But if a comedian tells a bad joke and gets booed or heckled, that's just the breaks of the game.

On the other hand, the reaction against some comedians might be more measured. If a comedian did not commit murder, then to react as if he did would be a gross overreaction. That would also be noticed by the general public and taken into consideration.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Jimmy Carr is wellknown for low-brow, disgusting humour.

Why this is only being picked up now is anyone's guess, because over a decade ago he made a joke about paedophilia and sticking your penis into a little girl's mouth. I saw no uproar.

So this frankly looks a little hypocritical.

I don't think Jimmy Carr is funny and never have, but this is his kind of humour and always has been.

Not really. Society moves forward, progresses, evolves, etc.
Over a decade ago there were sexist TV shows, music, commercials, etc. that wouldn't fly today.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really. Society moves forward, progresses, evolves, etc.
Over a decade ago there were sexist TV shows, music, commercials, etc. that wouldn't fly today.
A decade ago was only 2012, for goodness' sake, not 1912. I'm pretty sure paedophilia was just as ****ty then as it is now. I don't remember rampart sexism and whatnot in 2012, or ever from my growing up from 1995.

I'm just making the point, though, that Jimmy Carr is this kind of comedien. This is his thing. Anyone familiar with him will not be remotely surprised by this tasteless joke, nor is it particularly offensive as far as Jimmy Carr usually goes. The joke may have had unbelievably poor timing, given the holocaust memorial stuff, but that was his point as well. Carr's whole gig is based on this ****, so absolutely no-one should be surprised.

He's not funny, he's lowbrow and he's coarse. But I don't think that means he should be cancelled. I'd rather folks just ignore him and go see other comedians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK.... But to joke about folks who were tortured, murdered and stuck in pits with their loved ones, kids and all just isn't funny.
This kind of scum pick outsiders amongst us, even the playgrounds of our schools, and that's where victimisation begins.
It might be funny for those who have no empathy but I think that this kind of muck can lead to horrible ends
Empathy is a fickle thing. People are offended by
heinous acts towards some, but not to others.
Try an experiment....
Watch TV with an eye towards mutilation, sexual
assault, murder, religious intolerance, & kidnapping.
See when it's portrayed as not all that wrong, & even
humorous. You'll spot it. It's there, even on liberal
leaning shows like Murphy Brown, Law & Order.

It's all about whose ox is gored.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
A decade ago was only 2012, for goodness' sake, not 1912. I'm pretty sure paedophilia was just as ****ty then as it is now. I don't remember rampart sexism and whatnot in 2012, or ever from my growing up from 1995.

I'm just making the point, though, that Jimmy Carr is this kind of comedien. This is his thing. Anyone familiar with him will not be remotely surprised by this tasteless joke, nor is it particularly offensive as far as Jimmy Carr usually goes. The joke may have had unbelievably poor timing, given the holocaust memorial stuff, but that was his point as well. Carr's whole gig is based on this ****, so absolutely no-one should be surprised.

He's not funny, he's lowbrow and he's coarse. But I don't think that means he should be cancelled. I'd rather folks just ignore him and go see other comedians.
You're right about pedophilia vs. my comparison. Also, I forgot how ancient I've become; I was thinking about shows and commericals from the 80's and 90's that have aged like milk.
Also, while criticism and open discussion is in order, as someone who hates censorship I think "cancel culture" tends to be a vindictive over-reaction.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I agree. Though I found the joke in question here (and the delivery) funny, Jimmy Carr mostly isn't. But that's on Jimmy Carr.
Being offending is not easy, some can pull it off others not so much. George Carlin was able to tell his audience "you are all idiots" and get showered in applause.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. Though I found the joke in question here (and the delivery) funny, Jimmy Carr mostly isn't. But that's on Jimmy Carr.
Being offending is not easy, some can pull it off others not so much. George Carlin was able to tell his audience "you are all idiots" and get showered in applause.

I remember this routine where Carlin recited a whole list of racial epithets to the sound of applause, even to the point of referring to Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy as "n words" to the cheers of the audience. That probably wouldn't fly today.

But he explained that there's nothing wrong with the words, in and of themselves. It's the context that makes all the difference.