• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About comics who use victims of torture and murder for laughs.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
A Brit comic made a joke about Romany victims of the nazi holocaust for a laugh, more or less saying that since they are unpopular it should be alright. There's no need for me to promote this slime bag's name, nor the actual Joke.

So what do you think about trashy jokes that make fun of people's tragedies.......any people?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A Brit comic made a joke about Romany victims of the nazi holocaust for a laugh, more or less saying that since they are unpopular it should be alright. There's no need for me to promote this slime bag's name, nor the actual Joke.

So what do you think about trashy jokes that make fun of people's tragedies.......any people?

Its not funny and he has left the ranks of comedian doing his profession no good on the way

Heyo

Veteran Member

I like dark humour or "gallows humour". Sometimes it is the only thing to keep your sanity in a crazy world.
That having said, there is a fine line that can't be easily detected between dark humour and the intention to deprecate. And there is a wide range in where different people draw that line.
For me it is where a joke stops being funny. There are too many people who have too little humour and too many sensibilities.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I think they're harmless until you start using them to mock actual people to their face, unless those people see the humor in it.

I'm also a fan of Marilyn Manson's art, so...

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I laugh at Titanic jokes... some might find it offensive.
But I doubt anyone from that era is still with us.
Is that a viable metric? Or is the sheer evil of certain events a factor?
I think yes, some events are just too... evil... for lack of a better word.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It was discussed on here in another thread a couple of days with an excellent video about the incident. The joke is a comment on the fact that the Gypsy victims of the holocaust have been almost ignored and forgotten in history. It seems society has evolved to be offended by everything without giving it a moments thought.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I like dark humour or "gallows humour". Sometimes it is the only thing to keep your sanity in a crazy world.
That having said, there is a fine line that can't be easily detected between dark humour and the intention to deprecate. And there is a wide range in where different people draw that line.
For me it is where a joke stops being funny. There are too many people who have too little humour and too many sensibilities.
OK.... But to joke about folks who were tortured, murdered and stuck in pits with their loved ones, kids and all just isn't funny.
This kind of scum pick outsiders amongst us, even the playgrounds of our schools, and that's where victimisation begins.
It might be funny for those who have no empathy but I think that this kind of muck can lead to horrible ends

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Some other thoughts.... :)

- Comedy, Cancel, Carr

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It was discussed on here in another thread a couple of days with an excellent video about the incident. The joke is a comment on the fact that the Gypsy victims of the holocaust have been almost ignored and forgotten in history. It seems society has evolved to be offended by everything without giving it a moments thought.
Yes, an excellent point in an excellent thread. :p

Although his jokes about vegetarians are offensive to me and hence, by definition, not funny.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think they're harmless until you start using them to mock actual people to their face, unless those people see the humor in it.

I'd like to mock Boris Johnson to his face and I'd be pretty confident he wouldn't see the humour in it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I have not seen Manson's art....will go looking later on. :)

Jokes about holocaust victims, or any victims of hate and violence are just dirt, I think.
Imagine a schoolgirl getting raped and beaten up by a gang of thugs, and the very next day some 3rd rate comic is making jokes about it. Romany kids were being murdered and slung in pits in the holocaust....... the example and the reality above would both be disgusting to joke about.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I laugh at Titanic jokes... some might find it offensive.
But I doubt anyone from that era is still with us.
Is that a viable metric? Or is the sheer evil of certain events a factor?
I think yes, some events are just too... evil... for lack of a better word.
Different, imo. We don't hate any victims of the Titanic disaster which happened through error and mistake. But if the Titanic had been attacked and sunk it would be different. I've never heard a joke about the 3000 lives lost when Hood was sunk by Bismark, for example.
Oh dear.......... now just wait for them....! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The Joke pointed out that Romanies are bad ........ no seeking any empathy there, I'm afraid.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Some other thoughts.... :)

- Comedy, Cancel, Carr
Yeah..... But no...... :)

I don't need a comedian to tell me how to accept a sh*t joke. :D

It's like this, (how I see it)..... please let me show you.... I'm not picking on you, I just want the members all to think about this:-

For those (here) who think that such jokes are OK, I want you to imagine that you got attacked today, by a ruthless gang of thugs, who raped and then beat the hell out of you. But you survived and in hospital the next day you heard a joke by a comic on local radio....about you, basically making a laugh out of 'You ain't a very popular person, but at least you got some attention for half an hour'.......... Would that be OK?

I mean, you lived.....and you and your loved ones didn't get tortured, murdered and chucked in some pit..... so would that be OK?