• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About 700,000 people have left Russia in two weeks of mobilisation

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
About 700,000 people have left Russia in two weeks of mobilisation | Ukrainska Pravda

In less than two weeks after the partial mobilisation was announced, about 700,000 people left Russia.

Source: Forbes, citing multiple sources

Details: According to one source, almost 1 million people have left Russia since the beginning of the mobilisation. The second source, in the administration of the President of the Russian Federation, reports that between 600,000 and 700,000 Russians have left the country. The magazine’s source emphasised that it is not yet clear what percentage of people left the country as tourists.

According to Forbes, the media previously cited the figure of 194,000 Russians who left for Georgia, Kazakhstan and Finland in the week after the announcement of mobilisation. At the beginning of September, even before the announcement of partial mobilisation, the Federal State Statistics Service (Russia) stated that 419,000 people had left the Russian Federation in the first half of 2022 – twice as many as in the same period the previous year. There was a net migration outflow (- 96,000) in the first six months of 2022, as compared to a net inflow of 114,000 during the same period in 2021.

Background:

• Marat Akhmetzhanov, the Minister of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan, reported on 4 October that since 21 September, 200,000 Russians have entered his country, and 147,000 Russians have left it during this period.
  • The Ministry of Internal Affairs of Georgia reported that 53,000 Russians came to the country in a week, and 10,000 people cross the border every day, which is 40-45% more than before 21 September. At the end of September, the flow of Russians on the border with Georgia decreased.
  • In one week, 66,000 Russians entered the EU, which is 30% more than a week earlier, according to the EU border agency Frontex.

I guess some people are trying to get out while the gettin' is good. Not sure if this means more Russians are flying the coop. Some people vote with their feet.

F1fan

Veteran Member
None of the problems this war is causing, including the war, is going to be resolved until putin dies or is removed and arrested.

Has anyone noticed how short he is? I know he was short but I didn't realize how short until last week and I saw him with some of his inner circle at the ceremony for the illegal annexation. I have to wonder if he has a sort of Napoleon comlpex.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
None of the problems this war is causing, including the war, is going to be resolved until putin dies or is removed and arrested.

Has anyone noticed how short he is? I know he was short but I didn't realize how short until last week and I saw him with some of his inner circle at the ceremony for the illegal annexation. I have to wonder if he has a sort of Napoleon comlpex.
Little Man Syndrome - What Is, Symptoms, Images, Treatment

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm surprised they let them leave.
They are leaving as penalties for shirking military duties are made more harsh. If Putin has his way many will probably never be allowed back home while he (and presumably his chosen predecessor) lives.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They are leaving as penalties for shirking military duties are made more harsh. If Putin has his way many will probably never be allowed back home while he (and presumably his chosen predecessor successor) lives.
I had to do it.

We Never Know

No Slack
I would if they came after me.
Nothing useful about suicide,
especially for a bad cause.
Biden & Trump wisely avoided
(or evaded) Viet Nam.

Change of subject for a minute....

Today is "National Coffee with a Cop Day". Its observed on the first Wednesday in October.....

Did you have coffee with a cop today? :p

Flankerl

The men who left are not against the war or pro Ukraine.
They simply don't want to die in Ukraine and celebrated the invasion till recently.
Quite disgusting.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
They simply don't want to die in Ukraine and celebrated the invasion till recently.
Quite disgusting.
Possibly.

It's also possible that they are genuine objectors to the war fleeing being drafted into a war they disagree with.
It's also possible that they are just indoctrinated by Russia's extensive state apparatus until they realized that the state was more than happy to offer them up in sacrifice.
It's also possible that they are supporters of Russia who nevertheless do not wish to be drafted into the army for one or many of any number of personal reasons.
It's also possible that they are largely indifferent to or unaware of the war and simply don't want to kill or die thousands of miles from home after being removed from their loved ones.

At the end of the day, whether or not these people are Russian nationalists only fleeing now despite supporting the war previously, or if they are anti-war activists who always opposed the war and are now fleeing for their lives, they are still refugees in need of assistance and aid, fleeing a regime that would gladly have them fight and die for their imperialist ambitions, and we should treat them as such.

Flankerl

It's also possible that they are genuine objectors to the war fleeing being drafted into a war they disagree with.

Quite unlikely.
The war was immensely popular in Russia after over 20 years of imperialistic propaganda.

At the end of the day, whether or not these people are Russian nationalists only fleeing now despite supporting the war previously, or if they are anti-war activists who always opposed the war and are now fleeing for their lives, they are still refugees in need of assistance and aid, fleeing a regime that would gladly have them fight and die for their imperialist ambitions, and we should treat them as such.

No we should treat them differently.
There have been anti-Ukrainian events by Russian "refugees" and they should be closely monitored if they are being housed near Ukrainian refugees.

They are from an enemy state.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Quite disgusting.

Is there a source for this claim? It seems to me an overgeneralization that we couldn't possibly conclude about all Russian men fleeing the war, especially considering that voicing opposition to the war while living inside Russia could be extremely risky to do.

They are from an enemy state

The official positions of states run by dictatorial, abusive regimes don't necessarily reflect the views of individuals from said states.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Quite unlikely.
The war was immensely popular in Russia after over 20 years of imperialistic propaganda.
This is probably sadly true. But I don't think this means Russians should be denied the right to asylum and the protections of international law. I would believe the same for any individuals who flee a state to avoid being drafted into a war, even if the war was justified. History may not look kindly on them, but if we ever hope to break through nationalistic programming we need to make sure that Russian people know that the rest of the world is not as inhospitable to them as their leaders would have them believe.

No we should treat them differently.
There have been anti-Ukrainian events by Russian "refugees" and they should be closely monitored if they are being housed near Ukrainian refugees.

They are from an enemy state.
But they are not necessarily enemy statists, nor do they necessarily present a threat to the international community. They are not there to spread propaganda, they are there to flee being ground up as mulch for an unnecessary war. While I understand your fears, I think we ought not to let them drag us into treating Russian refugees with the mistrust and contempt that they believe so much of the rest of the world has for them.

JIMMY12345