• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion=sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
While I've never even considered having an abortion (yeah, part of the reason is that I'm not sexually active, nor do I particularly wish to be), I can assure you that James' way of explaining things would be far more likely to actually prevent me hypothetically having an abortion than carrying such a lovely sign.

Just a thought to those who are actually wanting to prevent abortions, rather than 'proving' to anyone that they are against it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
While I've never even considered having an abortion (yeah, part of the reason is that I'm not sexually active, nor do I particularly wish to be), I can assure you that James' way of explaining things would be far more likely to actually prevent me hypothetically having an abortion than carrying such a lovely sign.

Just a thought to those who are actually wanting to prevent abortions, rather than 'proving' to anyone that they are against it.
James can explain this sugar-coated Christianity all he wants. That's way too easy to do. Just say GOD IS LOVE and that's it. (Deut could do that.) But the real questions I ask, like Tell me what Scripture SHOULD say --- or Which version of the Bible is the true one --- or the question I challenged James to answer, just seems to cause lockjaw for some reason. Probably because there's no sugar in them. In the meantime, "I'm" supposed to cough up extra-Biblical scientific evidence and go searching through Scripture for signatures and the like. If I didn't know the future, I would find this amusing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AV1611 said:
James can explain this sugar-coated Christianity all he wants. That's way too easy to do. Just say GOD IS LOVE and that's it. (Deut could do that.) But the real questions I ask, like Tell me what Scripture SHOULD say --- or Which version of the Bible is the true one --- or the question I challenged James to answer, just seems to cause lockjaw for some reason. Probably because there's no sugar in them. In the meantime, "I'm" supposed to cough up extra-Biblical scientific evidence and go searching through Scripture for signatures and the like. If I didn't know the future, I would find this amusing.
Well, if you know the future, I am sure you understand yours is the 'wrong' stance to take.

1 Corinthians 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Revalations 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Revalations 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

Fascist Christ

AV1611 said:
Yup ... 6 million Jews vs 30 million Americans ... just playing numbers.
Comparing abortion to the Holocaust? How can you even compare? The Holocaust victims actually had functioning brains!

And 6 million Jews? Is that all you care about? What about the millions of others? The Atheists, Communists, homosexuals, and others that suffered the same fate. Are their lives worth any less than a Jew's? Or even less than a brainless zygote?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
Comparing abortion to the Holocaust? How can you even compare? The Holocaust victims actually had functioning brains!

And 6 million Jews? Is that all you care about? What about the millions of others? The Atheists, Communists, homosexuals, and others that suffered the same fate. Are their lives worth any less than a Jew's? Or even less than a brainless zygote?
Every single life is worth everything. (quote Michel - just now-:p )

joeboonda

I know the answer to your question of where is the most dangerous place! Its in a mother's womb! I am the 5th (and a surprise) of my parents children, boy I am glad my Mom didn't believe in it...breathes sigh of relief...

I do believe it is necessary in certain situations, like if it may cause the death of the mother, or perhaps if it was due to a rape, things like that. But just as a means of birth control, sorry, I must say no. I believe it to be murder and I believe that we will face God's judgement for this abortion 'holocaust' some time soon.

Ya know, to me, as a christian, I can see where God puts these commandments in place, not so that we can't have any fun, but to protect us from the consequenses of our actions. If people followed God's way, and had sex only in marriage, they would be protected from many of the tradegies we see every day. But I guess I am just old-fashioned, but that's fine with me.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
joeboonda said:
I know the answer to your question of where is the most dangerous place! Its in a mother's womb! I am the 5th (and a surprise) of my parents children, boy I am glad my Mom didn't believe in it...breathes sigh of relief...

I do believe it is necessary in certain situations, like if it may cause the death of the mother, or perhaps if it was due to a rape, things like that. But just as a means of birth control, sorry, I must say no. I believe it to be murder and I believe that we will face God's judgement for this abortion 'holocaust' some time soon.

Ya know, to me, as a christian, I can see where God puts these commandments in place, not so that we can't have any fun, but to protect us from the consequenses of our actions. If people followed God's way, and had sex only in marriage, they would be protected from many of the tradegies we see every day. But I guess I am just old-fashioned, but that's fine with me.
I came into this thread late; Quote"I do believe it is necessary in certain situations, like if it may cause the death of the mother, or perhaps if it was due to a rape, things like that" - has that been your stance all along ? (or have you changed the goal posts?)

P.S I'm glad you were a surprise *sings* You must have been a beautiful baby...............

Fascist Christ

joeboonda said:
I do believe it is necessary in certain situations [...] I believe it to be murder [...]
I do not understand justifying murder in any case other than self defense. If you believe it to be murder, how can you make exceptions for something like rape? I can understand when the mother's life is in danger, as that is self-defense. But if the rape already happened, how does murder change anything? Would you support the murder of the rapist?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
AV1611 said:
If you know the future, you'll know my response to this, which is; when did I ask you to find extra-Biblical evidence or go searching for signatures of any kind?! I find this particular 'version' of Christianity a lot more 'sugar-coated' than the other type. It would be so nice to think "I'm right, everyone else is wrong" than to try to understand the beauty of the human spirit in all of its forms.

I spit out this... sugar-coated version. It makes me ill.

Also, please don't put words into the mouths of people who aren't currently conversing with you.

shaft

The problem with abortion is that you cannot say that a person exists until it is capable of supporting its own life. Otherwise it is just a growth with an incomplete neural system. To suggest that a foetus is a person because it can react to light and pressure (as well as sound) gives all vermin human rights aswell.
There is nothing special about us because of our genotype. If you beleive that you are special then you are no better than the rest of them. If you believe that you are not, then you are special for that fact alone.

joeboonda

To answer Michel and Fascist Christ, Michel that has always been my stance, I believe in it with just a few exceptions, and Fascist, in the case of a rape or incest, although I respect the right of the unborn on that one, and would hope the mother would have it, I think she should have the option. But basically, I think abortion is wrong with very very few exceptions. I think women are better qualified to answer this than me. (bows out gracefully)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Pah said:
It is quite my opinion, that your referenced post is a high handed attempt to bury an issue. The fact of the matter is that what is taught in the Catechism is to be taken as, as you said, "the Church's position". You quoted it without disclaimer in this thread. Now you want to fall back on a disclaimer? Would you like to retract your previous post, #7. You can't have it two ways.
Why not? Because it gives you no ammo to use on us?
We've explained what is and what isn't. What can I say, but that you don't want to follow our definition. It's too narrow for you. Oh well.

~Victor

Scott1

Victor said:
Why not? Because it gives you no ammo to use on us?
We've explained what is and what isn't. What can I say, but that you don't want to follow our definition. It's too narrow for you. Oh well.

~Victor
Hmmm... I thought this thread was about abortion and sin... now it is about RCC doctrinal development?

Don't worry... some people read and learned from your Catechism quote... even if someone.... say, for instance- a member of the staff... decided to attack your faith instead of keeping the thread on topic, don't worry.... like I said, at least you provided authentic RCC teaching... sometimes it shows the fear and weakness of others when they attack the Church instead of a Church teaching.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
shaft said:
The problem with abortion is that you cannot say that a person exists until it is capable of supporting its own life. Otherwise it is just a growth with an incomplete neural system. To suggest that a foetus is a person because it can react to light and pressure (as well as sound) gives all vermin human rights aswell.
There is nothing special about us because of our genotype. If you beleive that you are special then you are no better than the rest of them. If you believe that you are not, then you are special for that fact alone.
Hi Shaft;

I noticed that this is your first post on the forum, and wanted to welcome you.

Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself to the forum members by posting on:-
Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?

As concerns your answer in this thread, I am not sure that I agree with you

I do think "If you believe that you are special then you are no better than the rest of them. If you believe that you are not, then you are special for that fact alone"
is perfectly true though.

See you around, and have fun.;)

Todd

Rajun Cajun
This Thread is temporarily being closed due to multiple complaints by multiple views on this topic. We will re-open this in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.