1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion only for rape, insest, and life of the mother.

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by averageJOE, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    WHAT!? What part of "When I was 13, my stepfather beat me until I miscarried his child" didn't you get?

You need to apologize.

2. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,459
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    I agree. Yes, the anti-choicers have set the hurdle at the wrong height (my point), but they haven't even cleared their own hurdle.

And I think you're right: there are many so-called pro-life people who don't treat the fetus as a person in other ways. It was a real eye-opener for me to see how my Catholic in-laws reacted to the news of actual miscarriages. Not one of them reacted the way somebody would react to the death of a child.

3. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,200
    Religion:
    Non-Denominational Christian
    I agree with you.

4. Storm

Storm ThrUU the Looking Glass

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    UU/ panentheist/ neopagan/ process theology
    Betcha $50 it's the part he didn't bother to read.

5. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    Amazing, and demonstrates exactly how much thought anti-choice men typically put into the whole subject. "Meh - I'll just read half a sentence, ignore the rest, reflect thoughtfully on none of it, then caricature the pro-choice opinion holder as a callous murderer."

6. Me Myself

Me Myself Back to my username

Ratings:
    +963
    I apologize.

7. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    I'd rather you answered the question of how long I should have been imprisoned.

8. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    Imprisoned? In Ecuador it is 1-4 years for killing the baby in your womb and 2-4 years to any doctor that helped.

Then again, I´d imprison the stepfather for such killing.

9. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Murder carries a maximum sentence of four years? That's awfully mild, don't you think?

Well, I freely admitted that, by your standards I was an accessory to murder. After all, I could have fought back, and didn't because I didn't want my rapist's insensate zygote to live, either. So, how long should I have gone to prison for being raped and beaten?

10. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    For purposefully putting your child at risk? (this is what you are saying you did? )

The rape has nothing to do with it.

11. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    What a backwards country Ecuador is if it forces girls to bear children conceived in incestuous rape when there are safe, effective alternatives.

Did you know that a 13 year old child's frame is typically too small to handle pregnancy and child birth without suffering extreme pain, permanent physical damage and a much higher risk of complications, including death?

True story.

The Impact of Early Pregnancy and Childbearing on Adolescent Mothers and Their Children

Hm - if pregnancy kills young girls, wouldn't the pro-life position be to provide emergency contraception or abortion? But you're not pro-life, are you. You're anti-choice. "Young girls are dying every day, but who cares? The important thing is that they don't get to decide for themselves whether or not to have my baby."

12. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    For deliberately allowing the death of my rapist's insensate zygote.

The rape has everything to do with it.

13. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    I don´t like my country, but at least it got right the issues about the value of human life in this matter. It is something.

Well, for starters, abortion is legally allowed when it risks the life of the mother.

So the life of the mother is valued above the life of the unborn, but not her comfort valued above the life of the unborn.

I wouldn´t put a 13 year old pregnancy in the same bowl of an adult pregnancy if that was the case. That being said, it is important to remember it is the rapist that did this. Killing the unborn is merely adding another innocent victim.

Depending on the risk of death, the abortion does become a legal option.

I agree. This is rarely the case though. Most cases of abortion the mother´s life is not in risk.

14. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    Given the circumstances and the psychological shock, I´d say whatever the standard procedure for kids being "accomplices" to murder. You were not an adult yet.

In your head, I am sure. Any person making infractions to law has it´s rationale on how or why the laws should be breakable i that instance. But then again, you just don´t value human life until later on and didn´t consider it unlawful as it wasn´t in your country. It was too far away from you considerations given all the elements around you on such situation.

15. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Yeah, that's the problem here: I just don't value human life.

You know, at least Mister Emu had the social skills to realize he couldn't make this argument without sounding like a sociopath.

16. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    You don´t value the human until later on. If you cut the phrase then you robb important part of it´s meaning.

I don´t have any reason to believe you don´t value, say my life or a stranger´s life.

For what I hear though, and correct me if I am wrong, you don´t have much value for human life until birth?

17. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    You're wrong.

18. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    Great, I am listening.

19. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    You need elaboration? Fine. I value the sanity and futures of actual people over the "rights" of insensate zygotes and happen to think survivors of rape regardless of age have been victimized enough already, thank you very much.

I hold this opinion because, as an actual person with the legal misfortune to have been born female, I understand that the presence of my uterus does not negate my personhood.

20. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +963
    did the question confuse you? I asked about the value you give to the unborn and you talk to me about the value you give to those born.

You seem to reinforce my assumption that you do not value human life until it is born.