• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion only for rape, insest, and life of the mother.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If it was irrelevant, you shouldn't have tried to use it to bolster your credibility.

At contrair, the comment was made to discredit people.
I was not bolstering anything but reestablishing.

1) The dictionary completely contradicted you in that instance, which is probably why you never got around to citing it.
2) Either it's not the same word in Spanish, or you're wrong in Spanish, too. I don't know which, but I wouldn't presume to correct a native speaker, especially when all it takes is a single dictionary entry to prove me wrong.

compare Pronunciation: /kəmˈpɛː/
Translate compare into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of compare
verb
[with object]
1estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between:

Real Academia de la Lengua Española (most credible source for spanish language)

comparar.
(Del lat. comparāre).
1. tr. Fijar la atención en dos o más objetos para descubrir sus relaciones o estimar sus diferencias o semejanza.

Translation- To fix attention on two or more objects to discover their relationships or estimate their differences or similarities.

:rolleyes:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
At contrair, the comment was made to discredit people.
I was not bolstering anything but reestablishing.
Who precisely were you attempting to discredit, and how did you expect your religious affiliation or lack thereof to do that?

compare Pronunciation: /kəmˈpɛː/
Translate compare into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of compare
verb
[with object]
1estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between:

Real Academia de la Lengua Española (most credible source for spanish language)

comparar.
(Del lat. comparāre).
1. tr. Fijar la atención en dos o más objetos para descubrir sus relaciones o estimar sus diferencias o semejanza.

Translation- To fix attention on two or more objects to discover their relationships or estimate their differences and similarities.

:rolleyes:
Uh huh. And you still don't understand the difference between "compare" and "comparable." Which would be excusable due to the language barrier, had it not been explained to you at length by three or four different people. So, let me be more direct: stop trying to one up native speakers in English. It just makes you look like a fool.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Who precisely were you attempting to discredit, and how did you expect your religious affiliation or lack thereof to do that?

Me? 0_0

Uh huh. And you still don't understand the difference between "compare" and "comparable." Which would be excusable due to the language barrier, had it not been explained to you at length by three or four different people. So, let me be more direct: stop trying to one up native speakers in English. It just makes you look like a fool.

The difference as you yourself put on that discussion, is that "comparable" means things that can be compared. We already saw the meaning of compare.

About native speaking, people talking Spanish make mistakes about their native languages, I have found English speakers to be the same. It happens on all the languages really, no surprise there.

Me Myself

Back to my username
In any case, the blatant misdirection of the thread got me bored already. I shall come back another time I guess.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes you.

The difference as you yourself put on that discussion, is that "comparable" means things that can be compared. We already saw the meaning of compare.
Except that that's not actually what comparable means, as was explained to you at length by multiple people. I already said that. Why don't you end the argument by quoting the definition of comparable? I asked you to do that once before, but for some reason you never did. Do I need to spoon feed you yet again?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yes you.

Except that that's not actually what comparable means, as was explained to you at length by multiple people. I already said that. Why don't you end the argument by quoting the definition of comparable? I asked you to do that once before, but for some reason you never did. Do I need to spoon feed you yet again?

comparable Pronunciation: /ˈkɒmp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
Translate comparable into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of comparable
adjective
able to be likened to another; similar:
the situation in Holland is comparable to that in England
of equivalent quality; worthy of comparison:
nobody is comparable with this athlete

I did explain you the above, yet you didn´t want to click yourself, so for your comfort I will also add:

Definition of comparison
noun
1a consideration or estimate of the similarities or dissimilarities between two things or people:
they drew a comparison between Gandhi’s teaching and that of other teachers
[mass noun]:
the two books invite comparison with one another
an analogy:
perhaps the best comparison is that of seasickness
[mass noun] the quality of being similar or equivalent:
when it comes to achievements this season, there’s no comparison between Linfield and Bangor
2 [mass noun] Grammar the formation of the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives and adverb

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
comparable Pronunciation: /ˈkɒmp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
Translate comparable into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of comparable
adjective
able to be likened to another; similar:
the situation in Holland is comparable to that in England
of equivalent quality; worthy of comparison:
nobody is comparable with this athlete

I did explain you the above, yet you didn´t want to click yourself, so for your comfort I will also add:
No, you didn't. That's more or less the definition I provided. Did you read it? It says "similar" and "of equivalent quality," and yes "worthy of comparison." The fact that to maintain your argument, you must ignore 2 of the 3 explanations as well as two thirds of the remaining one does not speak well of your integrity.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It can be streamed. I couldn't find a version on youtube that wasn't totally butchered.
Meh. Better for you to just quote or summarize, I think. I'm not comfortable with allowing unknown files access to my computer, and I don't think that's unreasonable.