• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion isn't that important

Cooky

Veteran Member
Thoughts?

Note: The title was the original title of the video and he got quite a bit of backlash for it.

I remember driving past planned Parenthood just last Friday on Tustin Street in Orange, and saw people outside praying, and holding signs, sacrificing their own time peacefully... Both young and old... I thought that was good, because they weren't doing it through politics, but directly.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Very enlightening video.
I live in a country where the separation of Church and State is carved into the Constitution and in our hearts. So, it is like my brain was divided in two.
My loyalty to the secular State obliges me to defend the law about abortion (as long as ethical limits are respected).

But my Christian heart tells me it is a wrong thing to do, also considering that so many parents cannot have children and will adopt them, if the mother cannot or will not take care of them.

Btw...the Catholic Church is supposed to take care of this issue seriously, since it is not involved with politics. And with all the money and hospitals it owns, it can help these mothers take the right decision.

PS. It is always a pleasure to listen to Father Casey...I mean...most of his YT followers are women...lol:oops::p guess why

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't watch videos. What points does he make?

Well...he basically says that as citizens of a secular state (like the US where he is) Catholics are supposed to be against abortion, but not at cost of losing the point of being a Christian who respects the values and the laws of a country.
That is, not by fighting against the system actively as other Protestant Churches do.
Since being a Christian is about being for others a model to follow. Which suffices.
Well I guess that's what he means, more or less.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well...he basically says that as citizens of a secular state (like the US where he is) Catholics are supposed to be against abortion, but not at cost of losing the point of being a Christian who respects the values and the laws of a country.
That is, not by fighting against the system actively as other Protestant Churches do.
Since being a Christian is about being for others a model to follow. Which suffices.
Well I guess that's what he means, more or less.
Thanks for this. It's good to hear at least one voice of moderation from the USA on this subject.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I remember driving past planned Parenthood just last Friday on Tustin Street in Orange, and saw people outside praying, and holding signs, sacrificing their own time peacefully... Both young and old... I thought that was good, because they weren't doing it through politics, but directly.

It's been for some time the usual antics of secular fundamentalists to say "keep religion out of our government". I suspect Fr. Casey, Pope Francis, and certainly the magisterium do not see it the same way as those who push for an all-encompassing silencing of conscience (or so it seems). We can be charitable and kind but will always vote our conscience. Our faith informs so much of what we do (even those things we find in common with non-Catholics); that ultimately, the trajectory will be constant clashing. Legislation and law will always have a moral component to them; it's inescapable. Always at the whim of progressive thought that will use the arm of law to dictate what they deem to be too religious. We will be tolerated, in so far as we stay in our little corner......meek and humble. In the name of tolerance of course. We don't even agree on what the word "right" means. What freedom means. Where they come from, etc. We are miles apart.

This idea that some of these great secular minds of the past would look upon what the world is today with glee, is bunk IMO. They weren't catholic or even protestant, we know they were Deist with a protestant flavor (in general). Those were the secular men of the day and hundreds of years from now, they will look different and be repulsed by the secular men of the present.

So, certainly, I agree with Fr. Casey that we shouldn't make politics our god, but nowhere does he say we shouldn't participate and do what we can within it. Which we should do in charity.

Quiddity

No. They waste far too much time. Moreover it is against forum rules to post videos with no explanation.

You'd get much more of a discussion if you came in here without your gun drawn. Your views of the US and religion makes you glow in the dark. Unless of course, you can't help yourself?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Let me just say two things:

1.Here in the States, Roe v Wade is part of the "law of the land", and the vast majority of Americans don't want it undone, including most Catholics. And...

2.There are many other pro-life issues, thus it bothers me that with all so many Christians abortion is used as a sole litmus test on a person's "Christianity".

Quiddity

Let me just say two things:

1.Here in the States, Roe v Wade is part of the "law of the land", and the vast majority of Americans don't want it undone, including most Catholics. And...

2.There are many other pro-life issues, thus it bothers me that with all so many Christians abortion is used as a sole litmus test on a person's "Christianity".

It shouldn't. But you certainly can't get that one wrong.