• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion: Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

What is your stance on abortion?

• Total voters

KateTacular

Fluffy said:
Abortions are harmful to the health of the woman undergoing them. Now its not an extreme health risk but safer alternatives seem more sensible. They are also more expensive. Surely it is better to just buy a condom than abort every foetus you get from unprotected sex?
I should have clarified. I was not referring to the health of the woman in those comments, just the fact that many fetuses would be aborted. I also was not in any way condoning having repeated abortions instead of birth control, condoms, etc. Obviously those are better and easier choices for the womans body.

drggowns

I think the real question is. Is it Okay to kill a child. When a pregnant woman is murdered they count for two. So in the same instance a person who has an abortion is killing another person (a baby) but still a person. Personally I would never have an abortion.

drggowns

gracie said:
this is true, Melody. but in the meantime, children continue to be abused, neglected, and murdered in lousey home situations all over the country. until we can find a way to seriously help these kids and give them some promise of quality of life and basic protection, we should not bar a woman who is not capable of caring for that child adequately from getting an abortion.
Woman are abused frequently by their husbands etc. So should their fathers just kill them the day before their wedding so they can avoid their daughters from being abused? No that is not logical. People who have abortions are selfish. There are plenty of woman in healthy marriages who can not have kids. If they can not provide for them they should do the less selfish thing and find a suitable place for them.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
KateTacular said:
Fluffy said:
Abortions are harmful to the health of the woman undergoing them. Now its not an extreme health risk but safer alternatives seem more sensible. They are also more expensive. Surely it is better to just buy a condom than abort every foetus you get from unprotected sex?
I should have clarified. I was not referring to the health of the woman in those comments, just the fact that many fetuses would be aborted. I also was not in any way condoning having repeated abortions instead of birth control, condoms, etc. Obviously those are better and easier choices for the womans body.
to which you can also add that condoms are also effective as anti STD's devices! - which is probably just as important as to stop the fertilization of an egg.

Studies have also shown that the greater the number of sexual partners a woman has, the greater the rik of servical cancer later on in life.:)

Fluffy

A fool
People who have abortions are selfish. There are plenty of woman in healthy marriages who can not have kids. If they can not provide for them they should do the less selfish thing and find a suitable place for them.
If we accept for the moment that this is true (and I can possibly see that), is it reasonable to expect mothers to be unselfish in this particular instance?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Click on Fluffy, then from the pull down menu click on send a private message to Fluffy.

Fluffy

A fool
*Off topic*
We can talk over Private messaging if you like or you can add me to your MSN contacts list (if you have MSN). My address is on my profile page. Alternatively just post your questions in the Wicca forum and I'll answer them as will other people :).
*Off topic*

When I first joined this forum I used to consider myself as very liberal but hugely conservative in some areas. One of those areas was abortion and I voted "Abortions should be 100% illegal. Period." However, since then my views on many issues have changed radically.

I'll give you an example of this so you can see why it is relevant. I am 100% against drug usage including alcohol and other legally available drugs. Because of this my first reaction was to think that it would be best to make all drugs illegal thereby getting rid of what I saw as wrong. Then I realised that there are many drug related problems that are created by making drug usage illegal and I am not positive that the stricter the laws get, the more these problems will increase. Therefore my view has changed to one of educating people of the dangers of drugs whilst supporting the legalisation of all drugs since I feel the actual dangers which this route offers will outweigh the dangers of going down the other road.

Now I am beginning to see abortion in the same light. I still think abortion is immoral in all cases but at the same time I wouldn't support any kind of legislation against it until the vast majority of society also considered it immoral.

drggowns

Fluffy said:
If we accept for the moment that this is true (and I can possibly see that), is it reasonable to expect mothers to be unselfish in this particular instance?
As a mother of a beautiful little boy and a member of a moms group I can tell you that if a train was coming and only one of us could be saved. We would save our child. I am not saying that people who have abortions should be dam-d to hell but I personally think it is wrong. The word "Personal" is a stand out point.

Fluffy

A fool
As a mother of a beautiful little boy and a member of a moms group I can tell you that if a train was coming and only one of us could be saved. We would save our child. I am not saying that people who have abortions should be dam-d to hell but I personally think it is wrong. The word "Personal" is a stand out point.
I agree with you and although I do not have children of my own I hope I would do the same. Even so, there is a difference (simply because of the social connotations attached) between your own son and a one week old foetus. I think these social views need to be changed first before any real good will come from anti-abortion laws.

I'm Pro-Choice, because that's what it is, a choice. Just because the option to abort is there does not mean that every woman has to choose it. Likewise just becasue a few feel that abortion is wrong should not make it a crime.

Lycan

Preternatural
When a pregnant woman is murdered they count for two.
That's because someone else "chose" to take the baby's life so it's "oh the poor mother and helpless baby", with abortion it's the mother's "choice" to take the baby's life and then it's "the parasitic fetus has been removed". In regards to choice, different personal agendas, same outcome.

niamhwitch

Celtic Faery Wiccan )O(
I voted the one that said, "Abortions should be allowed, but it should not be used as birth control."

I dont just believe that it is solely the womans choice. I definately believe that the father should have a say in it as well, however... when there is a disagreement, in the end the womans decision has more weight. I just hope both parties agree.
I dont believe whatsoever that abortion should be used as birth control. Although in the end, I believe it is a choice. I dont agree with it (when used as BC), but I definately dont agree with it being illegal.

opensoul7

This is a tough topic with many facets to it. I believe that it is a womans body and mostly her decision.I also believe that is her spirirtual decision and is between her and God. I do not think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control. I do not think that it should be o.k to have a abortion if the father wants the child and is fit to properly care for the child. I think also there should be a limit to the time frame that a abortion can be done (i.e no third trimester).I think education about abortion is a neccesity . Women wanting a abortion should have to go through some form of education about abortion and what is medically happening when the have it done.Also in that education should be all alternatives to abortion (i.e adoption etc,etc). I also believe that the subject should be delt with patience and calmness. For a woman to go through with a abortion is a diffucult decision that SHE will live with always.I believe that religions should not attack women wanting abortions , but offer help and alternatives .Religions should offer education for free as well . Condemnation and judgement are lowbrow and easy. Love is always the best help. Let's not forget also that sexual assault is a serious problem in America and more so world wide. http://www.rainn.org/ I stress again the importance of education and alternatives both religious and secular.

WeAreAllOne

Having dealt with this issue as close to first hand as a male can get. I guess I may offer a different perspective. (I didn’t read every post so please forgive me if someone already shared something like this)

My Girlfriend and I are sexually active we do use birth-control although I will admit for the sake of honesty that there have been a few times in the year and a half we have been together so far that it hasn’t been used. About a year ago or so she got pregnant and she had an abortion. It seems to me a lot of the pro-life people really think this is a decision people make over a cup of tea or something. Being young, we weren’t sure if we could keep it. We tried to figure out a way but we just didn’t have the funds, and didn’t think we could do a good job as parents at the time. And this was the option we chose. It was sad and we talked about this for a long time. I mean, at the clinic one girl left, crying she just couldn’t do it. The people that stand outside those places and protest are just unbelievable.

Abortion is such a great topic to debate as long as you haven’t had to decide to go though with it. I agree with the other people that say I’m pro-choice, not pro-abortion. Should it be used as birth control, probably not. But if the birth control fails like it did in our case (most likely considering the timing) I think it is an option and should always remain an option.

WeAreAllOne

opensoul7 said:
Women wanting a abortion should have to go through some form of education about abortion and what is medically happening when the have it done.
they do, at least around were I live (IL)

opensoul7

I agree weareallone,
It is a topic for great debate, and easy to judge if you have never had to make the choice. I have been in a similiar situation but for myself and the woman invoved chose life. And I have a two wonderfull little girls(by two different women) that I would not trade for anything,and can't imagine living without. I though do not judge anyone who has choosen otherwise. That is between them and God . I don't say that as in it is between them and God like they have made the wrong decision.Each person or couple knows what is right for them and the life involved. It is a tough decision and it should be ! and no one knows that better than someone in that position. Much Love and support to you and yours.