• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion: Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

What is your stance on abortion?

• Total voters

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I believe that the choice is made before you have sex. If your pregnant, you ARE a mother.

There is scientific evidence that life begins at conception. That is when a human being is nothing other than a human being, with DNA intact, and has every aspect of thier biological self mapped out within thier cells, and has nothing left to do but grow and develop, as we are all doing every day in one way or another.

If a woman has been raped, she is very unlikely to become pregnant from it. If she does, she needs counseling, support, and information. She needs help to do what's right for her and the baby. She does not need to be strapped to a bench to have a child ripped out of her, and be put through another traumatic experience. If I were raped there is no way I would have an abortion. I would give the child up for adoption before I ever did any such thing.

I believe abortion is immoral. It is no different morally than yanking the breathing tube out of a patient who wants to live, and has a better than 99% chance of complete recovery. It is no different morally than taking poison like methotrexate and breastfeeding your baby. Nobody asked the child what his or her choice was, she is innocent, helpless, and dependant on her mother, not a "parasite".

I believe all human life is precious and every attempt should always be made to save both mother and child no matter what the circumstance. If it comes down to a sad decision between the mother and the child, whoever has the best chance of survival should be saved. In the case of ectopic pregnancy, the woman should always be saved, since the child has no chance.

I believe abortion is painful for unborn children as young as 12 weeks old. I believe there is much evidence to prove this. I believe it is always a cruel, agonizing way to die for the baby, and an unsafe practice for the mother. I believe over 85% of women who have abortions really do want thier babies, but feel forced into it by circumstances and pressure from thier boyfriends, parents, or doctor.

I believe a man should have the right to say he wants his child and you cannot kill it. I believe women need to stop whining about how bad pregnancy is. It's nine months, then it's overwith. I personally loved being pregnant, waddling, stretchmarks, puking and all.

I believe abortion should be made illegal again, except in severe cases. The media needs to change, and society needs to change to support what women really need. They do not need abortion. They need self respect, high standards, financial equality, and protection from rapists. And any woman who would try to take a child out of her body by mutilating herself with a coathanger needs serious psychological counseling and therapy.

I am pro-life, for life.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I believe saying the ability to spread your legs and get knocked up makes someone a mother is laughable at best, and an outright lie at worst.

w00t

Johnny you are a man and have no idea what it feels like to carry a child, especially if the child is not wanted. However, all abortions should be carried out before 12 weeks if possible, and if a later termination is necessary for medical reasons when the baby is viable, then it should be delivered not aborted.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Tangnefedd said:
Johnny you are a man and have no idea what it feels like to carry a child, especially if the child is not wanted. However, all abortions should be carried out before 12 weeks if possible, and if a later termination is necessary for medical reasons when the baby is viable, then it should be delivered not aborted.
I am a woman. I will clear that one up right now. Johnny is my husband. My user name is Johnny's for life. As in, I am his and he is mine for life. Johnny is on here too when he has the time, under the name Israel.

I have every idea what it's like to be pregnant, and to give birth. I have an 8-month old daughter who's picture you will see above and to your left. I was pregnant with her for 9 months and 6 days. I was in labor with her unmedicated for 14 hours, before I was convinced I should go ahead and have an epidural because of labor complications.

Believe me, I know what it's like to carry a child. It was the experience of pregnancy and motherhood that made me pro-life to begin with.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm still of the opinion that the best way to reduce abortions is through a combination of contraception availability and education. Other countries have tried this approach and it has worked for them. Why wouldn't it work in the U.S.?

Ceridwen018

Johnny you are a man
Correction: Johnny's4life is a married woman with one lovely baby.

I believe saying the ability to spread your legs and get knocked up makes someone a mother is laughable at best, and an outright lie at worst.
But it does make them responsible. Women who are sexually active need to very careful. If it is possible for them to be able to avopid this decision in the first place, that would be wonderful.

However, all abortions should be carried out before 12 weeks if possible, and if a later termination is necessary for medical reasons when the baby is viable, then it should be delivered not aborted.
I have thought about this idea many many times before....If a woman is pregnant and she wants an abortion, I don't see why she can't have it done in the first trimester--there really is no excuse to wait to have it done after that, (assuming you have no weird medical conditions which would prevent something like that). Especially since science is allowing babies to survive outside of the womb earlier and earlier in the second trimester, I would love to see all abortions banned after the first trimester.

Lycan

Preternatural
I'm still of the opinion that the best way to reduce abortions is through a combination of contraception availability and education.
I agree and feel it should start at home with the parents and not be the sole responsibility of the child's school and friends to fill them in on the details, but I also think stressing abstinance being the only 100 % effective way around pregnancy, diseases etc. is also important... and helping girls know that the decisions they make will effect the rest of their lives and that they are responsible for the consequences of those decisions.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Lycan said:
I agree and feel it should start at home with the parents and not be the sole responsibility of the child's school and friends to fill them in on the details, but I also think stressing abstinance being the only 100 % effective way around pregnancy, diseases etc. is also important... and helping girls know that the decisions they make will effect the rest of their lives and that they are responsible for the consequences of those decisions.
Stressing that abstinence is the only 100% effective way to avoid pregnancy and diseases is a good beginning, but there needs to be more to the education than that. A percentage of people will always have sex before marriage, and educating them on how to avoid pregnancy and minimise the risk of disease if they are having sex is equally important. Working on minimising the demand for abortions would be a good start.
Lot's of things should start at home with the parents, but children often don't put a huge amount of stock in what their parents say, because, well, they're just mum and dad, and god knows they have no idea what it's like to be a modern teenager.

Lycan

Preternatural
but there needs to be more to the education than that.
I agree completely...

but children often don't put a huge amount of stock in what their parents say
IMHO -
I would tend to disagree with this, I think it is more the lack of "parents saying" than lack of interest in what is said.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Lycan said:
I agree completely...

IMHO -
I would tend to disagree with this, I think it is more the lack of "parents saying" than lack of interest in what is said.
I'll concede that is indeed a factor, but add that I think there's a smattering of both. Parents should take responsibility, but a balanced backup from other reliable sources certainly wont hurt.

Lycan

Preternatural
Parents should take responsibility, but a balanced backup from other reliable sources certainly wont hurt.
Of course... I fully agree schools should be involved too but think the majority of info should come from parents.

ayani

i believe the abortion should be legal, not so much for the benefit of the mother, but for the child.

there's nothing like coming into a familial situation where you're not wanted, getting shuffled through an indifferent child-care system for years, facing indifference and abuse within that system, and winding up dead before you get a chance. which happens all the time here in Indiana.

ideally, people should be willing to take responsibility for their kids, and provide for them, or not have kids at all. unfortunately, this is not often the case, and guess who gets shafted right and left? that's right, the kids.

Melody

gracie said:
i believe the abortion should be legal, not so much for the benefit of the mother, but for the child.

there's nothing like coming into a familial situation where you're not wanted, getting shuffled through an indifferent child-care system for years, facing indifference and abuse within that system, and winding up dead before you get a chance. which happens all the time here in Indiana.
I agree that we need to come up with solutions so that people feel they have other alternatives besides abortion...and ones that protect the child in the process. I wonder though, if you talk to some of these people whose mother chose life...even if they ended up in the uncaring system...how many would say that nonexistence would be preferable? I'm not arguing that there are abuses, but I would prefer to fix the abuses....instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The system needs to be fixed. I've often thought about fostering kids but they won't let us because they require the foster children (at least in this state) to have their own bedrooms. My boys didn't even have their own bedrooms and they certainly weren't deprived. Nor were they any less loved.

ayani

Melody said:
I wonder though, if you talk to some of these people whose mother chose life...even if they ended up in the uncaring system...how many would say that nonexistence would be preferable? I'm not arguing that there are abuses, but I would prefer to fix the abuses....instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
this is true, Melody. but in the meantime, children continue to be abused, neglected, and murdered in lousey home situations all over the country. until we can find a way to seriously help these kids and give them some promise of quality of life and basic protection, we should not bar a woman who is not capable of caring for that child adequately from getting an abortion.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Jensa said:
I believe women should be able to get abortions in the first trimester, no questions asked. Second trimester is a little iffy for me. I'd say only in the early part of the second trimester. And absolutely none at all in the third trimester, unless the infant and mother were both going to die without an abortion.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. It is where I arrived after studying the issue on ReligiousTolerance.org, a site I encourage the reader to investigate. It will take about half an hour to peruse RT.org's information on abortion, but its thoroughness and impartiality makes the investment very much worth the time.

If someone chooses to get an abortion every time they get pregnant or use it as birth control, then they'll end up paying the price with their bodies down the line.
Sadly, this is true, and it is the reason why I find myself in equal agreement with the first two poll options. Don't get me wrong, it's not my position to tell a woman that she shouldn't abort for the purpose of birth control, but I would gently encourage her not to were I in an appropriate position to do it. This dovetails with my overall sentiment; personally I am anti-abortion, but I am in no position to tell a woman who is faced with this tough decision that she is a murderer should she choose to abort.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
No*s said:
This is one of the reasons I never accepted reincarnation :(. The ethical implications are immense. After all, if I kill someone, what if it's their lesson to know what it's like to be cut to pieces? The same logic can be used to justify things on a national, or even global, scale. They will be reborn, and it's one of the lessons they learn.

IMO, don't take a human life. If in doubt, err on the side of life.
Sorry No*s; I didn't see your answer. I don't quite see why you say that what I said was the reason for not accepting reincarnation; I may be being dense. Could you clarify that point for me, please?:)

KateTacular

I fully support full access to abortion at any time by any woman. The excuse that "it shouldn't be used as birth control" is silly to me. If you abort one fetus, what does it matter if you abort another? Was the first one not as important as the subsequent ones? I just don't understand the logic, not trying to be a smartass.

Fluffy

A fool
The excuse that "it shouldn't be used as birth control" is silly to me.
Abortions are harmful to the health of the woman undergoing them. Now its not an extreme health risk but safer alternatives seem more sensible. They are also more expensive. Surely it is better to just buy a condom than abort every foetus you get from unprotected sex?

Also if you view a foetus as a living being then whilst you would view every foetus as important as the last, you would have to accept that you can do nothing for those that have already died and so try and limit the amount that die in the future. Seeing as full access to abortion means than many foetuses die, perhaps people argue the "it shouldnt be used as birth control" argument as like a first step on what they see as the right way to go?

Lycan

Preternatural
this is true, Melody. but in the meantime, children continue to be abused, neglected, and murdered in lousey home situations all over the country. until we can find a way to seriously help these kids and give them some promise of quality of life and basic protection, we should not bar a woman who is not capable of caring for that child adequately from getting an abortion.
so... since child abuse happens we should just kill 'em before they are born?