• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abomination unto The Lord.

Hugh of Borg

If it states very clearly in the Bible that any women who wear any items of Male clothing are an "Abomination unto The Lord" then why do so many women wear Male clothing? Jeans, trousers, shorts, Men's uniforms etc.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
If it states very clearly in the Bible that any women who wear any items of Male clothing are an "Abomination unto The Lord" then why do so many women wear Male clothing? Jeans, trousers, shorts, Men's uniforms etc.

What verse are you referring to?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Deuteronomy 22:5?

That's what I thought. Like many of the Mosaic laws, they no longer apply.

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."
Hebrews 8:13

Riders

AHA! Thinking like my old Pentecostal church, do you come from a church that uses a dresscode? Sounds like it. Wearing long dresses all the time is uncomfortable, abusive strict rigid, physically I cant even do it.

I can wear dresses that are between my knees and ankles or knees in length, but if I put on a long dress like the dress code churches require I trip in them and usually their too heavy for me I cant wear them.

I'm a girly girl even though I wear shorts and slacks, womens slacks have patterns and the way they are cut are very different then mens.

If you think womens shorts and womens slacks look like mens, your perverted. Womens clothing are made feminine. Ive got cute low cut stretchy jeans with cute patches and rips in them, men wouldn't wear them. Their girly looking.

Blouses and and pants outfits are very feminine. That's what the bible was talking about, not the fact weather they wearing dresses or slacks.

I cut my hair too in a bob cut its cute and girly looking too, it doesn't matter. I've had my hair long recently and I've been sick a lot, when it gets long it gets tangled and ratted and I cant function.

Bible thumping dress code churches are way off base. A lot of women older women shouldn't even wear long hair but those kind of churches require anyways even if its unhealthy.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it only applies to Jews and you will find that Orthodox Jews do follow this mitzvah.

Riders

Dress code churchs require long dresses too, they're usually too heavy for me and I cant walk in them. The church would not approve of my shorter dresses,dress code churches, my old Pentecostal church would not.

Those big long dresses they require they're women to wear are old timey and strict, and too big and heavy for me, they're a health hazard for me, I've tripped and almost broke my neck in them.

I've got short short legs. I'm only 5 feet 2 inches tall and I weigh 290 pounds, trying to drag a long dress around on me is crazy.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically men and women have been swapping clothing items for centuries. It just depends on where they happen to live geographically. What is considered "men's" clothing one place may be considered unisex or even "women's" clothing another.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I think he's referring to intentionally trying to look like a man rather than a woman.

But then St Paul says:

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:26-29

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
But then St Paul says:

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:26-29
And then he tells women to cover their heads and men not to have long hair.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Didn't Jesus wear a dress, well it looked like a dress, na, I wouldn't take it too serious, you have draw the line somewhere.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
And then he tells women to cover their heads and men not to have long hair.

If you want to have a shot at Christianity regarding treatment of woman you need better aim:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.
And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
1 Corinthians 14:34-35

It is a religion that's nearly 2,000 years old. What did you expect? Equality of men and woman? You'll need the Baha'is for that:)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If you want to have a shot at Christianity in regards to treatment of woman you need better aim:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.
And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
1 Corinthians 14:34-35

It is a religion that's nearly 2,000 years old. What did you expect? Equality of men and woman? You'll need the Baha'is for that:)
Haha I wasn't taking shots, I was just making mention. I didn't intend any ill-will.

Also, as a Noachide, the only Scripture I accept is the Tanach and that's way older than 2.000 years ;)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Haha I wasn't taking shots, I was just making mention. I didn't intend any ill-will.

Also, as a Noachide, the only Scripture I accept is the Tanach and that's way older than 2.000 years ;)

All good. No ill will intended. It was my warped humour, that's all. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
... high heels:

But interestingly enough, women weren't the first wore them. High-heeled shoes were first worn by MEN. And these heels weren't as much about mobility as nobility.

One painting in the exhibition show King Louis XIV of France wearing very high, red-heeled shoes. "Height and elevation has always had something to do with indicating class, privilege, power," said Small.
Stepping out: A history of high heels

... the colour pink:
For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”
When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

A Vestigial Mote

Ever stop to wonder who decides what clothing is for men vs what clothing is for women? Here's a hint - it's people, not God. God supposedly birthed us into The Garden, where clothes weren't even necessary. That was actually the plan, wasn't it? That humanity all remain in The Garden? Where we all would have remained NAKED - no clothes. But then a bite of the apple was taken (gasp!) and suddenly clothes were "necessary." So... do you seriously think God sat down with Adam and Eve and designed the garments they were to wear? Does God have need of clothes?

In the end, the choices of what clothing styles went with each gender are completely arbitrary from an outside perspective. From within humanity, it probably has something to do with our historic interpretations of our gender roles, and probably comes a bit from a hand-me-down of instinctive mating displays. The way we dress is the way our ancestors have indicated that each gender "looks its best" through the years. Also - look at the mode of dress of other cultures, for goodness sake. How about indigenous tribes of Africa. Who designed their clothing? Would you, as a man of your culture, be willing to dress as a man from their culture? Do you feel it would somehow make you less of a man to do so?