• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abolition of Alcohol

Recreational Alcohol consumption Abolished?

• The harm of alcohol consumption is not applicable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This to me is an important topic and will eventually be a topic discussed around the world because of the dire consequences this drug of choice inflicts upon the individual, the family, the community, the Nation and on to the entire body of humanity.

I unfortunately live in a Nation that pride themselves on getting drunk, and that mentality is expanding as the world is locked down.

I long for the day when the business of Alcohol is seen for what it has become, a killer of humanity.

So this OP shows my stance, that alcoholic beverages are not needed they are a drug of choice and all recreational drugs need to be Abolished. America tried, so what will it take?

What is your stance, what is your view?

Edit I added this so the intent of this OP is known, as my wording might not have shown that is the case.

"So this OP is all about choice and this OP is to explore why we would choose to abstain, if there was no law, or if we may again consider that a law is needed."

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Where I live alcohol is a regulated substance. It is regulated, however adults have personal responsibility, privacy and autonomy. That is important I think: autonomy.

In this country we experimented with banishing alcohol. Banning it yielded little or no benefit, and the prohibition laws were repealed. Secondly it was the government telling people "You are incompetent to make your own decisions." I don't think that is healthy. People should be allowed to feel like they have a moral compass even without a government directing them. There is something good about choosing to be smart versus never having to make a decision. If you never had to decide to behave and to take responsibility then you would lack a certain source of confidence and appreciation for developing your own wits.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where I live alcohol is a regulated substance. Thought it is regulated, adults have personal responsibility, privacy and autonomy. That is important: autonomy. In this country we experimented with banishing alcohol. First of all, banning it yielded little or no benefit. Secondly it was the government telling people "You are incompetent to make your own decisions." I don't think that is healthy. People should be allowed to feel like they have a moral compass even without a government directing them.

I am lucky in a way that I came from drinking Alcohol into a choice to abolish it from my life.

That in turn has given me the ability to know that it is not needed to be consumed in recreational activities. (we are not talking about medicinal uses of)

I have come to see as a responsible adult, knowing that all drugs will have a different level of tolerance and reaction on each individual, that prevention is better than a cure.

I ask myself, how can I be a responsible adult if I partake of a substance that I know will be destroying lives and families all around the world?

Of course that is very simplistic, but that is also the simple answer.

Regards Tony

exchemist

Veteran Member
This to me is an important topic and will eventually be a topic discussed around the world because of the dire consequences this drug of choice inflicts upon the individual, the family, the community, the Nation and on to the entire body of humanity.

I unfortunately live in a Nation that pride themselves on getting drunk, and that mentality is expanding as the world is locked down.

I long for the day when the business of Alcohol is seen for what it has become, a killer of humanity.

So this OP shows my stance, that alcoholic beverages are not needed they are a drug of choice and all recreational drugs need to be Abolished. America tried, so what will it take?

Regards Tony
I think a world without alcohol would be miserable. If Christ drank alcohol, that’s enough of a recommendation for me.;)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We've tried abolition before. It didn't work well. Not only was the abolition a miserable failure inofitself, but it gave a boon to criminal empires.

I have no problem with alcohol in moderation. And consider it less damaging than the prolific amount of sugar we feed ourselves and children, really. Regulation must exist to prevent intoxicated people from hurting others. But that's as far as I'll go.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I am lucky in a way that I came from drinking Alcohol into a choice to abolish it from my life.

That in turn has given me the ability to know that it is not needed to be consumed in recreational activities. (we are not talking about medicinal uses of)

I have come to see as a responsible adult, knowing that all drugs will have a different level of tolerance and reaction on each individual, that prevention is better than a cure.

I ask myself, how can I be a responsible adult if I partake of a substance that I know will be destroying lives and families all around the world?

Regards Tony
It is possible that the (limited) medicinal uses of alcohol are even fewer than we think. I have occasionally used alcohol to reset myself from a rut of bad feelings, but I have heard of some other ways to reset such as getting into a sauna followed by icy water. To me I am going to do whatever works as I spiral up the mountain to become an ever better brick.

prolific amount of sugar we feed ourselves and children
Oh, yes. That sugar probably has caused a lot more problems than can ever be accounted for. USA would probably be a better place had we not allowed the food to get so sugary. I look back at the food I used to eat as a kid and think about all the problems I had concentrating in school and mood swings. I see a likely connection. Meanwhile lots of kids ballooned up and were doomed to a life of being extremely pudgy. My best friend suffered much because of this, and people in my family have, too.

QuestioningMind

Regards Tony

That's great... if that's the choice you choose to make. But please don't try to impose your choice onto me or anyone else. There are millions of people who are quite capable of indulging in alcohol or other drugs in a responsible manner with absolutely no negative consequences.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The world would be a better place without the irresponsible use of alcohol and the world would be a worse place without the responsible use of alcohol. I see a good argument for both sides.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think a world without alcohol would be miserable. If Christ drank alcohol, that’s enough of a recommendation for me.;)

I can attest that a world without alcohol would be heaven on earth. ;) I was at one time a person that thought alcohol could give a good time, yet our body also warns us differently, but then we ignore what our body tells us and then pride ourselves on the size of the hangover, or feed more alcohol to feel a bit better.

Now I will heave the sarcastic replies with passion as where I live alcohol has destroyed a town.

1200 odd people and 3 pubs thriving and the vast majority of that government supplied money, is being flushed down a toilet.

Alcoholism, dialysis, diabetes, partner abuse, all night parties feeding carnal desires a plauge in my town.

Wow that is so much fun, let's go have another drink. Meanwhile nurses and doctors get no rest.

I think that offers all that I see alcohol is, there is no place for it in life.

You will note that I now have a solid stance on this topic, but that is my opinion and my choice.

Regards Tony

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Often times most people are ok with alcohol. Numerous studies have shown benefits of moderate alcohol consumption. Often times it's even used as a cooking ingredient.
But alcohol prohibition we know already fails and makes dangerous amd violent criminals powerful and wealthy.
Better to emphasize responsible use (as with all drugs) rather than take a repeatedly failed course.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's great... if that's the choice you choose to make. But please don't try to impose your choice onto me or anyone else. There are millions of people who are quite capable of indulging in alcohol or other drugs in a responsible manner with absolutely no negative consequences.

I see that people will make their own choices, but I do see a time when those millions of people that feel that are capable and responsible to consume alcoholic beverages, will out of Love and compassion for those that can not, freely give up the unnecessary practice.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would like to see ads that show the negative side. For every beer commercial showing people having fun, maybe the companies could pay for an ad showing someone puking their guts out, or going through the DTs from withdrawal. Admittedly, we have come a long way in the last 50 years, as there is some warning, like the MADD ads, and the 'drink responsibly' stuff. I think it could go further, just as education. Too much glory, not enough gory.

Prohibition simply doesn't work.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The world would be a better place without the irresponsible use of alcohol and the world would be a worse place without the responsible use of alcohol. I see a good argument for both sides.

Yes indeed that is the truth. There will be people that an partake in a responsible way.

The interesting point to consider is that alcohol, no matter how responsible you are, effects the capabilities of the Mind. That is why there are laws in relation to driving while intoxicated. Without those laws many responsible people would be less responsible.

So why would an intelligent person want to dull the capacity of their mind?

From a person that does not drink, sitting in a group that does, I can say that the capacity on intelligent conversation deminishes the more people consume, yet they remain unaware of this and even think they are offering great wisdom. ;)

I know this as I am usually the dedicated driver.

Regards Tony

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It is not needed for you, but you cannot say the same of others. It is seen as a pleasure when used in moderation, and certain recreational activities, alcohol adds to the experience of it for them. To try to take that choice away from others when it can be used responsibly, is prudish and invasive. That's not something that people in a free society tolerate very well. They liken it to being ruled by the Taliban.

Regards Tony
You should stop using it yourself if it causes you trouble. But you forget about those who don't abuse it. It is possible for them to drink responsibly and moderate themselves. Others who cannot, should stop drinking or seek help with it.

Telling others in a close relationship they need to stop so you can stop is understandable. Telling the whole world unilaterally that they need to stop, is not taking individual responsibility. We change the world, by changing ourselves first. Not the other way around.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted <No>.
I could've voted for "I do recognise the harm of access
consumption", but the spelling errors were just too offensive.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Often times most people are ok with alcohol. Numerous studies have shown benefits of moderate alcohol consumption. Often times it's even used as a cooking ingredient.
But alcohol prohibition we know already fails and makes dangerous amd violent criminals powerful and wealthy.
Better to emphasize responsible use (as with all drugs) rather than take a repeatedly failed course.

I see if you remove the alcohol content, that studies will still show the benefits of taking specific substances as a dietary additive.

I have not uses an alcohol cooking ingredient since early 1980, it is not needed in our diet.

Yes prohibition is a tricky one, one has to be open to following laws that is for sure.

It is a law of my Faith which I happily embrace, but I know many do not have that same clarity of choice.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because it's fun. And why not? Life's too short to not loosen up and sample life every once in awhile.

I can offer that one does not need alcohol for fun, but that is the choices we do have to make in life.

Do we choose fun for ourselves over the good of all people?

Regards Tony

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Yes indeed that is the truth. There will be people that an partake in a responsible way.

The interesting point to consider is that alcohol, no matter how responsible you are, effects the capabilities of the Mind. That is why there are laws in relation to driving while intoxicated. Without those laws many responsible people would be less responsible.

So why would an intelligent person want to dull the capacity of their mind?

From a person that does not drink, sitting in a group that does, I can say that the capacity on intelligent conversation deminishes the more people consume, yet they remain unaware of this and even think they are offering great wisdom. ;)

I know this as I am usually the dedicated driver.

Regards Tony

I don't drink these days because of a medical condition but I miss having a quiet beer with my mates. I am also usually the designated driver so if alcohol were to be abolished we would both be out of a job!