• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AA and other 12 Step groups

Riders

I want to put this up here, either for debating or just general observations and experiences and any of the 12 step groups.

My name is Elizabeth,Im a compulsive over eater and Sex and love addict, and Adult Child of an Alcoholic, codependant . The last 2 ACOA and CODA I'm not getting help for.

My Mom was a recovering alcoholic of 34 years died year and a half ago, she raised me up in Alateen and AA and ALanon.

So Ive got lots of stuff to put here Ill write more later, but anyone has anything positive or negative please put it up here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My only complaint is that we tend to glorify things such as AA and 12 step programs as if they are the only way to recovery. Studies show they only work for those who are enthusiastic about the program and put the effort and energy into it. I'm also not too big into the step of the higher power and giving yourself to this higher power. I also don't like the idea of total abstaining, because it does create a "forbidden fruit" rather than teaching moderation (especially in the cases of things like alcohol and sex). I also cannot stand the notion that people are always an addict, even though it may have been decades since there last indulgence. They aren't addicts anymore at that point, as the chemical imbalances that lead to addiction have long since been restored to normal, and I have known many recovered alcoholics who are able to responsibly consume alcoholic beverages without a relapse into addiction.
Instead of saying "you have to do it this way" we have to realize that everyone is different, and different methods of addiction treatment will work for different people. Not many, but some people are able to quit cold turkey, some do just fine with a support group, and some do find strength in this higher power. No matter what the path of recovery is, we must not insist there is a "one-size fits all" approach.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Having been court ordered to attend AA meetings, I find AA helps keep me sober in that as long as I can stay sober, I will never have to attend another AA meeting as long as I live, and that's a strong motivator for me, as I really hate AA!!

Riders

Hey yea a lot of points there. I don't think I can go through all of them because I don't remember all of them. But some key points I agree with you on.
The first 3 steps with the higher power in it. Ive been going to UU and as a Universalist Id like to see 12 Steps be more accepting of both Atheists and earthbased folks. Many really take a dim view of those who don't believe in the 1 God.
As for the Higher power,there are some athiests in AA,they claim a power greater then themselves, its just a way of saying your powerless and theres something that can help you.
Id rather the program give the choice of saying I know Ive got a problem and the group can give me help to quit my addiction' instead of saying higher power because that word HP suggests they are excluding atheists.
Also on the idea of AA and 12 step groups saying theyre the only ones the whole thing is that there are many methods and even other support groups for alcoholism and other addictions.
Of course for food addiction we all know theres a million ways to lose weight.
But SOS is one group that doesn't use spirituality,There are other rehabs that don't use the 12 Steps today.
There is also the wacky notion of using spirituality and church or religion/religious services . I'm using my Zen Buddhist beliefs to help me with getting my weight down so I can sit on the floor with everyone.
Some Christians use the church and other religions as well.So they are wrong.
Also when it comes to staying your whole life agree. My Mom stayed her whole life even at the age of 87 and some say she was a hero for helping others its true.
But I do sometimes wonder if it wasn't in part because she was dependant on AA.I don't plan on staying past 3 or 4 years its ridiculous,maybe 5 at the most.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The first 3 steps with the higher power in it. Ive been going to UU and as a Universalist Id like to see 12 Steps be more accepting of both Atheists and earthbased folks. Many really take a dim view of those who don't believe in the 1 God.
As for the Higher power,there are some athiests in AA,they claim a power greater then themselves, its just a way of saying your powerless and theres something that can help you.
It's not just atheists and non-theists, but also believe that god (or whatever they believe in) doesn't or can't intervene. Many look inwards for power. My personal approach is strength in yourself and support from those you can actually talk to and even touch in your difficult times, but even then I realize that with any sort of mental treatment we need to have multiple options available, and attempts to access which treatment option is likely to work best for an individual patient, because 12 step programs do not work for all, but they are very common and often court mandated. If it works for you, great, because a step that doesn't work for or apply to everyone, and one that isn't necessary, is an area that needs to reworked for those it isn't going to help. Some people find this strength in a higher power, some do not. And people need strength in something, and 7 of the twelve steps involve something that just isn't going to work for some.

Riders

In the defense of 12 step programs, the 5 percent who get better isn't right. I read a sight on the net that talked about the actual people who went to 12 step programs and took the stats on folks who came in. WHat he said was this. There is no such thing as actually taking a statistics on 12 Step groups truly.

Its because in order to do it to really find out who makes it sober in the end is to follow people around for 10 years of their life 100 of them.
Theres no real way so what they did was to go in and follow 100 new people in their first month,most of which do drop out.

The trouble is none of these people actually worked the 12 step program, they didn't read literature, get a sponser, do the steps and go to meetings regular.

So the 5 percent you speak of are people who aren't active. But if you go to meetings everyday ,stats go up, if you pray and meditate, stats go up, read literature stats go up,get a sponser stats go up, going to a religious service regular shoots it way up, also getting on a fitness plan exercising eating right does, the one thing that shoots it up real is those go to treatment, for 3 months or at least a month, and those who go and live in a halfway house I think the stats up to about 50 percent its good.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've not needed a 12-step program but I really appreciate the good that they do since I know people who have turned their lives around by following the steps. More power to them.

This is of course not to say that they are a panacea for everyone, but for those that work the program seriously, I've seen the good they do.