• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Young Black woman's experience with police

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Short and Lite but undeniably not right. As a person with Black friends I can tell you it is not unique to her. It happens to my friends as well.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm not defending the cops. I'm not denying racism.

That said, think how much different this would be if - for the last 50 years - everyone in the country felt financially secure in their homes and financially secure in all the basic necessities of life.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I'm not defending the cops. I'm not denying racism.

That said, think how much different this would be if - for the last 50 years - everyone in the country felt financially secure in their homes and financially secure in all the basic necessities of life.

I really don't think it would matter people always have problems and are always looking to blame someone else. Immigrants, religions are always discriminated against for most they can hide and blend in but for black people they stand out by observation alone, which makes them an easy target.

icehorse

Premium Member
I really don't think it would matter people always have problems and are always looking to blame someone else. Immigrants, religions are always discriminated against for most they can hide and blend in but for black people they stand out by observation alone, which makes them an easy target.

I wasn't making a 100% claim. Of course their will always be the kinds of issues you mention. But my claim is that if we were closer to income and wealth equality, the problems we're seeing would be greatly reduced. Not entirely eliminated, but greatly reduced.

icehorse

Premium Member
It all points out the dire necessity to have cops continuously monitored.

As depicted on TV, cops wearing body-cams seems more and more common. Perhaps body-cams are not that common in real life?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It all points out the dire necessity to have cops continuously monitored.
Monitoring is good but we also need a system willing to do corrective measures instead of just shuffling those with complaints around, or giving them slaps on the wrist, if they do anything at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Monitoring is good but we also need a system willing to do corrective measures instead of just shuffling those with complaints around, or giving them slaps on the wrist, if they do anything at all.
If one watches the videos, one will see a cop changing his
attitude 180 degrees upon discovering he's being watched.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If one watches the videos, one will see a cop changing his
attitude 180 degrees upon discovering he's being watched.
Have we? I mean, we see cops using unnecessary force through their body cams which I assume they know they have. I'm not sure how effective security cameras would be in this scenario, especially of those who evaluate the footage and make disciplinary calls don't have more of an interest in evaluating them objectively.

Don't get me wrong, I think they'd be useful for us, the public, to see what's going on with highest transparency, but we need reform in the police department too I think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....I think they'd be useful for us, the public, to see what's going on with highest transparency, but we need reform in the police department too I think.
I've been blathering on & on recently about the need for much more
extensive reforms. So we agree on that. But sometimes I like to
address specifics, eg, the value of cops being watched, & knowing
they're watched. The one vikdeo of her experience made that compelling.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

That is a root problem and something that was expressed inherently as an ideal in the Declaration of Independence. Liberty is more than just not being locked up for a crime the person did not commit. It's more than just being able to vote. Created equal means that everyone should be treated equal in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of government.

tytlyf

Not Religious
That's why I don't vote republican. We're in this mess because of capitalist policies.

These things hurt the middle class:
-Against minimum wage increase
-Against unions
-Against social security
-Against medicare
-Against safety nets
-Against tax relief for middle class
-Against safety laws that protect middle class

These are current day republican policies.

I know why people in the middle class would vote republican. They think republicans are the lesser of 2 evils.