• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A worldwide community called “the Baha’i Faith”

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Same thing ... just as population can be exaggerated so too can influence. I remember a few years back when a Baha'i informed me how Mahatma Gandhi couldn't possible be who he was or to have done what he did without the influence of Baha'ullah. All this despite hearing a similar peace message from hundreds of sources. It's a natural energy flow to think you and yours are important. Whether or not that's logical is another matter.

You attribute it to Baha'u'llah. I attribute it to many factors. The Doukabhors and others left Russia because they were non-violent. I suppose that's because of the Baha'i influence as well? When evangelising Christians first encountered the writings of the Tamil Saint Tiruvalluvar fame, they jumped to the conclusion that he must have had some good Christian friends who influenced him into writing what he wrote, as it couldn't possible be on his own accord. I suppose soon we'll have Baha'u'llah time travelling to influence Tiruvalluvar as well.

I view the non-violence messages as all good. As to who influenced whom, and all that, who knows?

Here's a lengthy list of peace activists. Please note that some pre-date your prophet.

List of peace activists - Wikipedia

And yet world peace has so far remained elusive. Have we tried everything?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
And yet world peace has so far remained elusive. Have we tried everything?

I have no problem with the world being in a perfect state ... of evolution. You think the fires in your country are preventable by talk of peace.

Acceptance of things as they are, and a love without attachment to outcome keeps me with peace of mind. I see no point in getting agitated over things we cannot change. But go ahead if it makes you feel better.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hi..... Yes ....... No.
That's a BIC website (Bahai International Community) and not an United Nations one. One the page which your link sent me it mentions many areas of concern for the United Nations but which Bahai observers do not sit upon.

Here is a list of the various offices/committees that sit:which Bahai does not sit upon :-
Children & Youth
Communications
Conflict Resolution
Disarmament
Disaster Relief
Drug Abuse
Education
Environment
Ethics & Values
Family
Health & Nutrition
Human Resources, Social & Cultural Development
Indigenous Peoples
Law
Natural Resources & Energy
Peace & Security
Population & Human Settlements
Refugees
Religion
Science & Technology
Sustainable Development
Trade, Finance & Transport
Status of Women
United Nations desk

However, a Bahai observer (with several other organisation observers) does sit upon the;-
Human Rights section

Whereas observers like the Quakers do have an office in the UN plaza, thus:-
777 United Nations Plaza, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10017
USA
Phone 212-682-2745.............

................. The Bahai offices do not appear to have any addresses within any UN complex.

Therefore it does appear that any communications sent anywhere in the Worls by Bahai issue from either it's Addis Abbada or Brussels offices.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi..... Yes ....... No.
That's a BIC website (Bahai International Community) and not an United Nations one. One the page which your link sent me it mentions many areas of concern for the United Nations but which Bahai observers do not sit upon.

Here is a list of the various offices/committees that sit:which Bahai does not sit upon :-
Children & Youth
Communications
Conflict Resolution
Disarmament
Disaster Relief
Drug Abuse
Education
Environment
Ethics & Values
Family
Health & Nutrition
Human Resources, Social & Cultural Development
Indigenous Peoples
Law
Natural Resources & Energy
Peace & Security
Population & Human Settlements
Refugees
Religion
Science & Technology
Sustainable Development
Trade, Finance & Transport
Status of Women
United Nations desk

However, a Bahai observer (with several other organisation observers) does sit upon the;-
Human Rights section

Whereas observers like the Quakers do have an office in the UN plaza, thus:-
777 United Nations Plaza, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10017
USA
Phone 212-682-2745.............

................. The Bahai offices do not appear to have any addresses within any UN complex.

Therefore it does appear that any communications sent anywhere in the Worls by Bahai issue from either it's Addis Abbada or Brussels offices.

Anyone or group can appoint delegates to anything. That doesn't mean they would be invited or asked to speak. Many governments or NGOs have spots for observers at any of their meetings. Just because I'm sitting up in the public viewing area of my provincial government assembly doesn't mean I'm a member of said government. There are observers all over the place.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
6C7783B2-BBD2-4EEF-918E-6C2D99040CD2.png

Bahá'í UN Office, 866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 120

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Anyone or group can appoint delegates to anything. That doesn't mean they would be invited or asked to speak. Many governments or NGOs have spots for observers at any of their meetings. Just because I'm sitting up in the public viewing area of my provincial government assembly doesn't mean I'm a member of said government. There are observers all over the place.

Hi....
Bahai does have official status as an Observer on the HR committee of the UN with others, thus:-
Human Rights
American Humanist Association
Baha'i International Community
Center of Concern
IACERHRG
(The International Association "CAUCASUS: Ethnic Relations, Human Rights, Geopolitics")
International Campaign To Ban Landmines
International Immigrants Foundation - International Cultures Mission
International Union for Land Value Taxation
The National Group of Georgia of the International Society for Human Rights (ISHR-IGFM)
Yachay Wasi
RESOURCES:
UNICEF site on Convention on the Rights of the Child
UNESCO site on Convention on the Rights of the Child

........ but as you say, these observers are not allowed to comment or communicate at all.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi....
Bahai does have official status as an Observer on the HR committee of the UN with others, thus:-
Human Rights
Center of Concern
IACERHRG
(The International Association "CAUCASUS: Ethnic Relations, Human Rights, Geopolitics")
The National Group of Georgia of the International Society for Human Rights (ISHR-IGFM)
Yachay Wasi
RESOURCES:

........ but as you say, these observers are not allowed to comment or communicate at all.

And NGOs have offices at UN Plaza ... so are hotels located there.

Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza Midtown East Hotel

Jim

Nets of Wonder
There might be some confusion about something I posted earlier, so I’ll say it again, without the confusing part.

I said that one of the common activities of Baha’i communities all around the world is participating in public discussions about current issues. That does not include participating in any campaigns of denunciation of any kind, for any purpose. It’s about discussing spiritual principles that need to be considered in the responses of individuals, communities and institutions, to current issues. As an example of that, there is a Baha’i office that submits statements to international conferences where representatives of governments and NGOs are discussing how to respond to the issues. Some examples of topics:
- Realizing the equality of women and men
- Human rights and the well-being of humankind
- Development and community building
- Youth as protagonists of constructive change
- Religion in the life of society

Bahá’í International Community

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi....
Human Rights
Center of Concern
IACERHRG
Yachay Wasi
RESOURCES:

They can 'communicate' by writing letters or making statements, sending them to the press, and the like. But whether or not it's considered would be determined by whether or not there was a response (other than the 'thank you for your letter' type)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
They can 'communicate' by writing letters or making statements, sending them to the press, and the like. But whether or not it's considered would be determined by whether or not there was a response (other than the 'thank you for your letter' type)
Fair enough:

I bit on that post because it referred to a Bahai United Nations Office. Unlike the Quakers (for example) it does not have an address for post at one. That's all,

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thus the UN Resolutions that have been based on those submissions, have been posted on RF in former times.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thus the UN Resolutions that have been based on those submissions, have been posted on RF in former times.

Regards Tony
Gee, maybe that happened on the year I was away, as I can't recall any non-Baha'i sources on that. I've been googling about the 2000 World Peace Summit where 150 or more religious delrgates spoke to heads of state and other delegates. I hope to find some Baha'i involvement soon.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m planning to discuss the contents of the training for children, junior youth and adults. For now I’ll just say that it revolves around spiritual growth and community service, and that it sometimes leads to participation in public discussions about current issues, and collaboration with others in initiatives for economic and social development.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh well...... if I should ever find myself in New York (unlikely) I won't be staying anywhere near there. Do they do any cheap B&B in New York? :p

You can join the ranks of the homeless for a bit.

Actually, I've considered a pilgrimage to Queens, and was there staying with friends in about 1983 or so. Not as expensive as one would think, if you get out of Manhattan.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I have no problem with the world being in a perfect state ... of evolution. You think the fires in your country are preventable by talk of peace.

Acceptance of things as they are, and a love without attachment to outcome keeps me with peace of mind. I see no point in getting agitated over things we cannot change. But go ahead if it makes you feel better.

I believe it’s spiritually healthy to have a noble goal and vision to strive towards for oneself and ones community. Without any vision or goals in life our youth wander distracted into things like drugs and binge drinking, because there seems to be not much for them to aspire to except to make money and increase wealth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe it’s spiritually healthy to have a noble goal and vision to strive towards for oneself and ones community. Without any vision or goals in life our youth wander distracted into things like drugs and binge drinking, because there seems to be not much for them to aspire to except to make money and increase wealth.

I agree. Most people do have such goals. Of course some get lost. The percentage of people who go to post secondary schools is constantly on the rise.

At the same time goals need to be realistic and not from some dreamy fairy tale. Unrealistic goals are a sure path to disappointment.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You can join the ranks of the homeless for a bit.

Actually, I've considered a pilgrimage to Queens, and was there staying with friends in about 1983 or so. Not as expensive as one would think, if you get out of Manhattan.

Interesting..,,,,,,
Happily I can never go abroad any more. My last passport expired in September 19' and I will not be renewing it. I only kept one because it was easier for travel to N.Ireland or Glasgow by 'plane if I had one, and when I needed it to renew my trainer and security licences.

Happy retirement.......... I'm busier than I've ever been, but separated away from all the hassle of my old world.