• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Woman's Brutal Killing Shocks the Arab World

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Naira Ashraf, a 21-year-old Egyptian woman, was fatally stabbed by a man whose advances she had rejected:

Abu Dhabi and Cairo (CNN) — The brutal killing of a young woman in broad daylight on an Egyptian street has shocked the Arab world, bringing the country's gender-based violence crisis into the spotlight.

Naira Ashraf, 21, was fatally stabbed on Monday by a man whose advances she rejected, according to Egyptian prosecutors who said the suspect was arrested outside northern Egypt's Mansoura University, where the incident took place and where Ashraf was studying.

Video from a nearby CCTV camera showing a man attacking a woman outside the university went viral across the Arab world this week. A lawyer for Ashraf's family confirmed to CNN that the video shows the incident in which Ashraf was killed.

A woman's brutal killing shocks the Arab world - CNN

If found guilty of murder, the perpetrator may face the death penalty per Egyptian law.

Sexism, gendered violence, and patriarchy continue to plague multiple parts of the Arab world. The Arab world will never truly move forward until concrete measures are taken to ensure all women are safe, legally and socially, from violent sexists and their apologists.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Naira Ashraf, a 21-year-old Egyptian woman, was fatally stabbed by a man whose advances she had rejected:

A woman's brutal killing shocks the Arab world - CNN

If found guilty of murder, the perpetrator may face the death penalty per Egyptian law.

Sexism, gendered violence, and patriarchy continue to plague multiple parts of the Arab world. The Arab world will never truly move forward until concrete measures are taken to ensure all women are safe, legally and socially, from violent sexists and their apologists.

It’s not just the Arab world sadly.

rocala

On the subject of violence against women. As a westerner, I am too busy being deeply ashamed of my own heritage to have time to tell the Arab world how to get their house in order.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Side-question: Do you think he deserves the death penalty? I.e., is this the proper way to deal with murderers in your opinion?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Side-question: Do you think he deserves the death penalty? I.e., is this the proper way to deal with murderers in your opinion?

I'm against the death penalty mainly because of the evidence that it's not effective as a deterrent, its irreversibility, its major potential for abuse, the inevitability of conviction of innocent people and executing them, and the higher rates of recidivism in retributive justice systems compared to rehabilitative ones.

That said, the death penalty is already in Egyptian law, and it's not going to disappear just for this guy. So his execution would be the least of my concerns, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'm a lot more concerned about how society and various institutions will tackle the root causes of gendered violence moving forward. Executing one murderer and calling it a day wouldn't prevent such incidents from happening again in the future.