• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Western Feminist Defends the Muslim Veil

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
you have christian nuns who are respected more than the average non muslim woman. why? well because she is a fully dressed and covered woman. it's the same in islam. women do not have to be nuns for us to respect them more than anything else. they just need to give the men an indication that they are women who want to be modest and respected as much as possible and thats what the islamic dress code which includes the veil does.

To disrespect someone because of how he or she is dressed would be morally erroneous, would it not? Shouldn't we respect people for more profound reasons than how they are dressed?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
To disrespect someone because of how he or she is dressed would be morally erroneous, would it not?

it isn't all that much about respect though but instead modesty.

in islam even though women and men are all dressed up, it is still not permited to mix the sexes. like i said before, Allah says in the quran do not go near adultery, etc. so not mixing the sexes is a great step towards obeying that command.

it's not like a non muslim woman will get dissrespected by muslim men just because she is uncovered or has less clothes than muslim women, in such cases the prophet has advised us to lower our gaze. but in no way to dissrespect her for dressing the way she has. everyone is free to do what the want. all muslim believe that islam is the only true religion but that doesn't give us the right to dissrespect other faiths and it's followers.

Shouldn't we respect people for more profound reasons than how they are dressed?

yes we should. we shouldn't also dissrespect people for liking things other than what we like or that do things other than what we like to do.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
in an islamic society you will never hear men whistling to women on the street.
No. men would just skip that part and move straight to more revealing harassment:
from: The Arab Observer: Jordanian women and sexual street harassers

There has been plenty of fights that has triggered in the university because of this issue. There seem to be a culture among young men where they feel that it is their rights to harass a woman just because she isn't veiled, or wearing a tight shirt or jeans, or any kind of a revealing cloth that is up of his standards of women cloths.

I was appailed when I first heard this excuse. A few years ago, while going out for lunch with a co-worker, who happened to be a very religious person, who always talks about el haram o el halal (right and wrong) and who never miss any prayer, and fast all of the Ramadan and even the extra fasting days along the year. He started harassing two women who were standing in the street looking for a taxi. He slowed down next to wear they stood, he opened his window, and dropped a sleazy comment.

syberpriend

No. men would just skip that part and move straight to more revealing harassment:
from: The Arab Observer: Jordanian women and sexual street harassers

Caladan, EEslam quote for an Islamic society, Jordan specially Amman is too much influenced by western culture, its more open thn to be consider an Islamic society and true Islamic city, Consider some better islamic society, thn quote, and please dnt quote links totaly out of context, bring the complete pic so ppl may get idea clearly.

Rape and sexual assault myths & reasons:.
List of Rape Myths

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Caladan, EEslam quote for an Islamic society, Jordan specially Amman is too much influenced by western culture, its more open thn to be consider an Islamic society and true Islamic city, Consider some better islamic society, thn quote, and please dnt quote links totaly out of context, bring the complete pic so ppl may get idea clearly.

Rape and sexual assault myths & reasons:.
List of Rape Myths
Please point me to your 'pure Islamic society', and when you do, please point me to its angelic moral perfection :rolleyes:
Also notice the examples in my source, if you really read it you saw it talks about VERY RELIGIOUS Muslim men harassing women.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Please point me to your 'pure Islamic society', and when you do, please point me to its angelic moral perfection :rolleyes:
Also notice the examples in my source, if you really read it you saw it talks about VERY RELIGIOUS Muslim men harassing women.

a pure islamic society does not exists today, the west has stuffed it's nose in places it shouldn't have. so a pure islamic society dates back to say the prophet. and the khalifat years.

syberpriend

Im giving u link for social and moral conduct of Islam, which a society cana adopt to get good civilisation and living, now after reading it, tell me if any clause u feel uun-human or un-ethical.
2ndly Ive read whole source given by u,most of it refers to young ammani guys, and the females mostly targeted are liberal.

Zebra said...
Its great to see it from a man's perspective. I get harrassed daily walking from my car to my office building. I am not veiled but i do not wear revealing clothing, unless people consider jeans and a sweater to be revealing. I dont know what men think they will get out of yelling at us like horny apes. I once had to stop and yell and a man and ask him if he would like the same to be done to his mother or sister.. he then apologised. Just because women dress nicely it doesnt mean we like to be harrassed. But as a woman i have to say that a woman who likes to show a lot of cleavage is asking for it ( sorry ladies)
10:17 AM
blank.gif

Nas said... Well fadi it is a problem that we have in jordan but i think as you said the main root of this is sexual frustration that our jordanian community forces on us. i mean relationships between men and women are still unacceptable(before marriage) even though they do happen but still in a very descrete and annoying way. this drives the young men to do things that they know are wrong but like to do them as a kind of a relief from this frustration.I mean this doesnt happen abroad or at least not in a dirty sleezy way and i do believe its getting worse i heard many stories of men harassing girls going out of cafes and bars and not just verbally so it is a social problem.
10:37 AM
blank.gif

Suha said... Definition of sexual harassment in Amman:

- Ugly poor east ammani guy with no car making a pass or leering or gesturing to a west ammani girl.

Definition of potential boy friend:

- Good looking west ammani guy with nice car making a pass or leering or gesturing to a west ammani girl.

By quoting example of 1 bad guy (Islamic), u cant judge all the person are same. its individual act, told u already, uve to see in complete as a whole figure, not an individual. Read my article for rape and sexual assault myths.

ThereIsNoSpoon

you tell me, it's your statement.
Its a fact and observable what tricks many male and female saudis every now and then use to get into contact.
If you dont know about it then i would assume you have never been there.

If you demand proof for that statement, then tell me what kind of proof you would expect/accept for that. A tv report? Should i wander around and film those people?

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Its a fact and observable what tricks many male and female saudis every now and then use to get into contact.
If you dont know about it then i would assume you have never been there.

i've never been there.

If you demand proof for that statement, then tell me what kind of proof you would expect/accept for that. A tv report? Should i wander around and film those people?

no need to provide any proof, i can sort of convince myself that you are right, have seen that kind of stuff go on in many other places, i don't think the people of saudi arabia are sinless.

ThereIsNoSpoon

no need to provide any proof, i can sort of convince myself that you are right, have seen that kind of stuff go on in many other places, i don't think the people of saudi arabia are sinless.

Well if this is so, then why did you say that i had only made a statement and you saw no proof? Obviously you do agree with me.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Well if this is so, then why did you say that i had only made a statement and you saw no proof? Obviously you do agree with me.

at the time you only made an unexplained statement. and you said it was about back biting.

so i don't think i've agreed with you. have i?

ThereIsNoSpoon

at the time you only made an unexplained statement. and you said it was about back biting.
Not really. You spoke about whistling after women and i simply intended to say that in supposed islamic societies there are simply other ways to "communicate" ones "desires".
One of them is to use cell phones, another is talking with your fellow pals about the ladies and so on.

I see no difference between people talking amongst themselves about the "*****" over the street and those that whistle when they see her.