• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A way to be more connected to the land.

Theweirdtophat

I have though of ways to be more connected to the Earth. Meditation always helps and since I live near a forest, I often meditate there. The forest is my favorite kind of region to live in and I thought if I were to be more connected to the earth, why just the forest. If I get enough money I would travel to other areas and regions, like the desert, wetlands, tropical areas, tundra ect. so that I can get a better perspective and connect with each different types of land and feel their energy. I believe it would and give me a better perpective of the Earth by feeling the energy of all different types of land. I was wondering if anyone has tried or thought of this. :)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have though of ways to be more connected to the Earth. Meditation always helps and since I live near a forest, I often meditate there. The forest is my favorite kind of region to live in and I thought if I were to be more connected to the earth, why just the forest. If I get enough money I would travel to other areas and regions, like the desert, wetlands, tropical areas, tundra ect. so that I can get a better perspective and connect with each different types of land and feel their energy. I believe it would and give me a better perpective of the Earth by feeling the energy of all different types of land. I was wondering if anyone has tried or thought of this. :)

I have traveled fairly extensively and visited most of the types of terrain you mentioned, with the exception of tundra. I have also never been to a tropical rainforest, although I have been to a temperate one. This is one of my favorite activities when I get the time to do it. I have also meditated hundreds of miles out to sea with no land in sight (not my favorite). Temperate rainforest (Washington State), and desert are probably my favorites. I prefer milder weather though.
The energies in each location is subtly different, nothing too drastic, just enough to notice. It's an amazing experience and I recommend it if you can afford to travel.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Well, yes.:) I haven't gotten to do this as much as I would like in the past few years, but in my younger days I took advantage of many opportunities while traveling to do so. Unfortunately, most of the time when I travel these days, it's on business with little opportunity to do much else. Limited vacations have allowed some experience of different environments, but not enough. I'd really like to spend at least a year in each environment, to get used to the rhythms of the place. ;) Certainly can't afford to do that right now!:(

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's an interesting idea, and something I implement in practice wherever I happen to travel far. I'm not a big traveller, however, and it is not the goal of my path to attempt to connect with the entire planet. It's too big. I'm never going to grasp it, so I do not bother trying. Pretty much from the gate, I aimed for my path to be locally-centered. I work to develop deeper relationships with various aspects, and I can only do that with things that are local to me and that I can interact with on a day-to-day basis. I also aim to not be guilty of overlooking what is in our own backyards.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have though of ways to be more connected to the Earth.
I'm always puzzled when I read things like this. You are currently residing in a physical body in a three dimensional world that is literally all around you. How much more connected do you have to be? That said, I suppose we could staple you to the nearest tree.

Meditation always helps and since I live near a forest, I often meditate there. The forest is my favorite kind of region to live in and I thought if I were to be more connected to the earth, why just the forest. If I get enough money I would travel to other areas and regions, like the desert, wetlands, tropical areas, tundra ect. so that I can get a better perspective and connect with each different types of land and feel their energy. I believe it would and give me a better perspective of the Earth by feeling the energy of all different types of land. I was wondering if anyone has tried or thought of this. :)
Your expectations will figure prominently in all such endeavors.

Theweirdtophat

I'm always puzzled when I read things like this. You are currently residing in a physical body in a three dimensional world that is literally all around you. How much more connected do you have to be? That said, I suppose we could staple you to the nearest tree.

Well I like to travel anyway and see new environments. You know of the desert but you won't know what it's really like until you go there. Same way for those who work with energy. I can feel energy in my area but I want to feel it in many different places. The energy of a desert will be different compared to a forest.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well I like to travel anyway and see new environments. You know of the desert but you won't know what it's really like until you go there. Same way for those who work with energy. I can feel energy in my area but I want to feel it in many different places. The energy of a desert will be different compared to a forest.
As I said, your expectations will figure prominently in all such endeavors. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

Theweirdtophat

As I said, your expectations will figure prominently in all such endeavors. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

Maybe, maybe not, but I won't know until I try. If nothing it's a good excuse to travel anyway.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Not speaking for the OP, but would it make a difference if the statement was "I have thought of ways to be more aware of the Earth..."?;)
Perhaps expectations do figure prominently in such an endeavor. But, as one who has done this sort of thing, I do find that my experience of being open and aware in different environments can be strikingly different than in my more frequent abodes. Does it matter whether it is because of the nature of the place, or the nature of my expectations?:rolleyes:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I suspect you're being a tad facetious here, and I suspect you know what s/he meant. Aside from folks whose vocations are tied directly to the land, your typical first world citizen is very disconnected from the non-human world. We don't think about those relationships, and that is part of why we have such a dysfunctional one with the non-human world. To get food, we don't cultivate it with our own two hands and then pull it out of the garden, we drive to a store and purchase it... and that food came from hundreds and possibly thousands of miles away. It's the same with most other products we consume. Most people can barely name much of their local flora and fauna, never mind the geologic history of their area. Few, aside from weirdoes like us Neopagans, deliberately cultivate a lifestyle that makes us mindful of the land/nature spirits/gods in a given area.

Baladas

An Págánach

I just returned from a week-long camping trip to the forest (I live in a desert). I spent a good deal of time meditating and connecting with Nature.
It was very refreshing and centering. Traveling the world is a driving desire of mine, and there are still so many places that I want to see and connect with.

Theweirdtophat

I wonder: why would you want to connect with the land rather than the heaven?

Well I don't really find one realm more sacred than the other as I think both the physical and spiritual world are important. But I don't see why I wouldn't want to connect with it anyway. I live on the land after all.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Well I don't really find one realm more sacred than the other as I think both the physical and spiritual world are important. But I don't see why I wouldn't want to connect with it anyway. I live on the land after all.
To rise above your current self. To leave better than you were when you came.
I guess these concepts don't express themselves in the same way in your belief system.

Theweirdtophat

To rise above your current self. To leave better than you were when you came.
I guess these concepts don't express themselves in the same way in your belief system.

Not really. It's just how I view things as I don't favor one realm over the other and only focus on that. I have a purpose living on this Earth and I should connect with the physical world as well as the spiritual world. I personally feel if I just connect with one or the other, I feel incomplete.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sounded nice, but the mosquitos got too bad.