• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A virus and a fever

Suave

Simulated character
When we get a virus our body produces a fever to try to kill the virus off with heat.

We are a virus to earth. Earth is getting a fever.

London, England recorded 40 degrees Celsius today, just as hot as London, Texas where the temperature reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit! Shame on those of you with big carbon footprints! Because Carbon polluters don't drive an E,V. like me whose home power grid is generated by nuclear power, some nice elderly Lomdoners without air conditioning might die of heat strokes!

England-Heatwave-Credit-Met-Office.png

current-temperature.png

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Texas where the temperature reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit!

FYI, I live in North Texas, and right now it's 111 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and my area is under an excessive heat warning. In fact, 100 degrees or more has been the norm for a couple of months now. The weather has been extremely hot and humid where I live.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
FYI, I live in North Texas, and right now it's 111 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and my area is under an excessive heat warning. In fact, 100 degrees or more has been the norm for a couple of months now. The weather has been extremely hot and humid where I live.
While not as bad as Texas, even in NY there are ongoing heat advisorys.

Suave

Simulated character

I hope there are not any rolling blackouts there, because Texans might die in such extreme heat without air conditioning!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You Canadians are fortunate the air temperature there never exceeds body temperature.
That's a nice thought. However, in the province of British Columbia, the record high temperature was 121C, while the low was -74C. My province of Ontario has had it easier, with a record high of only 108C, and low of -73C

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
When we get a virus our body produces a fever to try to kill the virus off with heat.

I don't disagree necessarily. Here is a thought:

Sometimes Earth kills everything just for a laugh, but I think that Earth finds us cute just like we find our murderous pet cats and birds to be cute. It also probably likes to tease us with tornadoes and lightning storms and tidal waves. For the majority of human existence we have been plagued by tiny biting demons called fleas, lice, ticks etc. Its been hell for us on Earth until very recently. So maybe Earth is worried that we are starting to seem too boring and wants to get rid of us for that reason.

I try to see this from Earth's perspective: Earth has made some very vicious and evil creatures; and so it must find some entertainment in killing things. If it is killing us off it is probably just for fun, and it is probably extra fun that we are a species that feels guilty about its own extinction.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I hope there are not any rolling blackouts there, because Texans might die in such extreme heat without air conditioning!

So far, so good. I don't expect a power outage where I live because the city managed to keep the power on when we had that massive freeze last winter. My family and I have been conserving as much energy as we can to help the city keep the power on.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a nice thought. However, in the province of British Columbia, the record high temperature was 121C, while the low was -74C. My province of Ontario has had it easier, with a record high of only 108C, and low of -73C

Um, 121C is well above the boiling point of water. Did you mean 121F?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's hot as it usually is this time of year in my area (southern Arizona). But this is also the time of our summer rains, and that's been a complete dud thus far.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Um, 121C is well above the boiling point of water. Did you mean 121F?
Of course I did! So, you can either decide it was one of those age mistakes, or vilify me for abysmal ignorance -- and you'd be well within your rights either way. :p

For myself, I'm going to call it "late-onset dyslexia."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course I did! So, you can either decide it was one of those age mistakes, or vilify me for abysmal ignorance -- and you'd be well within your rights either way. :p

For myself, I'm going to call it "late-onset dyslexia."

I always remember 0C is the melting point of ice, 100C is the boiling point of water, and -40C is the same as -40F.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I always remember 0C is the melting point of ice, 100C is the boiling point of water, and -40C is the same as -40F.
I know those....I'm a Canuck, and have lived only metric system for several decades now. Tragically, I'm also an old Canuck. I'm sure I'm down at least several billion neurons by now. :oops:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I know those....I'm a Canuck, and have lived only metric system for several decades now. Tragically, I'm also an old Canuck. I'm sure I'm down at least several billion neurons by now. :oops:
A few billion are not going to make any difference. You had 86 billion, you are still good. :)
Every one has about that many. Some do not make good use of it.

Brian2

Veteran Member

You would think that all this extra heat would have those opposed to strong climate action, jumping up and down and demanding more action. I haven't see that yet however.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Fair enough. I learned old system, but needed metric for the sciences. I'm not as fluent as I would like to be (darn US educational system), but I manage.