• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "virtually unhackable" internet?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Using quantum mechanics, would this mean instantaneous data transmission?

Instant, secure ‘teleportation’ of data in the works

Apparently so.
The comments are based in some things said in 2015, and they also are incorrectly explaining how quantum tech is used to secure network connections. Its true that some people were hoping to use it for instantaneous communication, and ... maybe that hope has increased; however the main hope for securing the internet lies in using quantum computing to run faster and stronger encryption algorithms.

'Beaming' information while remotely possible is an idea full of problems. The main problem is that the result is a probability. You don't know for sure what has happened at end B unless you call end A on the telephone. The article admits that 91% fidelity is considered high for entangling 1 atom. That probably drops as you increase the number of bits if information.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
@Nakosis I forgot to mention. Another quantum trick is to detect when a photon has been intercepted and duplicated, and that is another quantum technology for securing networks. If they do it right they can guarantee that nobody has observed a photon between two points within a fiber optic cable, so that adds security. That could also be what will make the net unhackable.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well, this sounds interesting. A virtually unhackable internet. I guess this may frustrate hackers everywhere.

challenge-accepted-meme.jpg

The technology only guarantees that you'll know if someone has listened on the line from the quantum generator to the destination. That will make man-in-middle attacks on transactions much harder. But if you simply want to listen and don't care if that is detected, nothing changes.