• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "virtually unhackable" internet?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
https://phys.org/news/2020-07-quantum-loop-unveils-blueprint-virtually.html

US officials and scientists have begun laying the groundwork for a more secure "virtually unhackable" internet based on quantum computing technology.

At a presentation Thursday, Department of Energy (DOE) officials issued a report that lays out a blueprint strategy for the development of a national quantum internet, using laws of quantum mechanics to transmit information more securely than on existing networks.

The agency is working with universities and industry researchers on the engineering for the initiative with the aim of creating a prototype within a decade.

In February, scientists from DOE's Argonne National Laboratory and the University of Chicago created a 52-mile (83-kilometer) "quantum loop" in the Chicago suburbs, establishing one of the longest land-based quantum networks in the nation.

The aim is to create a parallel, more secure network based on quantum "entanglement," or the transmission of sub-atomic particles.

The department said early adopters could include the banking and health services sectors, adding that there would be applications for national security and aircraft communications.

"Eventually, the use of quantum networking technology in mobile phones could have broad impacts on the lives of individuals around the world," the statement added.

The agency's 17 national laboratories will serve as the backbone of the coming quantum internet, which has initial government funding.

"The foundation of quantum networks rests on our ability to precisely synthesize and manipulate matter at the atomic scale, including the control of single photons," said David Awschalom, a professor at the University of Chicago and senior scientist at Argonne National Laboratory.

Well, this sounds interesting. A virtually unhackable internet. I guess this may frustrate hackers everywhere.

f12ddb25-f9e8-4237-bce6-cf214c581141_screenshot.jpg

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, this sounds interesting. A virtually unhackable internet. I guess this may frustrate hackers everywhere.
It could be very important, too. I suppose they're just planning to secure the main trunks?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It could be very important, too. I suppose they're just planning to secure the main trunks?

It would be nice if things could be more secure. I recall a few significant data breaches recently, not to mention all the computer shenanigans related to the electoral process.

And to think there was once a time when the Pony Express was considered the height in communication technology.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Locks merely keep honest people honest and slow down those who are determined to get in.

Well, some locks are harder than others. I imagine Fort Knox would have some pretty powerful locks.

Or maybe this door:

I4s2B2HJWMNb0OC1gWyhvKs9rcvqbqa3-pi39bUSJMyTTarmNk0np_zFqTEl7Uo_R3JLb0j4-Mf6z22yVwqmpDP-u2OZtgalf2zDNbhdt8WGFHhpqLhgl1aHNPMFgnc1EV3SVVGnTfrQ4PKKmdLpbHIrVy32y03PnlNl0MjJfcg

On the other hand, some people might rely on the old dependable method, guard dogs.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Well, some locks are harder than others. I imagine Fort Knox would have some pretty powerful locks.

Or maybe this door:

I4s2B2HJWMNb0OC1gWyhvKs9rcvqbqa3-pi39bUSJMyTTarmNk0np_zFqTEl7Uo_R3JLb0j4-Mf6z22yVwqmpDP-u2OZtgalf2zDNbhdt8WGFHhpqLhgl1aHNPMFgnc1EV3SVVGnTfrQ4PKKmdLpbHIrVy32y03PnlNl0MjJfcg

On the other hand, some people might rely on the old dependable method, guard dogs.
The harder the lock, the thicker the door, etc. merely make it take longer to get through.
The trick (for lack of a better word) is to get a lock, and or door thickness is that longer to get through than the determination of those who want to get through it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The harder the lock, the thicker the door, etc. merely make it take longer to get through.
The trick (for lack of a better word) is to get a lock, and or door thickness is that longer to get through than the determination of those who want to get through it.

Well, I guess that brings us back to guard dogs. Even a cheap lock with these guys around would thwart most would-be burglars.

Top-10-dog-breeds-for-protection.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sounds like idiots who have no real comprehension or knowledge of the history of security and breaking into something secured.
Build a better internet? Do it. Hackers will build a better bot.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And to think there was once a time when the Pony Express was considered the height in communication technology.
I heard about the Pony Express......
it lasted one year

too many horses died
seems the animal will run til it's heart stops
it will then crash to the ground with you on top

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well, I guess that brings us back to guard dogs. Even a cheap lock with these guys around would thwart most would-be burglars.

Top-10-dog-breeds-for-protection.jpg
I've had a 'discussion' with a Doberman

dog lost

btw....the one on the left is the one to look out for

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if you take the chip into your flesh....(it's coming)

you can be hacked

and it can be made to look as if you were there at the scene of the crime