1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A very sad day.

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Shadow Wolf, May 25, 2011.

1. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Living Dead Girl

Religion:
    Ask me when I'm dead.
    Well, we in Indiana have just been stripped of our fourth amendment right, and our state Supreme Court ruled we do not have the right to resist unlawful entry and arrest.
    Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home
    There are protest going on today, and hopefully this vile act is struck down.

2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Atheist Capitalist Engineer Libertarian

You have the right to call one of the violator's cop friends to complain about his buddy.

3. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Living Dead Girl

Religion:
    Ask me when I'm dead.
    That doesn't have a good history here.
    Charges Reduced Against Drunk Cop : Dispatches from the Culture Wars
    You can call, but they will cover each others backs.

4. Revoltingest

Yer such a cynic! Cops would never cover up each others' crimes.

5. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Well-Known Member

Law enforcement always seems to be rife with corruption and misconduct, and society looks the other way and worships them as heroes.

6. Engyo

Engyo Prince of Dorkness!

I'd guess that the percentage of cops who are either corrupt or misuse their authority isn't a whole lot greater than in the population as a whole, but I don't know how one could test or verify that guess.

7. angellous_evangellous

angellous_evangellous Pater Familias Staff Member Premium Member

That flat doesn't make sense.

Any evidence obtained illegally is inadmissible.

8. fallingblood

fallingblood Agnostic Theist

The state could always make a federal case about it. Federal law supersedes state law, thus it is still illegal to unlawfully enter in a home. It may be a state law; however, it really has little backing it since federal law forbids the act.

Thus, is someone would enter into your home unlawfully, you could make a federal case against it, and it would pretty much be a clear cut case.

9. angellous_evangellous

If they can wipe the cop off the wall.

10. Revoltingest

But legally planted evidence is admissible.

The feds don't care about such trifles.

11. angellous_evangellous

*frubals*

12. Seyorni

Seyorni Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    We used to have some redress from government intrusions on privacy and erosion of civil rights. The courts used to rule against the police and FBI. Papers used to report government excess.
    Recently, however, government does as it wills, courts support them and the "fourth estate" ignores it --a perfect storm.

Can you spell: p-o-l-i-c-e s-t-a-t-e?

13. Darkness

Darkness Psychoanalyst/Marxist

We need a healthy balance between the right to privacy on our private property and safety concerns. For instance, if suspicious cries are heard, such as the possibility of child or spousal abuse, the police should not need a warrant. However, if that is not the case, the police should be required to first seek a warrant.

Can you spell h-y-p-e-r-b-o-l-e?

14. Revoltingest

Sounds good to me.

Yes...I can now.

An article of interest....
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/05/25/2011-05-25_cops_fixed_summonses_for_arod.html

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  15. Seyorni

Seyorni Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Where such a "healthy balance" lies is the issue. Americans seem to be afraid of their own shadows. To compensate they militarise, In militarising they antagonise and threaten.
    They create the very threats they fear.

16. Amill

Amill Apikoros

So now they can basically just make one broad law stating that it's illegal to resist a police officer anywhere at anytime no matter what they are doing. Nice.

And the article said something about reducing violence in these entry situations. I really doubt anything is going to change. I mean physically resisting an officer's entry made you likely to be arrested even before it was officially made "illegal". What makes them think the violence will now decrease?

Before law:
    Officers attempt to enter home, use stun gun on the resister then arrests them.
    After new law:
    Officers attempt to enter home, use stun gun on the resister then arrests them.

17. Darkness

Darkness Psychoanalyst/Marxist

I do not even like A-Rod. I can see for Jeter or Mariano. ;)

Defense outlays in the United States are quite low for our history. Most of the expansion is due to growing productivity (i.e. an expanding economy) that allows are military to maintain parity with the value of the economy.

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted