• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A verse in the Qur'an about a possible good outcome for people from all religions

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Nay, but whosoever surrendereth his purpose to Alláh while doing good, his reward is with his Lord; and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.
Muḥammad ibn ‘Abdu’lláh, "The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’án", 2:112

But they who set their face with resignation Godward, and do what is right, — their reward is with their Lord; no fear shall come on them, neither shall they be grieved.
Muhammad, "The Qur'an", 2.108

112. Nay, — whoever submits His whole self to God And is a doer of good, He will get his reward With his Lord; On such shall be no fear, Nor shall they grieve.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 2.112

What do you all think about this verse from the Qur'an? Does it apply to people of all religions who surrenders his purpose or will to God, and does good deeds? What does it mean when it says of them will be no fear, and they will not grieve? Are all people of all religions equal in their reward from God?

danieldemol

Premium Member
What do you all think about this verse from the Qur'an? Does it apply to people of all religions who surrenders his purpose or will to God, and does good deeds? What does it mean when it says of them will be no fear, and they will not grieve? Are all people of all religions equal in their reward from God?
Well not all religions believe in submission to Allah (ie Islam), so I think it is pretty clear it doesn't apply to all religions. Take Buddhism for instance, Buddhists do good deeds but not to submit to Allah.

Consider the surrounding passages such as 2:108-109 (from YusufAli)
'Would ye question your Apostle as Moses was questioned of old? But whoever changeth from faith to unbelief hath strayed without doubt from the even way.

Quite a number of the people of the Book wish they could turn you (people) back to infidelity after ye have believed'

So in context it seems to be saying that even those who believe in Judaism and Christianity are astray and not submitting their whole selves to Allah if they question Muhammad.

I think it is a post-hoc rationalisation to read it as religious pluralism, but if reading it that way helps you to be a more plural person I'm not opposed to it even though I doubt it was meant that way.

In my opinion.

Edit: for reference: Surah 2. Al-Baqara Translation by Yusuf Ali | Islamic Reference | Alim

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Does it apply to people of all religions who surrenders his purpose or will to God, and does good deeds?
Yes

What does it mean when it says of them will be no fear, and they will not grieve?
IF you fully submit THEN it implies no fear, no grief

Are all people of all religions equal in their reward from God?
IF they think, speak and act equal THEN I expect so

God does not discriminate people on Religion
Only humans (not all) have such habits

Note: Assuming that God is rewarding and just

Last edited:

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Nay, but whosoever surrendereth his purpose to Alláh while doing good, his reward is with his Lord; and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.
Muḥammad ibn ‘Abdu’lláh, "The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’án", 2:112

But they who set their face with resignation Godward, and do what is right, — their reward is with their Lord; no fear shall come on them, neither shall they be grieved.
Muhammad, "The Qur'an", 2.108

112. Nay, — whoever submits His whole self to God And is a doer of good, He will get his reward With his Lord; On such shall be no fear, Nor shall they grieve.
Muhammad , "The Holy Qur-an", 2.112

Fundamental elements of Islam are the acceptance of Muhammad as god's final messenger, and that the Quran is the final message, performing hajj, and five daily prayers.
If you don't do these, you are not "fully submitting to god", according to Islam.

These passages are essentially tautological. If you are "fully submitting to god" you are necessarily "doing good".

Truthseeker

Take Buddhism for instance, Buddhists do good deeds but not to submit to Allah.
True. That verse does not imply that for Buddhists.
So in context it seems to be saying that even those who believe in Judaism and Christianity are astray and not submitting their whole selves to Allah if they question Muhammad.
There's something to that. Consider this verse also:

Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muḥammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans—whoever believeth in Alláh and the Last Day and doeth right—surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.
Muḥammad ibn ‘Abdu’lláh, "The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’án", 2:62

I agree they are not submitting their whole selves but they have some reward, though it is lesser.

Last edited:

Truthseeker

@danieldemol pointed out these verses:
'Would ye question your Apostle as Moses was questioned of old? But whoever changeth from faith to unbelief hath strayed without doubt from the even way.

Quite a number of the people of the Book wish they could turn you (people) back to infidelity after ye have believed'

As I believe in the Qur'an, the Jews and Christians are not rewarded equally, but they have some reward.

stvdv

Only humans (not all) have such habits

Note: Assuming that God is rewarding and just

danieldemol pointed out these verses:
This verse states a fact, no discrimination as in those are bad

This talks about those who wish to proselytize (violate RF Rule #8, the part that says we should not try to discourage them in their (non) Faith).

As I believe in the Qur'an, the Jews and Christians are not rewarded equally, but they have some reward
Not what I read in it. It only says that people of the Book violate RF Rule#8

And the quote prior to that just says that "whoever changes from faith to unbelief stray without doubt from the even way". So, it's about "everyone with faith" who changes to unbelief. Not about Christians and Jews (at least in this verse). Also here it doesn't say unbelief is bad. Focus here is on "changing" not on unbelief

And the word "even" way does not necessarily mean bad, inferior. It might just mean "easier to travel". I think it just means that, because "change" is keyword, and change is hard on people, esp. change Religion

Truthseeker

This verse states a fact, no discrimination as in those are bad

This talks about those who wish to proselytize (violate RF Rule #8, the part that says we should not try to discourage them in their (non) Faith).

Not what I read in it. It only says that people of the Book violate RF Rule#8

And the quote prior to that just says that "whoever changes from faith to unbelief stray without doubt from the even way". So, it's about "everyone with faith" who changes to unbelief. Not about Christians and Jews (at least in this verse). Also here it doesn't say unbelief is bad. Focus here is on "changing" not on unbelief

And the word "even" way does not necessarily mean bad, inferior. It might just mean "easier to travel". I think it just means that, because "change" is keyword, and change is hard on people, esp. change Religion
I guess I was too hasty to agree with him about these verses. Mia culpa. Unbelief though is bad in my view. To me, God sees us through the lens of both faith and deeds.

The first duty prescribed by God for His servants is
the recognition of Him Who is the Dayspring of
His Revelation and the Fountain of His laws, Who
representeth the Godhead in both the Kingdom of His
Cause and the world of creation. Whoso achieveth this
duty hath attained unto all good; and whoso is deprived
thereof hath gone astray, though he be the author of
every righteous deed. It behoveth every one who
reacheth this most sublime station, this summit of
transcendent glory, to observe every ordinance of Him
Who is the Desire of the world. These twin duties are
inseparable. Neither is acceptable without the other.
Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the Source of
Divine inspiration.
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 17)

stvdv

Unbelief though is bad in my view.
It is human tendency to see good and bad (esp. when it come to (non) faith of others). But isn't that what Scriptures exhorts us to overcome?

Anyway in another verse Allah clearly states something like who do you think you are to judge others on leaving their Path, while it is I that willed it that way?

So, we can pick any verse that suits us best, it all depends on our own pov at that moment what we choose. Gradually we understand better and see differently and even change our pov, just as the other does. That's part of evolution. In that context I hope Allah changes Putin's pov, rather yesterday than tomorrow...but Allah knows best, right?

stvdv

The first duty prescribed by God for His servants is
the recognition of Him Who is the Dayspring of
His Revelation and the Fountain of His laws, Who
representeth the Godhead in both the Kingdom of His
Cause and the world of creation
Do you also notice this just states facts? There is no condemnation whatsover, no judgment, right?

Humans have a tendency to read more into it, and immediately start adding "so it is wrong if you....".

stvdv

Whoso achieveth this duty hath attained unto all good; and whoso is deprived thereof hath gone astray, though he be the author of every righteous deed
1) Again no judgment...good vs bad...just stating facts
2) Do you notice the word "deprived". Key word...no judgment
3) "he" here is "He" I think, right?

stvdv

It behoveth every one who reacheth this most sublime station, this summit of transcendent glory, to observe every ordinance of Him Who is the Desire of the world
1) Again no mention of good vs bad, just advice
2) Again notice the word "behoveth" this time...crucial
3) Again, it is only God who does every act in this world

stvdv

. These twin duties are
inseparable. Neither is acceptable without the other.
Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the Source of
Divine inspiration.
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 17)
Again no judgment, as in good vs bad
Just stating facts, and for our own good for that matter

stvdv

He does love all of us. In the end, all but a few reach the ultimate goal.
Very important to remember both:
The first stops us from using the twin words "good vs bad"
The second exhorts us to to work harder ourselves and work less hard judging others

danieldemol

Premium Member
True. That verse does not imply that for Buddhists.

There's something to that. Consider this verse also:

Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muḥammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans—whoever believeth in Alláh and the Last Day and doeth right—surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.
Muḥammad ibn ‘Abdu’lláh, "The Meaning of the Glorious Qur’án", 2:62

I agree they are not submitting their whole selves but they have some reward, though it is lesser.
I still think you are decontextualising to get what you think it is saying.

I would say the best way to understand what Muhammad is trying to get across is to read the entire Surah from start to finish rather than reading only one or two verses.

I consider verse 62 to be the religious equivalent of a dog whistle. To those who hear it in isolation from the other verses it leaves them with the impression that Muhammad is tolerant, but to those who understand what He meant by it it appears He meant that only those who sincerely believe in the Torah and the Gospel etc and the last day, with the measure of that sincerity being their acceptance of Muhammad as Messenger of Allah.

Consider the same Surah 2:88-89, this section is a polemic against the Jews for their rejection of Muhammad;

'They say "Our hearts are the wrappings (which preserve Allah's word we need no more)." Nay Allah's curse is on them for their blasphemy; little is it they believe.

And when there comes to them a Book from Allah confirming what is with them although from of old they had prayed for victory against those without faith when there comes to them that which they (should) have recognized they refused to believe in it; but the curse of Allah is on those without Faith.'

In case you are still thinking there is room for those Jews who don't join Islam to have some reward mixed in with their curse verse 90 re-affirms, 'thus have they drawn on themselves wrath upon wrath. And humiliating is the punishment of those who reject Faith.'

Indeed I would have to say that if your interpretation of verse 62 is correct then Muhammad was guilty of speaking out of both sides of His mouth. For the bulk of Surah 2 appears to be a polemic against those who reject Islam.

In my opinion.

Last edited: