• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Three Billion Year Old Noah

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Up till now, the science I'd read supported the conclusion that there was never a time in earth's history when all of the land was submerged.

This report in Science Daily presents evidence that in fact the whole earth was submerged some 3.2 billion years ago. The question can't be regarded as settled, but the possibility is interesting.

Were there aerobic microbes who built, or formed, a large raft and stocked it with viable colonies of other aerobic kinds of the day?

Do microbes have ancestral memories? Can those memories be transferred to humans, so that these truly ancient heroes are the foundation of the Flood stories?

Well, no, there weren't and they don't and they can't and there isn't.

Still, it's curious that there may have been a real Great Flood, however far back.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Up till now, the science I'd read supported the conclusion that there was never a time in earth's history when all of the land was submerged.

This report in Science Daily presents evidence that in fact the whole earth was submerged some 3.2 billion years ago. The question can't be regarded as settled, but the possibility is interesting.

Were there aerobic microbes who built, or formed, a large raft and stocked it with viable colonies of other aerobic kinds of the day?

Do microbes have ancestral memories? Can those memories be transferred to humans, so that these truly ancient heroes are the foundation of the Flood stories?

Well, no, there weren't and they don't and they can't and there isn't.

Still, it's curious that there may have been a real Great Flood, however far back.
Why would you call the immersion of the earth a flood? A flood is where dry land becomes covered, but I assume one would not call the land under the Pacific Ocean flooded as according to my knowledge it was not known to be dry beforehand.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There was (or still is) a theory that the Earth was once fully covered in ice - not water?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would you call the immersion of the earth a flood? A flood is where dry land becomes covered, but I assume one would not call the land under the Pacific Ocean flooded as according to my knowledge it was not known to be dry beforehand.
I take your point, but I'd defend the remark by noting that in this scenario the dry part of the earth can correctly be said to be flooded.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There was (or still is) a theory that the Earth was once fully covered in ice - not water?
In ordinary language, I'd say 'covered with ice' is not the same as 'flooded'. I cite the inside of my freezer as an example, at least while it's working.

But the idea of aerobic bacteria 3 billion years ago is meant to be part of the jocularity of the 'Noah' paragraphs. On present evidence, our atmosphere wasn't oxygenated till 2.4 bn years ago, so the distinction couldn't exist till much later.