• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A thought on Converts

rosends

Warning -- early morning thoughts...always dangerous.

Another thread asked "where did your belief come from" and, if I'm being honest, the answer is from my parents, my schooling, my community and my socialization. I'm me because of everything that came before me. Note that word "because" -- it will be important in a second.

I was thinking about how (male) converts take a Hebrew name as "ben Avraham" when they convert. And I wondered, in what sense are they the sons of Abe? If they become Jews, then maybe they are sons of Jacob, or Moses. If this is about getting circumcised, maybe they are sons of Yitzchak.

Why Abraham.

The thing I learned about Avraham is that he wasn't the first monotheist, or even the first monotheist with an awareness of God/Hashem as we understand the idea of the divine. He was the first to come up with that idea on his own, without having a personal interction with the divine (like Noach) or even having contact with someone who had a first person contact with the divine (like Shem). I'd have to check my timeline, but if the medrash is true, then even if their lifespans overlapped, Avraham probably didn't hang out with Noach before the age of 3 (when one version of teh events has him come to his monotheistic revelation).

Avraham, surrounded by non-monotheists came to his understanding not because of his upbraning, but despite it -- because he was driven by some force to connect. In a similar sense a convert is often someone who is brought up NOT in a Jewish system/environment, but finds that path on his own. (yes, there are exceptions, like a child who is raised from infancy by Jews, or people who find out that they are not Jewish after having lived as Jews since childhood and "re"convert, but I'm talking in a more generic sense)

So to celebrate a special membership, not just in the family of "Jew" but the even more select group of "those who came to it on their own" converts get to associate with the progenitor not of Judaism per se, but of self-driven adherence to an idea of God DESPITE, not because, of their surroundings, and that's pretty awesome.

Just a thought -- no doubt, a theory with holes large enough to drive a bus, but something off the top of my head early on Friday morning.

Yes, this leaves the problem of "Ben Sarah" for women because I don't know the medrashim about her source of religious inspiration, and I don;t know if anyone has ever come up with anything like this but I had to set down what popped into my head. So there.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
fair point and I won't edit the original to correct my error. I will let it stand as a monument to the dangers of typing early in the morning. Nice catch though.
Your post is very interesting tho and it's a good point.

rosends

Your post is very interesting tho and it's a good point.
I am humbled and appreciate your feelings. My rebbe once taught that we are to hold converts in higher esteem than other Jews because, while all Jews are included in "v'ahavat l'rei'echa kamocha" there is an additional commandment, "v'ahavtem et hageir". I think we forget that someone who chose this lifestyle eyes open is pretty incredible and those who have investigated and found monotheism and accepted the bnei noach status have also outstripped those of us who are simply born into belief.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Thank you for this, rosends. I like your reasoning more that the automatic adoption response my rabbi gave.

Sometimes I wonder why we don't take the name the of the community we're converting in, as that really is the "family" we're joining.

Ehav4Ever

I was thinking about how (male) converts take a Hebrew name as "ben Avraham" when they convert. And I wondered, in what sense are they the sons of Abe? If they become Jews, then maybe they are sons of Jacob, or Moses. If this is about getting circumcised, maybe they are sons of Yitzchak.

Why Abraham.

Several reasons:
  1. Avraham was the first to do outreach, in Ur Hasdim and Haran, for the mission that Hashem gave him for building in Kanaan.
    • Noach, Shem, and Ever didn't do outreach. If someone happened upon them then so be it.
    • In Haran, Avraham converted the men the Sarah did the women.
  2. The brachah that Yittzhhaq had, that Ya'aqov wanted, and Esav really didn't want was to do the work of Avraham.
    • Ya'aqov was ready and willing to do the work. Esav was not.
  3. When the Egyptian enslavement took place the only tribe to keep the 7 mitzvoth and Brith Milah were the tribe of Lewi.
    • Before the first Pesahh the males of the other tribes had to get circumcised.
    • According to the Rambam, essentially the steps from Pesahh to accepting the Torah at Mount Sinai was a conversion. i.e. all of Am Yisrael converted to the Torah that was promised to Avraham that his descendens would receive. (The Birth Milah before Pesahh, the tevilah before Matan Torah, acceptance of the Torah, and Qorbonoth to seal the deal.
I.e. Avraham is the singularity for all of this and thus a Geir of all types is taking up the mission of Avraham Avinu.