• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Terrifying NDE

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
True. NDE's mostly are nice and enjoyable, but some have reported bad experiences.
IMHO, NDE's are a necessary step before death. I do not know what kind of NDE will I face.
Sometimes one can mold a dream in one's way. Will I have any control over my NDE? :D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
True. NDE's mostly are nice and enjoyable, but some have reported bad experiences.
IMHO, NDE's are a necessary step before death. I do not know what kind of NDE will I face.
Sometimes one can mold a dream in one's way. Will I have any control over my NDE? :D

I've wondered that myself. Like if one has built/visualized a mental grove of trees that they regularly go to during meditation. Could that be used as a gateway and dream into the otherworld, as one passes through the stages of death.

Viker

Häxan
My NDE was nothingness. Maybe that is because there is nothing I want from after I die, anything like that I have here and now. And there is nothing I fear beyond that point.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

so generally a person who has a NDE perceives what they believe in respect to life ongoing. so a christian would receive sort of an expected christian experience, a hindu a hindu experience, a dark person would receive a macabre experience, etc. i have read that some atheists have experienced no thingness, or an emptiness of sorts; which means there was nothing but a dusk/twilight, or something with not contrast to it.

so it kinds of lend itself to the idea that we create our future by what we expect from it. in other words, it's a reflection of self

Near-Death Experiences (NDEs) - Division of Perceptual Studies

An Analysis of the Near-Death Experiences of Atheists - Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife

Peter Sjöstedt-H

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I see no reason to insist that NDEs are anything other than the manifestation of physiological disfunction. Furthermore, the only thing "interfaith" about it might be observations regarding the extent to which one can map NDE similarities or dissimilarities across faith groups.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My dad told me his experience with NDEs. He was mugged and left for dead with a broken skull. In a coma for 6 weeks qnd actually died 3 times. Thanks to the medical staff he was brought back from death.

To this day, although very grateful for the medical expertise he received, he is absolutely certain he is only alive because god is a lousy poker player.

He has only recently told me of the really scary one because it was my fault and he didn't want to hurt me. I had a tee shirt with a huge lion head emblasoned across the front. I wore it once when visiting him. One of the NDSs he had was a lion attacking him. He says no more, even a couple of weeks ago, 10 years after his scrapes with death i could see fear in his eyes when he told me.

Clara Tea

so generally a person who has a NDE perceives what they believe in respect to life ongoing. so a christian would receive sort of an expected christian experience, a hindu a hindu experience, a dark person would receive a macabre experience, etc. i have read that some atheists have experienced no thingness, or an emptiness of sorts; which means there was nothing but a dusk/twilight, or something with not contrast to it.

so it kinds of lend itself to the idea that we create our future by what we expect from it. in other words, it's a reflection of self

Near-Death Experiences (NDEs) - Division of Perceptual Studies

An Analysis of the Near-Death Experiences of Atheists - Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife

Peter Sjöstedt-H

My NDE might be waking up to President W. Bush and the Religious Right. I'd scream because I made it to hell, not heaven. It is a place of:

1. Perpetual wars for peace to fight evil (killing millions, injuring far more, and making people suffer without utilities or food).

2. NRA (National Rifle Association. . . everyone shooting everyone).

3. Greed motivated pollution and Global Warming (denied, of course).

4. Homelessness, starvation, poverty (of the middle class. . . forced to pay for the rich with the promise of trickle down).

5. Torture camps

6. Government hacks emails, listen to private phone calls.

7. Patriot Act (arrested without cause, held indefinitely, no access to an attorney, search and seize anything without a warrant).

8. Bigotry (lying about helping minorities while cutting affirmative action).

Clara Tea

My dad told me his experience with NDEs. He was mugged and left for dead with a broken skull. In a coma for 6 weeks qnd actually died 3 times. Thanks to the medical staff he was brought back from death.

To this day, although very grateful for the medical expertise he received, he is absolutely certain he is only alive because god is a lousy poker player.

He has only recently told me of the really scary one because it was my fault and he didn't want to hurt me. I had a tee shirt with a huge lion head emblasoned across the front. I wore it once when visiting him. One of the NDSs he had was a lion attacking him. He says no more, even a couple of weeks ago, 10 years after his scrapes with death i could see fear in his eyes when he told me.

Kids go through a nightmare phase to form a "fight or flight" response in their brains. When a real emergency happens, this response takes over to save them.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Did you find the book substantive and worth reading? Also, could you clarify what you hoped to explore by placing this thread in Interfaith Discussion?

I found the article informative. And any person who has had an NDE good or bad, is now free to discuss it.

The other thread was Baha'i specific.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Also, could you clarify what you hoped to explore by placing this thread in Interfaith Discussion?

For instance the NDE I had, was an absolute nightmare. But it was also a wonderful catalyst when it was all said and done to reanalyze the way I lived my life, and make adjustments accordingly; so that I was living more in line with my values.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you find the book substantive and worth reading? Also, could you clarify what you hoped to explore by placing this thread in Interfaith Discussion?

Most likely it was a negative response to this post put in the Baha'i DIR, as it was posted soon after. One of the first answers to the OP picked up on the intent.

An Amazing NDE

Maybe they think their intent goes unnoticed?

Regards Tony