• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Student at My University Has Passed Away

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Today I read the news of the passing of a fellow student at my university. He was in the second year. He died of lung cancer.

Not long before his passing, he made a Facebook post saying he would no longer hide the fact that he had cancer from anyone and then asked for prayers, saying that he really needed them.

Rest in peace, Mohamed. May your family and friends find solace and comfort.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I am sorry to hear that. Are diseases such as cancer hidden and not discussed in your country?

Within my lifetime in the US, cancer (and many other diseases and conditions) have gone from something people were ashamed of and tried to hide, to people acknowledging, the stigma being greatly reduced in many cases, and people willing to talk about and understand...especially when it turns out that most everyone, at some point in their life, knows someone or has a relative who is sick and/or dies.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I am sorry to hear that. Are diseases such as cancer hidden and not discussed in your country?

Within my lifetime in the US, cancer (and many other diseases and conditions) have gone from something people were ashamed of and tried to hide, to people acknowledging, the stigma being greatly reduced in many cases, and people willing to talk about and understand...especially when it turns out that most everyone, at some point in their life, knows someone or has a relative who is sick and/or dies.

Sorry for the late reply; I composed a reply and thought I had already posted it.

It depends on the individual, mostly. A lot of people aren't open about having such diseases because they consider it personal, for example, which can be for a variety of personal reasons. I don't know why the student I mentioned hid the fact that he had cancer until shortly before his death, though; I don't want to conclude anything because I didn't really know him closely.