• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A split thread: Joseph Smith

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
The Spanish and such were well acquainted with the idea.
That is very interesting. I know of several Spanish books, published well after the Book of Mormon, that were written well before The Book of Mormon, that substantiate casual bits of The Book of Mormon's historical data. Before publication, these were in private libraries. To my knowledge, neither Joseph Smith nor any of his close associates spoke Spanish, nor were archeologists, nor knew anything about the Mayans. When the first book was published some four years later, it appears to have been a revelation to everyone, and strong support for the Book of Mormon. It led the prophet Joseph Smith to say that it was there that the Book of Mormon took place.
I was reading about how the Maya, apparently independently, developed hydraulic cement in the same time period as the Romans. It compared favorably to Portland Cement. I doubt the Jesuits knew exactly when the Maya, or Aztecs learned the skill of the manufacture of cement, so I think it is still relevant that Joseph Smith did. I certainly know that one of the great criticisms against the Book of Mormon was this idea that the natives knew about cement. Perhaps that was just English backwoods naivete; are there any English scientific journals of the day that discuss it?

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
It also said that he came from a family of people who saw visions of god
I remember reading about a dream that Joseph's father had, but to my knowledge neither his father or mother had ever had a vision.
When did he really start getting several visions?
I guess that kind of depends on what constitutes a vision. Is it a vision, when an angel is physically in the room, or is it only a vision if he isn't physically in the room? Were God and Jesus physically before Joseph Smith, or was it more like television, where we see things here that are actually afar off? Moroni physically carried the Book of Mormon, when Joseph Smith returned the book, but it occurs to me that the initial meeting might have been more of a "vision", where the actual person isn't physically in the room. When Moroni first appeared to Joseph Smith, he appeared three times, and a forth time the following day. Each time he appeared, he repeated, apparently verbatim, those things he said previously, and each time he also added a little more. The visions took the entire night. He showed Joseph Smith in vision the place where the plates were buried, and Joseph immediately (the next day) went to the spot and dug up the capstone that covered the stone box. When he tried to retrieve the plates, the angel Moroni appeared to him again, and told him that it wasn't yet time, and that they should meet there every year until the proper time had come. So every year Joseph went to the site, and saw the angel Moroni, for four years. He must have been about 18 at the time, when he actually was allowed to retrieve the record.
Hitler also won Time Magazine's man of the year award.
Why, did Time Magazine live with Hitler for a year?
The point is that first hand substantive sources are better than second hand gossip. It is easy to say where there is smoke, there is fire, but in the case of gossip, there is rarely fire behind the smoke. People seem to take some sort of perverse pleasure in relating, and enlarging, the perceived sins of others. You asked if there might not be some truth to it. I suppose in some cases, depending upon ones point of view, Jesus had committed blasphemy, and deserved to die, even if he was the Son of God. This seems crazy, but some Jews believe that. Joseph Smith's sin is that he successfully challenged the ministers of his day. Sometimes entire congregations converted to Mormonism. It is sad, but not altogether unexpected, to find that a Methodist minister was behind many of the mob actions in Missouri. He inflamed his congregation by telling lies about the Mormons, and they went and burned down the houses of Mormons, stole their food and livestock, and harrassed them, believing the Mormons to be devils. They ignored civil orders which established a zone between the Mormon communities and the other communities, and continued to harass them. There is little surprise that the Mormons took up arms and started defending themselves against this constant onslaught, but this enraged the mob even more. The courts were mostly unsympathetic towards Mormons; they assumed that all Mormons were liars and that all anti-mormons were telling the truth. So the mob could steal with impunity, but if the Mormons stole something back, they were convicted in court of theft. It really wasn't the finest hour in our nation's history.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
There is no evidence that Joseph Smith was ever a con man

I think his death at the hands of a lynch mob speaks volumes. Not one was convicted for killing him.

All of the eye witness testimony was that his gift was genuine.

What eye witnesses?

Your opinion doesn't really fit the known facts

He is correct though.

You haven't proven that Joseph even told one lie, let alone "repeated lies".

Well did he claim Abraham existed? Abraham has zero historicity as ever existing outside literature. Same for Moses.

Abraham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By the beginning of the 21st century, archaeologists had "given up hope of recovering any context that would make Abraham, Isaac or Jacob credible 'historical figures'".

fact that a man named Lehi had an estate in Jerusalem

Sir, that is not a historical fact. He exist in your faith.

the genetic studies confirm the position of the Book of Mormon - that the founding genetic base is Asian. The Jaredites came from Asia, after the tower of Babal, and were not Hebrews.

Which is not true, as the tower of babal has no historicity as written what so ever.

Joseph Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smith's teachings came primarily through his revelations
Today would we not claim this was from his imagination?

Modern historian Fawn Brodie has called the Book of Mormon a response to pressing cultural and environmental issues of Smith's times, saying that Smith composed the Book of Mormon drawing from scraps of information available to him; Dan Vogel, another historian, says that the work is autobiographical in nature

The book also provides an enlarged account of the Genesis creation narrative and expands the story of Enoch, the ancestor of Noah.

Noah has no historicity as ever existing.

However, both the Smithsonian Institution[5] and the National Geographic Society have issued statements that they have seen no evidence to support these claims in the Book of Mormon and no secular archeologist or historian has supported their existence.

Nephites have no historicity at all outside your faith. Not one credible archeologist supports this.

As only Mormons consider the Book of Mormon to have any ancient historical basis, Lamanites are not considered to be a valid category of people by mainstream scholars.

So what credible historians claim and you claim from faith, seem to be two different statements.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
That is very interesting. I know of several Spanish books, published well after the Book of Mormon, that were written well before The Book of Mormon, that substantiate casual bits of The Book of Mormon's historical data. Before publication, these were in private libraries. To my knowledge, neither Joseph Smith nor any of his close associates spoke Spanish, nor were archeologists, nor knew anything about the Mayans. When the first book was published some four years later, it appears to have been a revelation to everyone, and strong support for the Book of Mormon. It led the prophet Joseph Smith to say that it was there that the Book of Mormon took place.
Know how it's "common knowledge" that everyone but Columbus knew the world was flat? Similar thing here. One story is far more interesting to tell than the other. It's also far less complicated.

I was reading about how the Maya, apparently independently, developed hydraulic cement in the same time period as the Romans. It compared favorably to Portland Cement. I doubt the Jesuits knew exactly when the Maya, or Aztecs learned the skill of the manufacture of cement, so I think it is still relevant that Joseph Smith did
But he doesn't state that it was hydraulic cement that the IndigPeople's of South America had. Wouldn't that have been quite the important thing to mention, given how we have just stated that cement alone is not too impressive?

I certainly know that one of the great criticisms against the Book of Mormon was this idea that the natives knew about cement. Perhaps that was just English backwoods naivete; are there any English scientific journals of the day that discuss it?
You're not going to find a lot of English stuff on the South American natives until the late, late 1800s. Before that, Spain was still too powerful and too interested in keeping it to themselves.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I remember reading about a dream that Joseph's father had, but to my knowledge neither his father or mother had ever had a vision.
Interesting. You should look into it.
I guess that kind of depends on what constitutes a vision. Is it a vision, when an angel is physically in the room, or is it only a vision if he isn't physically in the room? Were God and Jesus physically before Joseph Smith, or was it more like television, where we see things here that are actually afar off? Moroni physically carried the Book of Mormon, when Joseph Smith returned the book, but it occurs to me that the initial meeting might have been more of a "vision", where the actual person isn't physically in the room. When Moroni first appeared to Joseph Smith, he appeared three times, and a forth time the following day. He showed Joseph Smith in vision the place where the plates were buried, and Joseph immediately (the next day) went to the spot and dug up the capstone that covered the stone box. When he tried to retrieve the plates, the angel Moroni appeared to him again, and told him that it wasn't yet time, and that they should meet there every year until the proper time had come. So every year Joseph went to the site, and saw the angel Moroni, for four years. He must have been about 18 at the time, when he actually was allowed to retrieve the record.
Another idle question. Can you tell me what age schizophrenia typically begins to manifest?
Why, did Time Magazine live with Hitler for a year?
The point is that first hand substantive sources are better than second hand gossip. It is easy to say where there is smoke, there is fire, but in the case of gossip, there is rarely fire behind the smoke. People seem to take some sort of perverse pleasure in relating, and enlarging, the perceived sins of others. You asked if there might not be some truth to it. I suppose in some cases, depending upon ones point of view, Jesus had committed blasphemy, and deserved to die, even if he was the Son of God. This seems crazy, but some Jews believe that. Joseph Smith's sin is that he successfully challenged the ministers of his day. Sometimes entire congregations converted to Mormonism. It is sad, but not altogether unexpected, to find that a Methodist minister was behind many of the mob actions in Missouri. He inflamed his congregation by telling lies about the Mormons, and they went and burned down the houses of Mormons, stole their food and livestock, and harrassed them, believing the Mormons to be devils. They ignored civil orders which established a zone between the Mormon communities and the other communities, and continued to harass them. There is little surprise that the Mormons took up arms and started defending themselves against this constant onslaught, but this enraged the mob even more. The courts were mostly unsympathetic towards Mormons; they assumed that all Mormons were liars and that all anti-mormons were telling the truth. So the mob could steal with impunity, but if the Mormons stole something back, they were convicted in court of theft. It really wasn't the finest hour in our nation's history.
So we should trust his friend's rather than independent sources? Personally I think we should trust those indifferent to him rather than those that adore him.

It wasn't the nations finest hour in history, but hardly its darkest.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
So you think that all non-Mormon sources that find fault are biased and dishonest.
Sure, put words in my mouth. Then you can tell people I'm crazy. That way you won't have to actually deal with the facts. I love science. I respect all truth. I've learned a great deal about the Book of Mormon from non-Mormon sources. Non-mormon sources are not the same as anti-mormon sources. We know from non-mormon sources that the earth is round. Anti-mormon sources would tell you we believe there are men living on the moon. Non-mormon sources may give us their opinion concerning the Joseph Smith papyri. Anti-mormon sources will publish anything negative or destructive, as proof that Joseph Smith was a conman/liar/delusional regardless of whether or not it is true. I do believe that anti-Mormon sources are biased and dishonest. I've seen the proof again and again. Was it a hearing? Or was it a trial? The court documents requesting funds for the 1826 "trial" were found in 1971, by a man who was critical of the church, and even he now admits it was a HEARING. I have yet to see a single retraction of this proven lie, that it was in fact a hearing and not a trial. It's been over 40 years. How much longer should I wait?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
It took four years after Joseph Smith first saw the angel, before he was allowed to remove the book from the hill. He saw the angel Moroni three years after his first vision, which occurred when he was 14.
That is an unsupported and extraordinary claim that is entirely dependent upon the veracity of Smith. If there is even the slightest reason to doubt Smith, there is good reason to doubt such an extraordinary claim and, for that matter, inquire closely of all claims..

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
It wasn't the nations finest hour in history, but hardly its darkest.
It was just prior to the Civil War. Prejudice was rampant. Few stood up for blacks or religious minorities. People were taking the law into their own hands, forming mobs and killing people based on idle gossip. Which hour do you think is America's darkest?
So we should trust his friend's rather than independent sources? Personally I think we should trust those indifferent to him rather than those that adore him.
I see. So if we wanted to find out your true character, we should ignore anyone who actually likes you? We should only talk to people who don't know you, or ask your enemies? Non-mormons who lived with the prophet should be immediately ignored because they liked him? REALLY?

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
That is an unsupported and extraordinary claim that is entirely dependent upon the veracity of Smith.
Would you feel better if I inserted the word "claimed" over and over until it was tedious? In truth, there were others who supported some of these claims. His wife was with him when he went to get the plates. The family friend knew his horse and trailer were missing. Several people knew of the exact date when Joseph was supposed to meet with the angel. His brother knew when Joseph asked him for the lockable box. Later, several people were allowed to hold the plates on their lap, and look through the pages. Emma Smith reported lifting the gold plates from time to time while she was dusting (it was covered in a thin cloth), and once rifling through metallic sounding pages. Martin Harris held it on his knee for half an hour, while Joseph Smith dug a hole to bury it. Several people claimed to have seen the angel Moroni. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery had been traveling most of the night, to escape a mob, when Peter, James and John appeared to them. It wasn't unusual for others to see the same things that Joseph Smith saw. A body guard saw a vision of Adam, sitting on a throne, while in Joseph's company. Sidney Rigdon saw Christ in a shared vision with Joseph Smith. Several people saw angels on the roof of the Kirtland Temple, when it was dedicated. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery also saw Elijah and others in the Kirtland Temple. The theory that it was all made up by Joseph Smith, just doesn't fly.

Skwim

Veteran Member
rrosskopf said:
Buffalo are bison, and as such are technically cattle, even if we don't usually think of them as cattle.
No they're not. Bison have never been technically considered to be cattle, and neither have buffalo. All cattle belong to the genus Bos, most commonly members of Bos taurus, whereas the two species of Bison are members of the Bison genus. Moreover, buffalo make up two other distinct genera, Syncerus (African, or Cape buffalo), and Bubalus with its various water buffalo species.

Cattle: genus Bos
Bison: genus Bison
Buffalo: genus Syncerus and Bubalus

What do you do, just make this stuff up on the run because . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?

outhouse

Atheistically
His wife was with him when he went to get the plates. The family friend knew his horse and trailer were missing. Several people knew of the exact date when Joseph was supposed to meet with the angel. His brother knew when Joseph asked him for the lockable box. Later, several people were allowed to hold the plates on their lap, and look through the pages. Emma Smith reported lifting the gold plates from time to time while she was dusting (it was covered in a thin cloth), and once rifling through metallic sounding pages. Martin Harris held it on his knee for half an hour, while Joseph Smith dug a hole to bury it. Several people claimed to have seen the angel Moroni. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery had been traveling most of the night, to escape a mob, when Peter, James and John appeared to them. It wasn't unusual for others to see the same things that Joseph Smith saw. A body guard saw a vision of Adam, sitting on a throne, while in Joseph's company. Sidney Rigdon saw Christ in a shared vision with Joseph Smith. Several people saw angels on the roof of the Kirtland Temple, when it was dedicated. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery also saw Elijah and others in the Kirtland Temple.

All faith based claims.

The theory that it was all made up by Joseph Smith, just doesn't fly

Only to you. The rest of the world and all academics, find a different opinion.

outhouse

Atheistically
. I do believe that anti-Mormon sources are biased and dishonest.

Then why debate.

Nothing we say, and no amount of evidence will change your mind.

Should you not stay in the safety of the "same faith" section here, since you flat refuse to debate???

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It was just prior to the Civil War. Prejudice was rampant. Few stood up for blacks or religious minorities. People were taking the law into their own hands, forming mobs and killing people based on idle gossip. Which hour do you think is America's darkest?
I was actually regarding specifically the opposition to Mormonism. That time in general was fairly bleak. Though I would say the actual Civil war was probably the worst. Or in all actuality the civil war and the subsequent decade.
I see. So if we wanted to find out your true character, we should ignore anyone who actually likes you? We should only talk to people who don't know you, or ask your enemies? Non-mormons who lived with the prophet should be immediately ignored because they liked him? REALLY?
If my best friend came up and said that I was an awesome guy but people who knew me but weren't really friends with me said otherwise who would you believe? Especially if I had several convictions and avoiding arrests and was known for seeing things?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I know it can be painful when people challenge your faith, but don't pretend that there isn't any evidence to the authenticity of the Book of Mormon. Many books have been written on the subject, and ignorance of such is just inexcusable. Challenge the evidence, if you will, but don't make blanket statements of faith that you have no chance of supporting.
I have no faith to be challenged so that is not an issue.

I do not pretend that everything in the Book of Mormon is a lie, the best whoppers always always built around a grain of truth. There are sufficient discrepancies that I have no problem describing the Book of Mormon as a piece of historical fiction, no more accurate or meaningful than Jean M. Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear novels.
The Book of Mormon is filled with hundreds of material facts, many of which can be checked. Your faith that there is no God causes you to mock me when I attempt to actually view the facts. That isn't scientific.
My approach is quite scientific. You need to read up on Type One and Type Two errors. For example, although the story is a woefully false and the science is complete crap, the Clan of the Cave Bear series does contain a large number of material facts, but anyone with half a brain and any paleontological knowledge should be able to easily separate the wheat from the chaff. The Book of Mormon is a similar case, except people like you have suffered a lifetime of indoctrination to the point that you see something that is correct and assume that makes everything else correct.
As reported in the Chicago Times, 7 Aug 1875, David Whitmer saw the stone box three time before it was washed down the hill in a rainstorm. Even after that, the lid could be seen at the bottom of the hill for a while.
This is the same David Whitmer who later recanted and was excommunicated?
There was no evidence in Joseph Smith's day that any North American natives knew how to build with cement, let alone that they were expert at it in 100 AD.
So what? There is no reliable evidence that there ever was a cement box.
Back then, this was a serious charge against the authenticity of the Book of Mormon. Since then, we have learned a great deal about the Mayan people, including that they built with hydraulic cement around the same time as the Romans built their aqueducts with hydraulic cement. Joseph Smith was right, and everyone else was wrong.
But that does not speak to the reality of the box.
Every other year it seems like some previously unknown civilization is discovered. The Book of Mormon may be the only witness to Nephites and Lamanites, but that doesn't automatically rule out the possibility that they existed. In fact, one of the Mayan cities was named Lamanai, or Laman Ayin, as archeologists will attest.
The DNA evidence rules out the Nephites and Lamanites. It clearly shows that the American Indians are NOT of Semitic descend. They came from Asia.
Lamanai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go ahead, I'm ready. Tell me that everyone in 1830 knew that, or that it was just a coincidence.
Knowledge or coincidence, it really doesn't matter, the whole story is so full of holes that a few areas of congruence proves nothing.
--------------------------------------------
From exmormon.com:

The Mormon fantasy of America's indigenous people (long post)

Where the BofM imaginary stories allegedly occurred is becoming divisive among some LDS members. It used to be commonly claimed that the BofM encompassed the entire western hemisphere of both North and South America, with Cumorah in New York being the location of the final battle.

Today there are two major geographical ideas. The first is that all of the BofM events played out in a very limited region of Meso-America. This requires two hill Cumorahs, one in Meso-America where the events happened and the second one in New York where the plates were buried.

The other idea is known as the Heartland theory. It proposes that the BofM events played out in the region of the United States, with only one hill Cumorah for the final battle at the same location where Joseph Smith claimed to have found the gold plates.

Instead of examining which of these geographical theories might or might not fit the BofM and early LDS writings, lets consider how neither can possibly agree with reality, based on what is now known about the development of agriculture, metallurgy and civilization in both North and South America.

Mormon ideas and manure

The BofM describes the peopling of America beginning about 2200 BC with the Tower of Babel and the Jaradites. It says they used watertight barges made of wood. The story includes magic glowing stones for light inside these windowless submarines.

Agricultural seeds, honey bees and flocks of animals from the Near East were transported to America. They also brought plants used for livestock feed. It does not say what these plants and animals were but the BofM claims that after their arrival in America, the Jaradites lived with elephants, horses, swine, sheep, cattle and asses.

The fictional people from Lehi began around 600 BC in Israel and they too made a transoceanic crossing. This group mentions seeds and grains including barley and wheat in America as well as horses and chariots, iron, copper, brass, steel, gold and silver.

A third group also came from Jerusalem to America approximately 580 BC. They are commonly called the Mulekites. These were the people who encountered the last surviving Jaradite. The Mulekites became assimilated with the people of Lehi.

Great civilizations were from these people, based on agriculture, livestock and metallurgy. Full scale warfare also happened, bringing the destruction of these civilizations.

The BofM "prophesied" that after the Europeans were to arrive beginning with Columbus, America's indigenous people would be driven, scattered and destroyed, but not all of them. They would eventually "blossom as the rose" and be restored from their devolved and degenerate condition to their former Christian state of advanced civilization. They would be nurtured and carried by the "gentiles" until then, meaning the European colonizers of the Americas would be "nursing fathers and mothers".

The BofM is supposedly written for the descendants of these fallen and depraved people, so that they will know their real ancestors, will become LDS and be restored to their place in "the Lord's true church".

Mormonism teaches that the second coming of Jesus will not happen until after America's indigenous people have become righteous and respected.

The LDS had commonly thought that all of America's indigenous people came from the Near East, as written in the BofM. Many mormon scholars made allowance for "others" like the Mulekites, that came from Israel but whose records have not been revealed yet.

Since 2007 the meaning of "others" has been expanded. Mormon apologists now include descendants of ice-age people who crossed Beringia more than 10,000 years ago. They use these people who originated before Adam and Eve to explain the failure to find DNA signatures from the Near East.

The popular consensus among apologists is that DNA haplotypes from the fertile crescent have been diluted into a mass population of people whose ancestors anciently migrated into America out of Asia long before the Biblical timeline, even before Adam and Eve.

At the end of the day, all of these mormon ideas will turn a person's thoughts into manure. Even worse, an entire group of living people are degraded by this fictional pseudo-history.

The unique accomplishments and contributions to the world from America's first inhabitants are often ignored by LDS people if things are not in the BofM. If any accomplishments are acknowledged, they are falsely credited to people from the fertile crescent. This is a very harmful aspect of the BofM. The highjacking of culture and history in the name of a fraudulent religion that began in the 19th century needs to end.

Let's examine some of the most significant accomplishments made by America's indigenous people. These are things that get ignored because the facts do not fit the BofM religious myths.

Agriculture

To believe the BofM, one would conclude that Old World seeds, crops and animals were brought to America but disappeared before Columbus. Many LDS have reasoned that because the people turned against the God of the Bible and killed each other, they destroyed their own civilizations and caused their animals and crops to die off and disappear.

The reality is that agriculture developed independently in different parts of the world. For example, there is no book translated from magic golden plates describing people from Jerusalem taking seeds and knowledge into ancient China, teaching people there how to plant and grow crops. Plant domestications happened without the need for outsiders to bring an "advanced" method.

Independent plant domestication happened in South America, Meso-America and in Eastern North America, without cultural diffusion between these regions. It does not support the BofM fictional claim of Near Eastern domesticated plants brought to America and grown. Because indigenous American plants were domesticated in numerous locations without influence from other regions, none of the BofM geography models agree with agricultural reality.

The truth is that more than half of all the world's crops now in cultivation were first domesticated in the Americas long before the time periods alleged in the BofM stories. America's indigenous people have contributed more than 300 food crops to the world.

Until Columbus arrived, these plants were unknown to the rest of the world: avocados, lima beans, kidney beans, shell beans, string beans etc., chocolate, cassava, chicle, chilies, corn, hickory nuts, jicama, maple syrup, manioc, papayas, peanuts, pecans, peppers, persimmons, pineapples, potatoes, pumpkins, squashes, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoes, tapioca, tomatoes, vanilla and long-fiber cotton.

America's indigenous people were not only sophisticated botanists, they developed new types of corn through hybridization. They learned to plant corn, beans and squash together to reduce plant loss to insects. This ancient technique known as the three sisters is still used today, minimizing soil depletion and overuse of pesticides.

They developed irrigation and water conservation. They also domesticated alpaca, dogs, ducks, guineas pigs, honey bees, llama, turkeys and vicuna.

Some of the most important crops in the world today are corn, potatoes, manioc (a staple in parts of Africa) and the American sweet potato.

In the 21st century, a new food crop is being studied by NASA for long term space travel. It is none other than an ancient domesticated American plant called Chenopodium quinoa. It had been a staple of the Inca Empire for many centuries.

None of these plants or animals are mentioned in the BofM, and no BofM prophet predicted the agricultural contributions to the world that America's people would make. Instead, the mormon scriptures tell of a fallen and immoral people who needed the true church of the mormons to raise them back up before the second coming of christ.

The reality is that the world owes a debt of gratitude to America's indigenous people for their agricultural achievements.

Now let's examine some accomplishments that are acknowledged but wrongly attributed to people from the Near East.

Metallurgy

One of the oldest European ideas is that human progress is marked by when stone and metals were used. Christians tied it to the Bible, beginning with Adam about 6,000 years ago.

The stone, bronze and iron ages became theories in archaeology. It was thought that superior people first left the stone age and used metals. These same ones also invented agriculture, domesticated animals and used iron and wheels. Christians claimed that it all began in the Bible lands of the Fertile Crescent and then spread to the rest of the world. Scientists are now discovering how wrong these ideas have been.

People have been mining and cold working copper in the Great Lakes basin of North America for 7,000 years. They were doing this in Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin before God made Adam and Eve according to the Bible. They used the copper for ornaments and trade items before they developed agriculture and domesticated crops. Archaeologists used to think that metal work only happened after civilizations began in the Near East.

Great Lakes copper is very pure. They did not melt it for casting in molds because it was easily shaped cold or by heating without needing to melt it.

South America worked with copper too. Because it is not as pure as in the Great Lakes region, Andean people discovered the process of smelting 4,000 years ago to separate the copper from the rock, as well as working with gold and silver. Archaeologists now know that many people throughout the world independently learned how to smelt. America did it without needing anyone from anywhere else in the world coming to them to teach them how.

By 400 AD the people in South America were making bronze. Andean mariners traded their metal work up and down the western coast and about 800 AD they taught the people of western Mexico how to smelt.

Mormon apologists and writers are quick to point out that metal was worked in the Americas, but this is often used to argue that the making of the gold plates was not impossible. Some writers suggest that the use of metal in America might be evidence that people from the Near East brought that art and knowledge to America.

Take a serious look at the timelines of the BofM compared to reality. Copper work in North America was being done even before the time of Adam and Eve. Copper smelting in South America happened before Lehi, but bronze was not made until nearly the end of the BofM stories and was not in the popular geography of Meso-America until long after the fictional stories had ended.

Consider the apologist's geography theories. No smelting was done in the region of the United States. So much for the heartland theory. Likewise, smelting and bronze making was not done in the region of Meso-America until nearly 400 years after the gold plates were allegedly buried and the civilization of Nephites destroyed. The Limited Geography Theory is not supported with metallurgy.

Ancient American metal work does not fit in with the BofM stories of fantasy, while reality does not get talked about when it does not support the BofM.

Writing

Writing is found in Meso-America. Pictographs expressed meaning and many were adapted to denote sound values. Apologists have grabbed onto this as evidence to support the BofM. But this is how writing independently began in all other places in the world that developed it.

Cuneiform record keeping began in Mesopotamia around 5000 years ago. It was later adapted for writing, then was replaced by the Phoenician alphabet beginning about 2,900 years ago.

There is something very unique in America that apologists rarely mention. Quipu were knotted cords of different colors that were used for record keeping in America, beginning at almost the same time that marks on clay tablets began in Mesopotamia.

A 4,600 year old quipu was found in South America which may be one of the earliest forms of communication in the world, roughly as old as the cuneiform of Mesopotamia.

America's people were doing the same thing as in Mesopotamia, but keeping records with knotted cords instead of marks on clay tablets. And they were doing this before the fictional Jaradites came. The quipu were also used for performing addition, subraction, multiplication and division, and as mnemonic devices, to help recall long passages of memorized material.

An elite class of people were taught to read and use the quipu. Ceremonies and gatherings were crucial because the record keepers shared information and history at these times. The Spanish considered the quipu to be idolatrous and destroyed many of them. They forbid ceremonies where information was shared. This was the same as destroying books.

Apologists promote the Mayan glyphs (which have no correspondence to BofM stories) while ignoring the quipu, a highly effective system for the Andean people and the Inca civilization. The earliest stages of record keeping in America happened before the BofM stories began, and in a geographical region outside of Meso-America. Imagine that!

Finally, let's examine accomplishments that happened after the final battle of fantasy in the BofM, after the people were supposedly reduced to barbarianism and wickedness and cursed for destroying god's people.

The BofM ends with descriptions of depraved and degenerate people who tortured and murdered each other, raped women and practiced cannabilism, even feeding women and children to their own husbands and fathers. It leaves the reader with the thought that America's indigenous people remained in that condition, waiting for the arrival of Columbus to bring the influence of Christianity. It leaves the reader thinking that the BofM and Joseph Smith were great things from God in order to improve America's indignous people.

LDS members might think they know the history of ancient America better because of the BofM, but how many mormons take an interest in real history and events between 421 AD and 1492? If America's people were truthfully described at the end of the BofM, it would seem that nothing of significance should have happened after Moroni buried the plates.

Some mormons might think that whatever happened during those centuries, it is not as important as what happened after God led Christian people to America beginning with Columbus. This is another harmful influence of mormonism. A writing of fiction causes otherwise reasonable people to think of human beings as degraded and with little accomplishment. It plants the idea that mormons hold the truth and can "save" these "depraved" ones.

Brain Surgery

America's indigenous people, these depraved and degenerate savages, were far more advanced in medicine and surgery than most people in the U.S. even know.

Scientists were collecting skulls to study the primitive races in America, and in the 1860s a very precise and neatly perforated prehistoric skull was found.

Ever since then, people have argued about what the holes were for. One of the most popular ideas is that the holes were made to let out demons.

It is now beginning to be realized that these holes were emergency surgery to remove shattered bone and clean out pooling blood after a blow to the head.

More trepanned skulls have been found in the Andean region of Peru than the rest of the world together. The skulls span two thousand years, from around 400 BC to AD 1500, showing improvements in surgical techniques and a remarkable increase in the survival of patients to a level that rivals that under today's surgeons.

In Europe and America in the 19th century and early 20th century, surgeons operating on the skull were lucky to save 25 per cent of patients. The Incas had a success rate of around 80 per cent, using stone age tools.

This was not in Meso-America or in the region of the United States, it was not in the locations of currently popular BofM geography models. The period after the BofM tales ended brought the most significant improvements in emergency medical surgeries and survival rates. The Andean people developed the methods into a medical art. This completely disagrees with the LDS stereotype of America's savage indigenous people after the final battle in the BofM.

Cahokia

The Mississippi and Ohio river valleys were the locations of ancient agriculture and cities. The Hopewell culture and Cahokia are some of the best examples.

Until La Salle's travels in the 1670s, no European had ever ventured into these areas.

Between 600 and 1400 AD, an ancient indigenous city was located near St. Louis. Today it is known as Cahokia. By the time La Salle visited it, it's glory had already faded nearly 300 years earlier.

A Catholic mission site was established at Cahokia in 1699. This was the first permanent European settlement on the Mississippi River, but the ancient city was not recognized or understood by the first Europeans.

In 1811 an American named Henry Brackenridge heard about some French monks living near large mounds. He visited them to see the ruins.

From a letter to Thomas Jefferson by Henry Brackenridge, July 25, 1813 -

"When I examined it in 1811, I was astonished that this stupendous monument of antiquity should have been unnoticed by any traveler"

The writers at that time did not know how recent or how old the ancient ruins were. Much was open to the imagination, and fiction such as the BofM was quite popular.

Monks Mound at Cahokia is the largest man-made earthen mound in North America. It is an echo of the most sophisticated prehistoric civilization north of Mexico. In 1250 AD the city was larger than London.

The people and culture of Cahokia had declined because of climate changes, but further to the south, de Vaca, de Sota and La Salle had seen many others still living the cultural ways as they had been in Cahokia before the mini ice-age began.

In the 1960s archaeologists discovered that the people of Cahokia had set up posts in circular arcs. These were used as a calendar to mark the solstice and perhaps the rising or setting of bright stars or constellations.

Today it is known as Woodhenge and had been built in the period from 900 to 1100 AD. One of the circles was 410 feet in diameter and had 48 posts. Each post was 15 to 20 inches in diameter and stood about 20 feet high.

The truth is quite different from mormon delusions of cursed dark skin people, depraved and wicked, killing and eating each other.

Mormon apostle Boyd K. Packer once stated "Some things that are true are not very useful." As an outsider to his faith, I can only see the harm that mormonism causes to all indigenous people in the Americas through the denigration of their history and culture.

Now apologists have created the MDL to defend their right to promote fiction no matter how harmful it is to America's first inhabitants. It seems the time is ripe for America's indigenous people, archaeologists, anthropologists, etc. to turn up the pressure in challenging the pseudo claims of mormonism.

outhouse

Atheistically
The DNA evidence rules out the Nephites and Lamanites. It clearly shows that the American Indians are NOT of Semitic descend. They came from Asia.

Agreed.

And I highly doubt OP would even agree with the true history of Israelites origins after 1200 BC from displaced Canaanites, who were mixed with many different heritage's over thousands of years.

Their heritage was in a state of constant evolution, that could hardly be defined as their own unique heritage, less a very vague description of people in a constant state of change from a multi cultural background in wide geographic locations.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
No they're not. Bison have never been technically considered to be cattle

Ouch. I quote the most reliable of sources WIKIPEDIA ;-)
"Bison, sometimes erroneously called buffalo, are large, even-toed ungulates in the genus Bison within the subfamily Bovinae."
"While all bison species are usually grouped into their own genus, they are sometimes included in the closely related genus Bos, together with cattle, gaur, kouprey, and yaks, with which bison have a limited ability to interbreed."
"American bison are more easily tamed than their European cousins, and breed with domestic cattle more readily."
"The bovine family (Bovidae) diverged from the common ancestral line with water buffalo and African buffalo about 5 to 10 million years ago. Thereafter, the family lineage of bison and taurine cattle does not appear to be a straightforward "tree" structure as is often depicted in much evolution, because evidence of interbreeding and crossbreeding is seen between different species and members within this family, even many millions of years after their ancestors separated into different species. This crossbreeding was not sufficient to conflate the different species back together, but it has resulted in unexpected relationships between many members of this group, such as yak being related to American bison, when such relationships would otherwise not be apparent."

Are you really going to get all upset that the Nephites didn't have a DNA test? For all extensive purposes, if they are close enough to interbreed, they are members of the same family.

Merriam-Webster shows
cattle: domesticated quadrupeds held as property or raised for use; specifically: bovine animals on a farm or ranch
So maybe you should complain to Merriam-Webster.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
Then why debate.

Nothing we say, and no amount of evidence will change your mind.
Why? are you anti-mormon? Even if you do hate Mormons, I can't assume that everyone hates Mormons. And even I assumed that everyone hates Mormons, I can't assume that everyone is willing to lie. I am teachable. My mind can be changed, if I am wrong on a material fact. Don't assume just because I don't swallow every ignorant opinion, that I am unteachable.
You flat admit, you do not respect all truth. You flat stated you only respect your own faith.
When did I say that? Please don't put words in my mouth. I respect truth where-ever it is found, even in another church. I loved Tuesdays with Morrie. He certainly wasn't Mormon.
Lets settle this truth issue once and for all.
Provide sources that back this claim.
What? That anti-mormons teach that Mormons believe that there are people living on the moon? That's easy. Early Mormon Leaders on the Inhabitants of the Sun and Moon | Mormonism Research Ministry
All faith based claims.
I'm not sure what you mean. If I hold a book in my hand, and testify to what I see, is that a faith-based claim?
Only to you. The rest of the world and all academics, find a different opinion.
I'm game. Instead of just wagging your tongue, tell me a theory where Joseph Smith somehow gets all these people to testify to seeing the plates, to seeing miracles, to seeing angels... That story must be better than the one that involves God.
Should you not stay in the safety of the "same faith" section here, since you flat refuse to debate???
I've done nothing but debate. I back up all my assertions with facts. Perhaps you are confusing debate with agreement.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
I have no faith to be challenged so that is not an issue.
You obviously have faith in a universe without a God. You have faith that the sun will go down, and come up. You have faith that your car will start when you turn the key. You have faith in science, although it doesn't always deserve it. I didn't say "faith in God", which seems to be your knee-jerk assumption.
I do not pretend that everything in the Book of Mormon is a lie, the best whoppers always always built around a grain of truth. There are sufficient discrepancies that I have no problem describing the Book of Mormon as a piece of historical fiction, no more accurate or meaningful than Jean M. Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear novels.
Perhaps I can tilt the scale a little more in the direction of divine providence.
My approach is quite scientific. You need to read up on Type One and Type Two errors.
Thank you for the suggestion. I won't read another word until I do.

outhouse

Atheistically
When did I say that?

Right here below.

. I do believe that anti-Mormon sources are biased and dishonest.

Now we have to understand your personal definition of anti Mormon.

are you anti-mormon?

No, I am pro history, education and knowledge.

I respect truth where-ever it is found,

I provided credible sources, Abraham, Moses and Noah have no historicity as written. And that is the truth.

Do you agree?

Or do you view that as anti Mormon?

If I hold a book in my hand, and testify to what I see, is that a faith-based claim?

Absolutely

Not all book are equal.

Not all books are credible sources for reality.

Instead of just wagging your tongue

Sir I provided credible sources, of which you are not directly addressing