• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A simplified version of a simplified version of the Bhagavad Gita.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This is a pleasure to read. Thank you for doing it. Keep it up.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Chapter fifteen
This worldly life is like a sacred tree with roots above and branches below. Fed by the three qualities, it blooms into the sensory world influencing all actions. Cut down this tree with detachment and find the path that does not return to rebirth. Remain aware of the real Self within. Once you arrive, there is no leaving again. Krishna sends fragments of himself to become the inner Self in all creatures.
Bodies are impermanent, but the Self within is eternal. Beyond both impermanent and permanent is the Highest Self. Krishna is that Highest Self.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Chapter sixteen
Discipline yourself to be loving and selfless. Do not get angry, and harm no living creature. Practice compassion with a forgiving mind. These qualities lead to peace.
You are born with these qualities. But those who follow the downward path ignore them. These people, forsaking their divine tendencies, see none of the interplays of spiritual energies, and they deny Spirit as the knower within them. They are driven by a need to satisfy their cravings. They are never satisfied.
The primary doorways to this self-destructive behavior are labeled as lust, anger, and greed. Don't walk through those doors.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Chapter seventeen
Every creature has a faith of some kind. People have a faith that conforms to whatever quality is dominant. Those in whom sattva (truth) is strongest have faith in God. Those in whom rajas (passion) is strongest have faith in power. Those in whom tamas (indifference) is strongest have faith in superstition.
Each of these qualities expresses itself through people's attitudes, food preferences, work habits, etc.
These qualities govern spiritual practices. Truth-centered people have their thought on the purpose of their observance, whereas passion-centered people go for recognition. Indifferent people stumble their way through their practice without understanding.
To practice with a spirit of calmness and purity is truth-centered. To practice with the goal of achieving admiration is passion centered. To practice for the purpose of gaining power over others is indifference centered.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Chapter eighteen
It is not right to renounce responsibility. Instead, to fulfill your responsibility while desiring nothing for yourself is the true meaning of renunciation.
It is a mistake to forsake work and spiritual practice by saying you are renouncing action.
It is impossible to renounce action while in a body. But those who renounce attachment to outcome step out of the reach of karmic consequences.
Those who do not understand the nature of action think of themselves as doing everything.
Action may be understood in terms of the three qualities of sattva, rajas, and tamas.
In the mode of sattva, one sees the single, undivided One in all beings and remains unattached to the result of their actions.
In the mode of rajas, one sees differences among beings and abandons duty because it is difficult. One performs actions with selfish motives and becomes over attached to the outcome.
In the mode of tamas, one is undisciplined and deceitful.
Sattva governs the awareness of when you act and when not to act; rajas causes confusion between what is right and wrong; and tamas governed people tend to become involved in actions that should be avoided.
Pleasure ruled by sattva may seem like poison at first but tastes like honey in the end. Pleasure from the senses seems like honey at first but is poisonous in the end. Those governed by tamas get their pleasure from sleep and intoxication.
There is no being free from these three modes.
By devotion to your duty, you can attain spiritual perfection.
Perform your natural duty to the best of your ability, as a service to the Divine, without the tendency to abandon duties because they are imperfect. Every action is surrounded by defects. It is essential to purify the mind through spiritual practice and to step back from the influence of the senses with resolve, so that you can avoid being governed by the illusion of likes and dislikes. Take command of your actions. Make every act an offering to Krishna. Remember him in every activity, and you will overcome every difficult.
Do not share this wisdom with those who lack devotion of self-control.
Anyone who reads or studies these teachings has worshipped Krishna.
Arjuna resolves to act and fight.
Wherever these words are heard, Lord Krishna is present.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
And that's a simplified version of a simplified version of the Bhagavad Gita!
I strongly recommend reading the Gita itself. I cut out a lot in some places for the sake of simplification. This is probably most apparent in chapter eighteen. I hope I didn't cut too much where the central message is lost.
Thanks for reading.

Truth in love

A simplified version of a simplified version of the Bhagavad Gita.

I am making this thread for myself, in order to encourage me to read the Gita again. I'll continually update as long as I have service, which is not guaranteed for me.
Feel free to comment though
Introduction
"Bhagavad Gita" means "song of God"
It is a small part of the Hindu epic "Mahabharata"
The Gita takes place at a high point of a feud between two great families. The feud revolves around a inheritance dispute that culminates into a war.
When the two houses face off in the battlefield, the champion of one house, Prince Arjuna, instructs his chariot driver between the two armies so he can observe. Overwhelmed by the site of family and loved ones divided on both sides, he declares he will not fight. The chariot driver and the Prince then discuss life and death, as well as divinity.
Thats the Gita!

The chariot driver is none other than Lord Krishna.
Krishna is a major deity is Hinduism. Worshipped as the eighth avatar of Vishnu and a supreme God in his own right.

The perspective that the Gita is told from is like this. The blind King Dhritarashta on the opposing side of Arjuna has a clairvoyant scribe Sanjaya. This scribe relays Krishna's and Arjuna's conversation to the king.

Chapter one
The clairvoyant scribe Sanjaya begins to relay to the blind King Dhritarashta what is happening on the battlefield.
Prince Arjuna and Lord Krishna ride between the two armies. Seeing families divided, Arjuna declares he will not fight and throws aside his bow. Lord Krishna turns to him and begins to speak.

Thanks for doing this I was going to read it years back but the free app was not in English and trying to learn (I’m guessing) Hindi was a bridge much too far.

vulcanlogician

Thanks for doing this I was going to read it years back but the free app was not in English and trying to learn (I’m guessing) Hindi was a bridge much too far.

It's a really good read. You can find it everywhere in English nowadays of course. And it's a pretty fast read too. You should give it a read.

ISKCON's "official" translation is quite approachable, though I'd recommend skipping over the commentary, or reading a version of it without commentary, especially on the first go-through.