• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Sharp Critique of Consumerism

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Questions?
Can you start posting things I don't agree with so we can debate and argue? I define materialism and consumerism differently, with materialism being as you define consumerism and consumerism being an ideology that promotes excessive and wanton consumption. But asides from that we're 99.9999% agreeing.

PureX

Veteran Member
So what to you think is motivating you in these pursuits?
Idealism, hope, faith, empathy, ...
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by work but you seem to be implying it's a bad thing whatever it is.

I don't assume it's everybody's nature. However I'm not saying it might not be yours.

Ok we are motivated. If you feel this word covers a better spectrum, I'm ok with using "motivations" instead of "desires".
Desire is only one motivation. There are others, that's all I meant to point out. And understanding this, we can then choose from these which are most in keeping with who we are, and who we would like to become in the future.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Idealism, hope, faith, empathy, ...
Desire is only one motivation. There are others, that's all I meant to point out. And understanding this, we can then choose from these which are most in keeping with who we are, and who we would like to become in the future.

That's fine. I'm all cool with that.

And I suppose what was meant in the OP was really an obsession with consumerism. And I agree most obsessions, materialism or something else one is obsessed by can cause problems.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's fine. I'm all cool with that.

And I suppose what was meant in the OP was really an obsession with consumerism. And I agree most obsessions, materialism or something else one is obsessed by can cause problems.
The biggest problem, I think being that one places the responsibility for their own happiness, fulfillment, purpose, etc., on external phenomena that they cannot control (other people, places, things, and events).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The biggest problem, I think being that one places the responsibility for their own happiness, fulfillment, purpose, etc., on external phenomena that they cannot control (other people, places, things, and events).

Sure, no reason to beat yourself up over what you can't control. Have fun with what you can.