• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Serious Question To Self-Proclaimed Atheists ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
“Spiritual” and “supernatural” aren’t necessarily synonymous.

That's a straw man fallacy as I never claimed otherwise, however since you make the assertion we should note that spiritual id defined as not material or physical. However if you are implying it is part of the physical natural world then please demonstrate some objective evidence for it?

Again, just because you haven’t seen or recognized the spiritual only constitutes an anecdotal argument.

As opposed to your anecdotal argument that everyone has you mean? It's also not argument, I simply don't believe I have ever experienced anything spiritual. Your claim I have requires evidence, and a no true Scotsman fallacy I and others don't recognise it, is an irrational argument.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Are you claiming to be such a person?
No. Merely presenting a counter argument to your claim that" we’re not aware [of the world] because we’re not self aware on a cognitive level".

Look, all I’m saying is that the process of self-awareness and becoming self-differentiated is a natural cognitive process wherein one becomes aware of the self in ways that allow the individual to see that the world is bigger than one’s own, individual experience. And that’s what spirituality ultimately is. You don’t have to believe in deity or ascribe to particular theological ideas.
Why does such a development require the spiritual?

Last edited:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Intuition isn’t “nothing.” Memory isn’t “nothing.” Newborns have both. Please stop gaslighting.

Please demonstrate some objective evidence for your claim, and then explain what it has to do with your claim we all experience the spiritual? The last comment is hilarious sorry given your multiple attempts to tell others they don't understand their own reality, because they are not understanding spiritual experiences you claim they have, and they assert they don't.

KWED

If you refuse to see that the world is larger than your own experience of it, then you’re not paying attention. Or your post is disingenuous.
Seems like you are the one not paying attention.

I said that "I have no memory of ever thinking that there is "something else out there" or "some greater purpose"."
Of course I realise that my experience of the world is only a snapshot, but that is not the same as believing that there is some supernatural power at work or that humanity has some "greater purpose" beyond the genetic urge to reproduce, and whatever purpose we personally assign to our lives. Ultimately, all life on this planet is utterly meaningless and without purpose. I appreciate that some people have problems with that, but it doesn't make it any less true.

KWED

“Spiritual” and “supernatural” aren’t necessarily synonymous.
Necessarily, maybe not, but generally, yes they are.

Again, just because you haven’t seen or recognized the spiritual only constitutes an anecdotal argument.
Saying "I have never seen a ghost" may be anecdotal, but the statement "Every attempt to demonstrate the existence of the supernatural has failed" is not.

KWED

Creativity isn’t particularly about “finding answers.” Many times, its function is to provide space to question. That’s what spirituality is all about: creating space to question those things that are larger than us. And that’s a real endeavor.
"Spirituality" is not require in order to generate an environment conducive to furthering knowledge. In fact, it often seems to stifle it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Unbelief" is not a belief. In fact, it's not even a statement. It's just meaningless gibberish that requires no label, and offers no information.

Unbelief is not gibberish, it deserves a label if one wishes to discuss it, and it is informative if one understands its significance.

Which is exactly why the majority of self-proclaimed atheists are so desperate to hide from their own absurd hypocrisy, behind it.

Straw man. There is no desperation or hiding here, and once again, because you don't understand something doesn't make it gibberish or absurd. Your last two comments fit that description pretty well, however. Who starts thread after thread here to make some theistic point? And who who comes running to the discussion? I think you have misidentified the desperate half of these discussions.

Claiming "no reason" as one's reasoning is the logic of either an idiot or a liar.

Another straw man. You really have no idea how critical thinking works. "Unbelief" and "no reason" are important concepts in critical thinking. So are skepticism and empiricism. And valid reasoning. These are what lead to atheism. Perhaps this is why you just can't understand skeptical empiricists. You don't really understand these principles. Of course it seems like absurd rubbish to you. Of course you see hypocrisy if you don't understand what is being asserted or why.

Do you think that the fact that you had to change the subject from "unbelief" to inaction because you couldn't address the point I made about "unbelief" being meaningless gibberish could be an indication that maybe you should be rethinking your position?

Do you think the fact that you fail to understand what is being told to you by multiple sound thinkers independently in agreement with one another that your position, supported by nobody, might be an indication that you should rethink that position? What are the odds that all of those people are absurd compared to the odds that you are? I assure you that if these same people were all telling me the same thing, I would consider that strong evidence that I am wrong, and ask them to show me what is the flaw in my thinking that I came to such a different conclusion. But that's only because I understand that the odds that they are all wrong in the same way is extremely slim.

Are you familiar with Tolstoy's Anna Karenina? The opening line (a great trivia subject: "Call me Ishmael," "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times") is “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” I like to say that correct answers are all alike, every incorrect answer different in its own way. Think of a column of figures to add. Twelve people get 12,754, and another twelve get 1274, 12745, 12755, etc. Would that mean anything to you?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Seems like some here are dismissing possibilities that lie outside the rational mind, which dismisses whole segments of valid human experience.

Not in my cases, and I suspect not in the case of most of the skeptics participating. I completed my exploration of such matters before age 40, and gleaned what was of value then.

Furthermore, when I see these kinds of comments about valid human experience that I might be missing out on, or spiritual truths that have been learned, and I ask what those things were, I get crickets. And then I look at the writing of such people for evidence that they their efforts have helped them in a way that might help others as well, I see nothing. They demonstrate no benefit. They show no increased understanding of themselves, and no increased capacity for happiness. So what's the appeal to going down that road again to see what I might have missed? Nothing, apparently. That's also evidence. That's also significant.

We talk a lot about processing evidence when discussing intelligence and critical thinking, but what's not discussed is identifying evidence. It's all well and good to be able to take evidence to sound conclusions, but it's also valuable to be able to identify evidence when nobody tells you that it's there or that it is relevant to you. That's what Sherlock Holmes did so well. He found evidence others didn't see.

It’s funny that many believe humanity is more advanced than other life forms. They do so based on our ability to be creative and think outside predetermined boxes. Yet when it comes to spiritual experience, they throw that creative capacity down the drain.

Creativity in cognition (as opposed to composing new music, for example) is a valuable source of new ideas, but they must be vetted empirically to be useful (hypothesis testing).

just because you choose not to explore those facets does not lessen the credibility of others who do so.

Straw man. Facets explored, gold extracted, dross discarded. And if you read what I just wrote about these kinds of claims of beneficial arcane knowledge acquired just aren't supported when one observes them.

Actually, I know what arcane knowledge looks like, how it manifests. You can see it in every qualified critical thinker here. It manifests as sound thinking. I've commented on the three tiers of knowing before: Knowing that one is correct, knowing that one cannot draw correct conclusions himself, but understanding that others can and deferring to their expertise and judgment, and third tier, the Dunning-Kruger tier, who are simply aware that critical thinking exists or what it can do. These are the people who consider all opinions equivalent. For them, this is all arcane knowledge. They just don't know that there is another method for determining what is true about the world than just guessing.

The first group says, "I can interpret the COVID morbidity and mortality data and conclude that I need a vaccine." This person knows what is correct, and knows he knows it, that is he knows he's correct and that those who disagree are incorrect, even if they don't know it. Incidentally, anybody who sees the statistics on ICU hospitalization and death in the vaccinated and the unvaccinated, and can divide one number by the other can see that one group is getting tremendous benefit from the vaccine, and conclude without expert input he needs the shot.

The second group says, "Statistics confound me, but that Dr. Fauci guy says to get a vaccine, and being an expert, he ought to know. He says get a vaccine, so I need a vaccine"

The third group says, "It's all just opinion. Nobody can know what to do. Everybody's guessing. I'll take the ivermectin instead." For these people, the fruits of critical thinking and even the possibility of it or knowing what it is, is arcane knowledge.

I like to call these three the knowingly knowing, the knowingly unknowing, and the unknowingly unknowing.

But getting back to the context at hand, these people making these claims about the benefit of their efforts see themselves the second tier - not yet enlightened, but getting there - and the rest of us in the third tier, tragically not knowing what they are missing: unknowingly unknowing about anything they can't kick. So how do I decide which of us is more correct? Once again, evidence, or in this case, the lack of it to support the claim that there's anything there there.

Can one measure love? Beauty? Aesthetic? Imagination? These things are real.

What's real are the things that such words refer to. Love is not real, but acts of love are. We call them that because of something they all have in common, and that something is empirically detectable. When a family gives up a vacation so that junior can have braces, that's detectable. If you call that love, then yes, love is measurable, but if you merely wish to refer to the abstraction separate from any concrete examples, then no, there is nothing to measure. The words love and God, and the ideas they connote have the same ontological status as any idea - the result of chemicals in an intelligent brain. But their referents do not. We cannot say that an idea believed without evidence has the same significance as an idea like love that one can point to in the world. It's incorrect to conclude that since love can't be weighed but refers to something real nevertheless, that ideas for which there is nothing to point to should also be afforded that same status.

all I’m saying is that the process of self-awareness and becoming self-differentiated is a natural cognitive process wherein one becomes aware of the self in ways that allow the individual to see that the world is bigger than one’s own, individual experience. And that’s what spirituality ultimately is. You don’t have to believe in deity or ascribe to particular theological ideas.

If that's what you mean by spiritual, then we're already all spiritual once we're self-aware. That's a pretty low bar. Donald Trump has accomplished that. But he demonstrates nothing that I would call spiritual. Daily spiritual experiences for me are playing with my dogs, laughing, hearing beautiful music, contemplating exciting ideas (like these), being of service, and the like. It sounds like I could jettison all of that and still be spiritual just for recognizing that the world is bigger than I was born knowing.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Music is just noise until your brain makes it's own sense
System of a down Toxicity
Tool Anemia
Led Zeppelin I
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

Of course music is in the eye of the beholder. Dead and silent until some old dying man hears it.

Not waiting that long. I live it all now. Past must be understood to move forward in any meaningful way.
Ignore suffering you say and just enjoy?

Glad you have been able to understand the all that is TAO and are still alive and able to ignore all the effing suffering , insecurity, intolerance, injustice in the name of faith and unjustified beliefs about anything and everything., in an obvious and natural alter explanation of experience grounded in REALITY.

I am not a great forum participant but I do actually think about views that are offered which are different than the ones I have experienced on my own.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
thereby creating a false dilemma for yourself. Music is just noise until your brain makes it's own sense of it. Thus, the music happens both in the world AND in your mind. But that doesn't make it any less musical, or 'real'. God is an idealized experience like music is an idealized experience. It

So what? You are always stating belief is of no importance.

What is important to you as a god concept? You are the one promoting god beliefs as something to he excepted in order to enjoy life.

Wtf does a God even mean to you or any other human? We know some of the past beliefs in gods through recorded history. None of the thousands of god beliefs that were born before religion and kings.

Humans desire a caretaker like all mammals. We have just been able to be more creative in our imagination about what that caretaker would consist of should our wishes come true.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Suitably cryptic and vague, it's in the dictionary, but then so is the word unicorn. If you're attaching some vague subjective esoteric meaning then it's incumbent on you to explain that accurately, since it is your belief.

I'd bet a year's salary he attached no superstitious connotation to it in that context.
A year's salary? Well, I'm not a betting person anyway. :) Even if I'd win.

KWED

Intuition isn’t “nothing.” Memory isn’t “nothing.” Newborns have both.
Obviously there is some mental capacity. Newborns aren't dead.
However, you claimed that "Everyone starts out with some sense that the world is larger than it appears to be, that their experience is deeper than it appears, and that there must be some greater purpose than converting oxygen and pooping."
That claim has been refuted.
Not only that, there is no evidence that anyone starts out like that. It is merely your opinion. As I already pointed out, there is nothing to suggest that newborns are even aware that there is a world beyond their immediate sensory experience.

Please stop gaslighting.
Pointing out the inconsistency of your position is not "gaslighting".

KWED

Creativity isn’t particularly about “finding answers.” Many times, its function is to provide space to question. That’s what spirituality is all about: creating space to question those things that are larger than us. And that’s a real endeavor.
What is the purpose of asking questions if not to find answers?
Not sure you've really thought this through.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It's a counter claim by logical default.
No.

"I believe in ghosts" => this is a claim.

"Do you believe in ghosts?"
"no" ==> this is not a claim.

Why not just remain agnostic (undecided)?

Why are you still repeating this mistake while so many people, including myself, have already pointed out this error of yours?

Once more: agnosticism is NOT some "third" choice between atheism and theism.

If anything, it is a qualifier of (a)theistm. They are NOT mutually exclusive.

How many more times before it will sink in?

What benefit is there to labeling yourself as claiming that no gods exist?

Dude...............
In the very post you are replying to, he just made it extremely clear that that is NOT what he is claiming.

Why do you insist on being dishonest about this?

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
So what? You are always stating belief is of no importance.
It is of importance to the believer, but of little importance otherwise. All "belief" really is, is the presumption that what we think is true, is true. And that really has no relevance to anyone but ourselves. But atheists have to keep the focus on belief so they can hide their "evidential" hypocrisy behind the facade of "unbelief". And why they must cling so ardently to it. Just read the posts on this thread. All they do is repeat over and over and over and over how the "disbelieve". No one cares what anyone "disbelieves" but them. And yet they can't assert what they really do believe (that no gods exist) because they know they can't defend it any more than the theist can defend the assertion that gods do exist.
What is important to you as a god concept? You are the one promoting god beliefs as something to he excepted in order to enjoy life.
What is important to me is the positive effect in my life of choosing to trust in the hopeful ideal of a benevolent God. I don't know if God exists or not, or if God is benevolent. But I do know that trusting in the possibility that such a God does exist improves my experience of being. And I don't need to "believe it" to gain the benefits of trusting in that hope. I am not a "God believer". Nor do I need to be.
Wtf does a God even mean to you or any other human? We know some of the past beliefs in gods through recorded history. None of the thousands of god beliefs that were born before religion and kings.
We all get to determine for ourselves what we hope God to be. And we all get to decide for ourselves to trust that hope, or not to. Why are you insisting on basing God's existence on knowledge that you know you can't have? That's stupid.
Humans desire a caretaker like all mammals. We have just been able to be more creative in our imagination about what that caretaker would consist of should our wishes come true.
That sounds like a good argument FOR faith in God, not against it.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
We aren't using different versions of the words. We are ascribing a different meaning to them. Ascribing the meaning, "I don't believe you" to the word 'atheism' renders the word unnecessary, because we already have other words that mean, "I don't believe you". Like 'skepticism' and 'agnosticisn' and even 'theism'. And we could simply just say, "I don't believe you'. There's no need to use the word 'atheism' at all.

So why render the word pointless, and then use it? What is the logic in doing that?

I completely agree that "atheism" is a pointless word.
The only reason it exists, is because the majority are theists and that gave rise to a need to have a word to describe those that aren't theists.

If the majority of the world were trekkies, we'ld also have a word for non-trekkies.

But you are correct. It is a word that says very little.

Because it doesn't define you. Instead, it only tells you about one specific thing: which belief is NOT present in that person's world view. It doesn't tell you what the person DOES believe.

So I agree it's a pointless label in terms of meaning.
It's however not a pointless label in sociological context, as it is a means to distinguish oneself from those that DO believe supernatural claims. It's said that this is necessary.

If one day the roles are reversed, and only 15% of people are theists, I predict that you'll hear the term "atheist" much much less - if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.