• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Serious Question To Self-Proclaimed Atheists ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Common usage is not a case of objective in the strong sense.

Wow, another straw man, as that is not what I said.

It is a case of a version of shared subjective understanding, but that doesn't have to be objective.

Did I say the meanings were entirely objective? this is like herding cats..

Is the dictionary an objective reference tool to find word definitions derived from common usage?

I'm not sure why your adding things I've not said?

PureX

Veteran Member
Theists lack belief in god(s)? That doesn't make sense.
Some do. Theism can be and often is based on faith, not belief. And among those for whom this difference is important, belief is rejected in favor of faith. So they do not "believe in God". They simply choose to have faith in the proposition that God exists.
Again, agnosticism is a knowledge claim. Theism is a belief claim. This isn't as difficult as you're trying to make it out to be.
You're avoiding the issue I raised. Yes, agnosticism is a knowledge issue. And skepticism is a logical process issue. And indifference is a relative value issue. And ignorance is a circumstantial cognitive issue. That's why each of these conditions have their own label. And it's why the label "atheism" is meaningless when you insist on applying it to all of these different conditions.

We all know that 'atheism' is the the antithetical to the theist claim. Not the skepticism of the theist claim, not ignorance of the theist claim, nor the inability to determine the validity of the theist claim. It's the antithetical to the theist claim. That means when theism claims gods exist, atheism claims gods do not exist, as that is the only antithetical logically available that is not being properly labeled as something else (as what it is). And that's how the atheism label maintains it individual meaning: as the only logical direct antithetical to the theist's claim that gods exist. All those other conditions are not directly antithetical, and they all already have their own labels.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Why, dictionaries don't define words. They only record the way people commonly use them. Homosexuals aren't any more or less "gay" than anyone else. But you'll find homosexuality as one of the definitions of the word "gay" in the dictionary. And these days it's the most common definition intended when people use that word. Because most people are not being logical much of the time when they're using words. Which is why words are so often being misused.

The meanings of words change. That is not logical or illogical, it's just a fact of life and the nature of living languages. What is illogical is insisting that they always retain their 'original' or 'correct' meaning (neither of which really exist).
Just as you are trying to misuse the word "atheist" to imply atheism, agnosticism, skepticism, ignorance, and disinterest all at the same time.

Another misrepresentation of what people are saying, and if anybody is misusing words it's yourself for refusing to accept the standard, current definition (not that I think atheism has changed its meaning much in recent times, the wording of the definition hasn't changed in the full OED at least since the 2nd edition in 1989).

Sheldon

Veteran Member
"Objective proof/truth" is a delusion.

So the statement the earth is not flat, is not objectively true?

It's why no human can ever be logically certain of anything.

Logically certain? Who on earth ever said logic could produce certainty? Oh and objective and certain are not remotely the same thing, so why you're conflating the two here is anyone's guess.

PureX

Veteran Member
That is true, I was going to make the same point about someone else's post. Certainty is a percentage (or Sigma). There is sure a difference between 99% and 3%.
Except that the "difference" is also uncertain. so that in the end, we have to simply trust in what we think we know, even knowing that it's bound to be wrong to some degree or other. There is no "objective proof" of anything that's ever going to be available to us. There is only 'relative probable truthfulness' available to us, and that's always changing.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Wow, another straw man, as that is not what I said.

Did I say the meanings were entirely objective? this is like herding cats..

Is the dictionary an objective reference tool to find word definitions derived from common usage?

I'm not sure why your adding things I've not said?

Maybe for the bold it is most of the time objective in this sense: "(of a person or their judgement) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts." I.e. the fact of how humans use words. Yeah, but that doesn't mean that the referents to a word are objective as representing facts.

We are into that words require brains, have an usage and are about something. What that something is, doesn¨t mean it is objective, just because the report of the usage is objective in one sense.

So here are some variants of objective:
Definition of OBJECTIVE

For the cases of the adjective people sometimes conflate the different meanings and end up claiming that what goes on in a brain as observed from the outside is objective in all cases. But it is not, because it doesn't meet this variant:
"of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind"

So here it is in general. That I can meet the requirements of being objective in some cases, doesn't mean that I am objective just because I say so. And that applies not just to me.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
So they do not "believe in God". They simply choose to have faith in the proposition that God exists.

That's a truly idiotic piece of semantics, it seems we can add belief to the list of words you're attempting to redefine.

Belief
noun

1. an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

Note the caveat in the definition I've emboldened, almost as beliefs do not necessarily have to be held in the absence of objective evidence. I believe the world is not flat, well well look, objective fact that I believe to be true, no faith required.

the label "atheism" is meaningless when you insist on applying it to all of these different condition.

Whose you? It has a primary definition that is based on common usage, it's in the dictionary.

We all know that 'atheism' is the the antithetical to theist claim.

Nope still a lie you're peddling.

Atheism
noun

1. disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Some do. Theism can be and often is based on faith, not belief.

Theism
noun

1. belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

Dear oh dear, this is just hilarious....

PureX

Veteran Member
The meanings of words change. That is not logical or illogical,
Of course it is. Some words change for logical reasons, and some words change for illogical reasons. The ones that change for illogical reasons tend to lose their validity, while the ones that maintain a logical meaning tend to hold their validity.

PureX

Veteran Member
So the statement the earth is not flat, is not objectively true?
"The Earth is not flat" is not objectively true or false. It's not objectively anything. It's a subjective observation. As are, "the Earth is round", "the Earth is spherical", and "the Earth is fun".

Sheldon

Veteran Member
that doesn't mean that the referents to a word are objective as representing facts.

Straw man #1

What that something is, doesn¨t mean it is objective, just because the report of the usage is objective in one sense.

Straw man #2

I can meet the requirements of being objective in some cases, doesn't mean that I am objective just because I say so.

Straw man #3

And that applies not just to me.

Straw man #4

Seriously I'm out for now, as you seem to be on a mission to introduce irrelevant straw man claims, no offence.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Of course it is. Some words change for logical reasons, and some words change for illogical reasons. The ones that change for illogical reasons tend to lose their validity, while the ones that maintain a logical meaning tend to hold their validity.

That's errant nonsense. ....language and word definitions evolves according to common usage. dictionary definitions reflect common usage and meanings. Common usage can have many and varied influences, from error to fads, nonetheless the dictionary reflects the most commonly understood use or definition. the meanings might change because of a variety of subjective influences, but the reference point does not. Dictionaries are not compiled based on the personal opinion of the authors.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Some do. Theism can be and often is based on faith, not belief. And among those for whom this difference is important, belief is rejected in favor of faith. So they do not "believe in God". They simply choose to have faith in the proposition that God exists.
Yes, some theists believe god(s) exist based on faith. In other words, their reason for believing is faith.
Theists believe in the existence of god(s), by definition. Hence the word atheism is used to denote lack of belief in the existence of god(s).

You're avoiding the issue I raised. Yes, agnosticism is a knowledge issue. And skepticism is a logical process issue. And indifference is a relative value issue. And ignorance is a circumstantial cognitive issue. That's why each of these conditions have their own label. And it's why the label "atheism" is meaningless when you insist on applying it to all of these different conditions.
I don't insist on "applying it to all these different conditions."
You are the one doing that, to the irritation of most atheists on this thread.
Atheism means lack of belief in god(s).

We all know that 'atheism' is the the antithetical to the theist claim. Not the skepticism of the theist claim, not ignorance of the theist claim, nor the inability to determine the validity of the theist claim. It's the antithetical to the theist claim.
It is a rejection of the theist claim based on insufficient evidence to believe the theists' claim. It is me saying, "I don't believe that god(s) exist, can you demonstrate that they do?"
It's the exact same position I hold if someone tells me that demons exist. Or leprechauns. Or unicorns. Or aliens. Or snerflebergs. I don't believe in things until I can see some evidence that would convince me that I should believe. But, it is not me declaring "there are no leprechauns."

That means when theism claims gods exist, atheism claims gods do not exist,
This is the error you keep making over and over. Atheists aren't making the clam "gods do not exist."
I don't know how many more times this needs to be pointed out to you before you can understand it.

as that is the only antithetical logically available that is not being properly labeled as something else (as what it is). And that's how the atheism label maintains it individual meaning: as the only logical direct antithetical to the theist's claim that gods exist. All those other conditions are not directly antithetical, and they all already have their own labels.
I have no idea why you're trying to make this so difficult and convoluted. It really isn't. All you have to do is listen to what atheists are telling you.

I'd suggest going back and reading the gum ball analogy that was presented to you a while back. I mean really, really read it over and think it through.

Vitality

Your baseline premise is itself a personal belief that many do not share. Atheist disbelief is based on the premise that with sufficient evidence and knowledge it is possible to prove a god or gods exist. Attempting to prove that one does not exist is redundant. Perhaps one does exist but the knowledge and evidence is not yet sufficient to prove. Until that changes, I choose to remain ambiguous regarding the subject. Blind faith adds no value to my life that I cannot achieve otherwise. Nor does disbelief devalue life.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's errant nonsense. ....language and word definitions evolves according to common usage. dictionary definitions reflect common usage and meanings.

And thus reflect change and different subjective understanding.
An example: What religion means, has changed and the standard definition of religion is not the only one around. E,g I can with a simple google search find standard one and other ones.
So between the standard and other ones, which is "correct"?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
"The Earth is not flat" is not objectively true or false. It's not objectively anything. It's a subjective observation.

So it's just a personal opinion it's not flat, there is no objective evidence to support the claim?

Mama mia.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: The tortured rationale theists use, just to justify believing archaic unevidenced superstition is hilarious.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So it's just a personal opinion it's not flat, there is no objective evidence to support the claim?

Mama mia.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: The tortured rationale theists use, just to justify believing archaic unevidenced superstition is hilarious.

Now please provide objective evidence that it is hilarious.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the word 'soul' does not mean what so many think it to mean.

Of course, it means whatever the speaker or writer says it means when he uses the word. I only use the word metaphorically, as in soul of the city, or a soulful performance.

It's not hard to imagine where this concept comes from. Let's look at your link on the meaning of the word. Soul: "the traditional rendering of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. In examining the way these terms are used in the Bible, it becomes evident that they basically refer to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has." It's simple subtraction : living body minus dead body equals soul. When a living thing dies, something exits it which gave it consciousness, desire, intent, etc.. This is harmless enough, and it gives people the sense that mind survives death.

Unfortunately, the priests hijacked the concept and used it to manipulate people by telling them that what exits the body is still the individual, is still conscious, is unable to become unconscious, and is still able to perceive pleasure and pain forever. Then, Pascal's Wager, at least implicitly understood by anybody hearing about this arrangement. You become a hostage of this mythology.

They will never find an answer unless...they recognize a supreme force enervating the universe

FYI, that word doesn't mean what you think it does. In fact, it means the opposite. Enervate - "cause (someone) to feel drained of energy or vitality; weaken." I think you meant energizing.

I've assembled a list of words that sound like they mean the opposite of what they actually do mean (yes, @mikkel_the_dane , I understand that "sounds like" is subjective). Who would have thought that a redoubtable, pulchritudinous, toothsome, snoutfair woman would be desirable, but a licentious, meretricious, cupidinous quean not?

OPPOSITE SOUNDING WORDS

Enervate - sap
Puissant - powerful
Quean - lewd woman
Pulchritude – beauty
Redoubtable - evoking respect
Restive - restless
Spendthrift – wasteful person
Matriculate – enter
Licentious - unrestrained by law or general morality
Toothsome - sexually alluring
Ingenuous – sincere
Firmament – the heavens
Inflammable - burnable
Meretritious – prostitute-like, vulgar, tawdry
Cupidity - greed
Prosaic - dull, unimaginative
Nonplussed – in a state of utter perplexity.
Caliginous – dark, dim, obscure
Absquatulate – flee, abscond
Snoutfair - good looking

I would say he's profoundly agnostic.

Since I'm in a definition mood (your doing), some nouns don't take modifiers like profoundly, or extremely, or very. Consider extremely mediocre, very lukewarm, and even very unique. Some use the word unique not to mean one-of-a-kind, but different, like a unique outlook, which can take a adjective like very.

Based on the logic of benefit

Except that you don't see that it is logical to reject theism for its detriment to a life.

Any atheist could do the same. They would just have to give us some idea of what atheism's functional value, is. Several here have done so.

Did you reject their claim? I made that claim, and gave strong evidence to back it up, namely that I left theism for atheism, preferred it, and have remained atheist since. Yet here you are STILL arguing that such a choice was illogical. Of course, you don't understand what atheism means when others use the term no matter how many times you are told. If you are still unaware that there are advantages to choosing atheism over theism, then this is not for you to understand. It can't be stated any more plainly and simply than it has been, All one can do is repeat answers that are never understood.

The problem is that you want to insist that atheism is "I don't believe you" when "I don't believe you" is just skeptism.

You have no say in how others use words. None of us do. Your job is to try to understand what is being told to you. I've already explained to you with communication in contract bridge, how two partners can define the meaning of a 1NT call differently and still communicate effectively if each defines what it means when he makes the bid, and the other assimilates that.

Atheists have told you repeatedly why they use the definitions of atheism and agnosticism that they do, and if you would open your eyes, you would see that benefit. The concepts map onto the set of logical possibilities for theists and atheists, and can be used to describe the things that people say about having or god belief or not, and whether they claim knowledge bout gods or not. As a result, can all agree about what is what and communicate effectively.

But you steadfastly convert the word atheist when you read it to strong or gnostic atheists. Furthermore, you reject out of hand when an atheist tells you he also an agnostic, because the way you've mapped all of this in your mind doesn't allow for that possibility. That's a poor way to try to communicate, as this entire thread demonstrates. You've learned nothing from the atheists who took the trouble to answer you, and they've learned nothing from your message (logos), just your meta-message (ethos).

If I claim that by using the word "red" I really mean any color with red in it, like orange, pink, and purple, then the word red isn't going to mean anything, anymore.

That's wrong. Once I know that that is what red means to you, then if you use the word, even though I might use it differently, I know what you mean. If you tell me that your car is red, I know it's on this palette somewhere:

upload_2021-10-27_12-29-32.jpeg

And when I use the word, you know that I only mean the color in the center. There is no reason to fight over how to use words. There is no need to agree, just as bridge partners don't need to agree about what 1NT means when they bid it if they explain themselves to one another, and choose to cooperate at the bridge table. Just define what you mean, and hope that you are conversing with somebody intelligent and flexible enough to have a conversation with you despite using words differently.

If I say atheism means "I don't believe gods exist" but also means "I don't know if gods exist or not" and also means "I believe no gods exist" and also means I can choose to have faith in the existence of gods even though I don't know if they exist or not, then the word "atheism" really doesn't mean anything, anymore.

That sounds like a good argument not to define atheism that way, and probably why nobody does. Is that what you hear when we call ourselves atheists. Previously, you heard what we call gnostic atheist. Now you hear us at once saying that we both believe no gods exist, and we don't know if they exist or not. Your definitions are incoherent. They contradict themselves.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

You seem to know as little about language as you do about logic. Words change their meaning simply because people start using them in different, or additional, ways (which could be for any number of reasons). Your example of 'gay' is a prime example, trying to deny its new(er) meaning is what would be illogical. It had other, now obsolete, meanings too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have no idea why you're trying to make this so difficult and convoluted. It really isn't. All you have to do is listen to what atheists are telling you.
Atheism is simple....not believing in gods.
Some people need to make things very complicated
in order to win some argument against simple things.

Status
Not open for further replies.