• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Serious Question To Self-Proclaimed Atheists ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
It is just a counterargument to demanding physical evidence for an immaterial god.

Well it is pure assumption an immaterial deity exists, and defining a deity in a way that makes evidencing it impossible doesn't make the belief more credible, quite the opposite.

If a theist claims an immaterial god, no evidence is necessary.

Sorry but that is wrong, all claims carry an epistemological "burden of proof." Why would a bare assertion get a pass, just because it created to be unfalsifiable?

Prove of consensus about the construct would suffice.

again I'd have to disagree, as without objective evidence that is just a bare appeal to numbers, an argumentum ad populum fallacy.

I debated claim an immaterial god to avoid the burden of proof and claimed physical interaction in the next paragraph. (And of course prove of consensus couldn't be given either.)

I'm not clear whether this was something you argued for or against, however I see flaws in the reason anyway.

1. The claim a deity is immaterial is meaningless without ant evidence to support it.
2. Creating an unfalsifiable concept doesn't mean the concept has no burden of proof, otherwise we can simply imagine things into existence as and when we please.
3. A consensus is only significant if it based on evidence and knowledge, a bare appeal to numbers is a known logical fallacy, an argumentum ad populum fallacy. So whether there is a consensus or not on the claim, it is meaningless without evidence to support it, and also irrational of course, as is any claim based on a known logical fallacy.

PureX

Veteran Member
You appreciate that is entirely a function of the definition of that kind of god? Believers unilaterally declared that their god can't be knows (which is convenient for them :cool: ).
Theism proposes that God/gods exist (and that this existence effects humanity, or the proposal is moot). It does not propose any kind of God. However, a common universal definition of "God" would be the source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is. Ultimately, however, it leaves the definition up to each of us.
We very rarely have all of the information necessary to reach definitive conclusions so we typically reach "best guess" conclusions on the basis of the evidence that is available. We may even temper our responses to account for that uncertainty. Most of the time that is sufficient.
Why do you feel the need to establish and offer your "best guess" regarding the existence of God/gods when there is insufficient evidence available for you to make such a determination? Since the evidence cannot support your choice, I am asking for the logical support of it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Late to the party, again.

I understand why theists choose to do so. And so do most of us, here. The reason is that they gain some personal value benefit from their choosing to trust in their particular idealization of 'God'. But I do not understand why people choose to presume that no gods exist, because that choice offers them no personal value or benefit. There is no idealization to inculcate or act on in adopting atheism, and therefor no benefit to be derived from such non-idealization and non-action.

I also understand taking a position of uninformed indifference as an agnostic. If one feels no particular need or desire for the benefits others seek through theism, then so be it. There would logically be no reason, then, for them to choose theism.

What I don't understand is choosing the presumption of atheism, as opposed to simply remaining agnostic and indifferent. I've been trying to ask one or two self-proclaimed atheists, here, why they choose atheism as opposed to agnostic indifference and I cannot get an answer from them. I can't even get them to acknowledge the logic behind my question.

CAN ANYONE ELSE, HERE, EXPLAIN TO ME THE LOGIC OF CHOOSING ATHEISM? (Given agnosticism as a baseline human premise)
If I understand what you are asking then I think the answer is that I wish to have a set of beliefs that captures the world as accurately as I can. That in itself is a desirable state of affairs, for me. That is the benefit.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I start from the baseline premise that it is not possible for a human being to determine the nature or even the existence of 'God'.

I realize this may not be entirely true, but if there are exceptions, they are very, very rare. In the same way that 'miracles' do appear to happen, but whatever they are, they are very, very rare. So although my baseline premise in not absolute, I believe it stands, logically and realistically. There is no significant information or evidence available to us that would logically move us off this baseline premise. "I don't know" (agnosticism) is the logical human response to the proposal that 'God/gods' exist.

However, this leaves the proposal of God's existence to be a possibility, as agnosticism does not logically negate the existence of God/gods. It also leaves, by default, the possibility open that no gods exist since agnosticism does not negate that possibility, either.

The point I'm making, here, is that agnosticism does not preclude anyone from choosing to adopt a presumption that God/gods (of a metaphysical nature) exist, or that that they do not exist. What agnosticism does do, however, is remove the possibility of our logically proving either presumption to ourselves or to anyone else.

So why would anyone adopt the presumption that God/gods exists, or that God/gods do not exist, given this baseline premise of our lack of sufficient evidence or information to make a logical determination? Because a great many humans do choose to move past their agnosticism, and into one determination or the other (theism or atheism).

I understand why theists choose to do so. And so do most of us, here. The reason is that they gain some personal value benefit from their choosing to trust in their particular idealization of 'God'. But I do not understand why people choose to presume that no gods exist, because that choice offers them no personal value or benefit. There is no idealization to inculcate or act on in adopting atheism, and therefor no benefit to be derived from such non-idealization and non-action.

I also understand taking a position of uninformed indifference as an agnostic. If one feels no particular need or desire for the benefits others seek through theism, then so be it. There would logically be no reason, then, for them to choose theism.

What I don't understand is choosing the presumption of atheism, as opposed to simply remaining agnostic and indifferent. I've been trying to ask one or two self-proclaimed atheists, here, why they choose atheism as opposed to agnostic indifference and I cannot get an answer from them. I can't even get them to acknowledge the logic behind my question.

CAN ANYONE ELSE, HERE, EXPLAIN TO ME THE LOGIC OF CHOOSING ATHEISM? (Given agnosticism as a baseline human premise)

In my experience when asked for reasons from an atheist, most of the time it is "lack of evidence to God". This reasonably is not an atheistic position in my opinion. It is more of an agnostic position. So this atheism and agnosticism is conflating a lot. That is why now you get those who call themselves "hard atheists" who clearly say "there is no God and I am sure of it". Actually there is a lot of literature on these things to the surprise of many.

There are many types of atheists in this world. All are not the same. There are misotheists who just hate God. Its hard to say these Atheists who are Misotheists actually believe a God exists or not because if they honestly believe there is no God, they won't be so angry and frustrated and hateful of God. They probably will address the theistic issue in a different way. Some people just call them "God haters" which is another phrase, that's all.

Then you get these so called "New Atheists". I think they are in a crossroad kind of thing where they want to propose a scientific worldview, but also are aware that science cannot produce a "worldview" per se. And you get those atheists who have a faith in scientism which almost religiously held. Then you get secular humanists who are very vocal, and private atheists who are not bothered what others are doing. They just wish to lead their lives as atheists, do what they want, and to be left alone. Well, there are many types of all kinds everywhere.

Good post.

PureX

Veteran Member
Are you admitting that (like me) you have no idea what a non-imaginary God, a real one, could actually be?
I don't know what a non-imaginary ANYTHING could be. Everything I experience gets defined by my imagination. But to answer your question, I have no idea in what way 'God' would exist. How does the source of all that is exist before existence exists? It's beyond the ability of my mind to comprehend.
Before you can say that, you need to know what real thing the word "God" is intended to denote, if by 'exists' you mean 'has objective existence, is real'.
"Objective existence" is a fiction created by the remote access our brains have to the world around us. I don't care about that. But I do understand that if God has no expression in my experience of reality, God's existence is a moot issue. So, by my choice, God is being expressed in my experience of reality, through what I perceive to be 'divine benevolence'.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Theism - God/gods exist.
Atheism - the antithetical - either can't decide or don't exist.

Since the undecided option is already called agnosticism, that leaves the don't exist option alone to be called atheism.

You have the terminology wrong.

Agnosticism is the position that *knowledge* (gnosis) is impossible in this area.

Theism is the *belief* that Gods exist.

Atheism is the lack of belief that Gods exist (strong atheism is the belief that Gods do not exist).

it is quite possible to be an agnostic and a theist or an agnostic and an atheist. An agnostic theist is one that believes in God(s) but doesn't believe that knowledge about God(s) are possible (possibly including the existence of such). An agnostic atheist is someone who does NOT believe in God(s) but doesn't think that knowledge about them is possible.

You seem to be arguing against *gnostic* atheists: those who don't believe in God(s) and also believe that knowledge about this is possible. Such gnostic atheists exist, but are much more rare than agnostic atheists.

Another way to do this is to scale the degree of confidence in one's beliefs. So, a theist may believe in God and have a very high amount of confidence in the existence of God(s). But it is also possible to be a theist and have a low confidence in that belief.

Similarly, it is possible to be an atheist with a high degree of confidence in the disbelief OR an atheist with a low degree of confidence in that disbelief.

The Dawkin's scale gets to this: it ranges from 0 for total confidence that God(s) exist(s) to 7, which is total confidence that it/they do not. Most 'self-proclaimed' atheists would ut themselves at a 6 to 6.9 on this scale.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Theism - God/gods exist.

Since the undecided option is already called agnosticism, that leaves the don't exist option alone to be called atheism.

You have the terminology wrong.

Agnosticism is the position that *knowledge* (gnosis) is impossible in this area.

Theism is the *belief* that Gods exist.

Atheism is the lack of belief that Gods exist (strong atheism is the belief that Gods do not exist).

it is quite possible to be an agnostic and a theist or an agnostic and an atheist. An agnostic theist is one that believes in God(s) but doesn't believe that knowledge about God(s) are possible (possibly including the existence of such). An agnostic atheist is someone who does NOT believe in God(s) but doesn't think that knowledge about them is possible.

You seem to be arguing against *gnostic* atheists: those who don't believe in God(s) and also believe that knowledge about this is possible. Such gnostic atheists exist, but are much more rare than agnostic atheists.

Another way to do this is to scale the degree of confidence in one's beliefs. So, a theist may believe in God and have a very high amount of confidence in the existence of God(s). But it is also possible to be a theist and have a low confidence in that belief.

Similarly, it is possible to be an atheist with a high degree of confidence in the disbelief OR an atheist with a low degree of confidence in that disbelief.

The Dawkin's scale gets to this: it ranges from 0 for total confidence that God(s) exist(s) to 7, which is total confidence that it/they do not. Most 'self-proclaimed' atheists would put themselves at a 6 to 6.9 on this scale.

PureX

Veteran Member
Your mistake is in that you think that "agnosticism" is some "third choice" to the binary question "do you believe".
You don't understand that none of this is about what anyone "believes".

Theism posits that God/gods exist.

This leaves us with three possible responses:

1. We agree: God/gods exists.
2. We disagree: God/gods do not exist.
3. We are undecided: lacking sufficient information to make a determination.
Atheism posits that no God/gods exist. (#2)

Agnosticism posits that we lack sufficient information to determine whether or not God/gods exist. (#3)

The question I am asking is that if you claim to be an agnostic atheist, as many here do, then by what logical reasoning did you choose to presume no gods exist as opposed to simply remaining undecided. It's a simple, reasonable question.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know what a non-imaginary ANYTHING could be. Everything I experience gets defined by my imagination.

And this is where most people disagree with you. The chair in my room does NOT only exist as a part of my imagination. It has existence independent of whether anyone is looking at it or imagining it. My 'experience' of it isn't relevant to its existence. So it is 'non-imaginary'.

the question atheists pose is whether God exists in the same way that chairs (or planets, or atoms) do. Or, is God something like laws or freedom, social constructs that properly only exist as parts of our psychology?

But to answer your question, I have no idea in what way 'God' would exist. How does the source of all that is exist before existence exists? It's beyond the ability of my mind to comprehend.

Why would you think that existence has a source? That doesn't seem incomprehensible. It seems incoherent.

"Objective existence" is a fiction created by the remote access our brains have to the world around us. I don't care about that.
Well, it seems that you have made metaphysical commitments that many people disagree with. Most people do not consider 'objective reality' to be a fiction. And we do care about it.

But I do understand that if God has no expression in my experience of reality, God's existence is a moot issue. So, by my choice, God is being expressed in my experience of reality, through what I perceive to be 'divine benevolence'.

That seems like a very solipsistic viewpoint to me. It is not one I share.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheism is answering "no" to the question "do you believe a god exists?"
No one is asking that question. No one is asking you ANY questions (but me).

Theism posits that God/gods exist. Period. Theism is not asking what you believe about it or even what you think about it. It simply posits a truth claim. And you are left with three possible responses to that truth claim. If agnosticism is part of your response, then we have to ask you why you also chose one of the other two responses given that you have already acknowledged that you lack sufficient information to do so. You must have some OTHER reasoning besides sufficient information. And I am inquiring as to what that other reasoning is.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've never seen an honest Atheist - for example, I've never seen myself an atheists that properly analyzes arguments for or against God. So this is my conclusion, that you guys over all are dishonest.
That's a pretty rude thing to say, actually.

And let me be clear -- there are no authentic "arguments for God," just a lot of assertions ultimately based upon nothing that can be observed.

In any case, the vast majority of believers don’t even read theology, and are barely aware of the arguments for God made by supposedly sophisticated theologians. Anyway, it’s fun and intellectually stimulating to refute the arguments of theologians, because it’s only there that one can truly see intelligence so blatantly coopted and corrupted to prove what one has decided beforehand must be true. Theology is the only academic discipline where people get paid not to investigate their beliefs, but to rationalize them.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ehh... No.

Theism is not: God/gods exist
Theism is: The belief God/gods exist

Logically it is either p or not p (p or -p)

The negation of Theism is: Not Theism
or: Not belief God/gods exist

Logic doesn't really help your case.
Belief has nothing to do with it. Theism is the claim. What you or anyone believes about the claim is irrelevant to the fact of the claim itself: ... that the claim stands before you.

I think you should ask yourself why it's so important to you that you drag people's beliefs into what is otherwise a simple, clear, proposition. Why can't you just face the proposition, and respond to it?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

WRONG. That is *precisely* what this is all about.

Theism posits that God/gods exist.

Theism is the *belief* that God(s) exist.

3. We are undecided: lacking sufficient information to make a determination.​

WRONG! That leave us with two questions:

1. Is enough evidence given to support the claim?
2. Is it possible to to have knowledge concerning this claim?

Atheism is the position that, in 1, sufficient evidence has not been given, so a lack of belief is justified.

Atheism posits that no God/gods exist.

WRONG! Atheism is the position that we do not *believe* God(s) exist.

Agnosticism posits that we lack sufficient information to determine whether or not God/gods exist.

WRONG! Agnosticism (strong agnosticism) is the position that it is impossible to get enough evidence to get knowledge of whether God(s) exist or not. Weak agnosticism is the position that we currently do not have that evidence. That is a very different question that the one for theism/atheism.

The question I am asking is that if you claim to be an agnostic atheist, as many here do, then by what logical reasoning did you choose to presume no gods exist as opposed to simply remaining undecided. It's a simple, reasonable question.

The position is that we do not have *belief* that god(s) exist. We have that lack of belief *because* there isn't any evidence supporting the claim that God(s) exist. It is NOT 'presumption' that no God(s) exist. That position would be *strong* atheism. The (weak) atheist position is that there is not sufficient evidence and so we simply do not believe in God(s).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Belief has nothing to do with it. Theism is the claim. What you or anyone believes about the claim is irrelevant to the fact of the claim itself: ... that the claim stands before you.

I think you should ask yourself why it's so important to you that you drag people's beliefs into what is otherwise a simple, clear, proposition. Why can't you just face the proposition, and respond to it?

Why do you want to eliminate the defining aspect of the position? The lack of belief?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
this leaves the proposal of God's existence to be a possibility

That seems to be enough for you to believe that a god actually exists. It's not for the skeptic. Possibility is only of interest because the subset of things that are actual or can become actual resides there. Logic demands that that which can be shown to be actual is treated as actual, and that which merely can't be ruled out not be treated as actual.

why would anyone adopt the presumption that God/gods exists, or that God/gods do not exist

I don't know, but you seem to have done it.

Self-identifying atheists do not define atheism.

Sure we do. Theists' nomenclature for unbelief is inadequate. It doesn't reflect how most atheists think or see themselves. The definition you use is inadequate for me, because it would exclude me from atheism simply because I don't also declare gods nonexistent. That just doesn't work for me or for countless others. Look at the problems it's causing you here in this thread. You don't understand what any agnostic atheist is telling you because you can't conceptualize being atheist and agnostic at the same time. That is a result of your error that one can be one or the other but not both at the same time.

Most people are agnostic, and most atheists admit to being agnostic. So the question is why don't they simply remain agnostic.

Here's where you definition of atheist fails you. You simply cannot conceive of the fact that we can remain agnostic as atheists, and in fact, most of us are. And until you assimilate this simple fact, you will remain confused.

How does one operate under the assumption that there is no God as opposed to operating under the realization that they don't know if there is a God or not? What would be the actual difference? And if one has already accepted that they do not know if God exists or not, why would they then choose to presume that there is not?

The problem is that there are three positions possible on gods, but only two ways to behave. There are those who say that gods exist, those who say they do not, and those who remain agnostic (3). One can live as if there is a god or not (2). How shall we map the 3 onto the 2?

Those who believe that gods exist are naturally theists, and those who say gods do no exist are naturally atheists, but that leaves the agnostics, who must choose one of these as well. If the agnostic is an experienced critical thinker, he chooses to live as if there is no god for the same reason he chooses to live as if there are no vampires or anything else people have proposed exists, but can't be demonstrated or disproved.

The default position is to not believe until there is a sound reason to do so. Why? So that we don't have to randomly guess which of these things to believe in, or worse, believe them all. Or maybe we should also cover our doorways in garlic in case there are vampires. And keep silver bullets handy in case werewolves actually exist.

And you call that attitude illogical. Your argument is that if you can choose to believe in gods or not, why not believe. That's illogical. And multiple people have told you that, all atheists. So, you wind up with a thread full of atheists all using the same reasoning to come to the same conclusion that atheism is the proper position for agnostics, and one guy who can't conceive of agnostic atheism and who thinks it's illogical not to believe something without sufficient evidence, and who has chosen theism.

What do you suppose is the actual message (meta-message) you are sending those people? That you're a logical thinker whose conclusions should be considered more carefully, which is presumable the message you'd like to be conveying, or that tortured thinking leads to unsound conclusions? Do you think that you are pulling them toward your way of thinking, or helping reassure them that they have thought things through properly and made the right choice rejecting theism.

This is the question: why do atheist go beyond agnosticism to presuming that no gods exist when they have already determined that they can't know if gods exist or not? I understand why theists do it. I am asking why atheists do it, logically. So far the only answer I'm getting is "lack of evidence" which is not at all logical. Yet atheists claim they are all and only about logic.

The answer has been given to you multiple times, but it has been impossible for you to understand it. You'll just have to remain agnostic (unknowing). The answer is not available to your mind. Something prevents you from understanding it.

I am agnostic about the existence of God/gods. I choose to trust in the idea that a God of my own understanding exists because I find that doing so works in a positive way for me whether God exists or not.

Great. But your needs are different from mine. I have suggested that you use the notion of God to help you with personal struggles, and I have no problem with that. If it helps keep you remain centered, if it helps you tame your demons, I'm all for it. The belief may have transformed your life for the better.

As I have told you in the past, I have no unmet needs that a god belief would benefit. I likened this to you having blurry vision, discovering corrective lenses, and shouting out to the world that everybody should wear a pair, unaware that there are people who see well without them, people who would not only not benefit from wearing glasses, but actually have their vision degraded by them. But you can't imagine that, and call people illogical for not wearing a pair. Then someone like me, a former Christian, tells you that he sees fine without glasses, and in fact, actually saw better after taking them off. Then you say that I must have been wearing them wrong, or I chose the wrong prescription and should try again. You just can't see why everybody wouldn't want glasses after they rescued your vision, and calling others illogical for preferring no glasses.

This is essentially where we are with theism. You say that it worked in a positive way for you, and wonder why everybody doesn't follow your lead.

justice is a "human creation", yet I assume you aren't presuming that justice does't exist. Or that it's existence has no effect in and on reality. So why have you chosen to assume so with 'God'?

The word justice refers to activities that can be observed and judged. It is a concept abstracted from concrete instances that have a particular quality in common. The word God has no known external referent. That is the difference between the two. I can see instances of justice and injustice, so I have no reason to question whether justice exists, and I have no difficulty referring to those real events using those words.

But God? Am I referring to anything real? I don't know. So, I believe justice exists but not God even though both are abstractions because I can experience one and not the other. I understand that you think both should be believed because they're both abstractions, but that's not a good way to decide what is true about the world. The first is evidence-based, the second faith, and faith isn't a path to truth, given that any error can be believed by faith.

Logic defines atheism. I would think atheists, who are constantly touting the importance of logic, would appreciate that.

Logic leads to atheism. It is the only sound position for a skeptical empiricist.

I'd say that choosing the definition of atheist that you have chosen was illogical, since it confounds your thinking and impairs communication. This entire thread wouldn't exist if you had defined atheism as atheists do, or at the least acknowledged in your writing that that is how they define themselves and what they mean when they tell you they are atheists, and adjusted accordingly. But you refuse, a choice that has led to a chaotic discussion that generated nothing for you. You haven't learned a thing about why atheists are atheists after over 20 pages of discussion because of that illogical choice.

As an illustration, I'm a contract bridge player. We call the heart and spade suits the majors, and some of us will open the bidding 1 No Trump with a five card major, while others will open in the major (1 Heart or 1 Spade) with five or more of them. There are arguments for each position, and problems with both, so there is no consensus among bridge players on the matter. I won't open a hand in No Trump with a five card major, but I can play with a partner who will as long as I understand what he means by 1NT - he might have five hearts or spades. And he can play with me knowing that I won't have more than four of either suit when I open 1NT.

Of course, we have to use a different set of responses to 1NT than one another, because we each need to ferret out whether we have eight or more of either of these suits in our combined hands. The convention that accomplished this is called Stayman, and it is a 2 Club answer to 1NT. My partner will ask me whenever he has a 4-card major to see if I have four more, but when he bids 1NT, I have to use a different form of Stayman. I have to ask partner about his major suits if I have a 3-card major, since he may have five in that suit. My version of Stayman is called Puppet Stayman. So, we can still communicate effectively even though neither of uses the same definition of 1NT, nor mean the same thing when we bid it, because we understand what the other means, and adapt our responses accordingly. Now, that's logical.

Nobody here is asking you to change your definition of atheist, just to try to understand ours, and when dealing with somebody whose definition is not yours, adapting your responses to reflect that you understand them in order to communicate. Use Stayman (metaphorically, of course - a 2 club response to any post here would be indecipherable) when dealing with somebody who shares your definition, and switch to Puppet Stayman when dealing with those who mean something other than you do when they call themselves atheists.

Theism - God/gods exist.

2 Clubs.

Last edited:

AppieB

Belief has nothing to do with theism? That's a new one for me. So what is your definition of theism?

Theism is not the claim. I mean, I will accept that theism exists. The claim is: God/gods exist. This one I will not accept.

Btw, you still have to show how Logic defines words

Sheldon

Veteran Member

That is preposterous sorry, theism is a belief in a deity, atheism is the lack or absence of that belief, and agnosticism is a belief that nothing is known or can be known about any deity.

3. We are undecided: lacking sufficient information to make a determination.

That is a false dichotomy fallacy, did you think no one would notice you've omitted the definition of atheism? The hilarity of you making a demonstrably irrational claim can't be lost on anyone either, especially after your relentless insistence that others be rational. here are at least two more options.

4. I can not know anything about the nature or existence of any deity. - agnosticism.
5. I can disbelieve the claim a deity exists - atheism

NB
4 and 5 are not mutually exclusive either, as I
hold both positions when the deities imagined by theists are unfalsifiable.

Atheism posits that no God/gods exist. (#2)

No it doesn't. Atheism is defined as the lack or absence of belief, it posits nothing, though an atheist can of course.

Agnosticism posits that we lack sufficient information to determine whether or not God/gods exist. (#3)

No it doesn't, agnosticism is defined as the belief that nothing is known OR CAN BE KNOWN about the nature or existence of god. read a dictionary or follow one of the many links you've ignored that litter this thread, your sophistry won't change the dictionary, nor will it convince me your agenda trumps the definitions contained in it.

what logical reasoning did you choose to presume no gods exist

I do not, nor have I ever made any such presumption, you're lying, again.

I disbelieve in any deity or deities, and so I am an atheist.

When the deity imagined by theists is an unfalsifiable concept, I am also an agnostic, as I cannot be otherwise. I have explained this to you already, yet you persist in dishonestly misrepresenting my position.

It's a simple, reasonable question.

It's a dishonest attempt to try and reverse the burden of proof your theism carries. that invokes the word logic as rhetoric, clearly demonstrated by your use of several known logical fallacies in this thread. You're fooling no one.

What objective evidence can you demonstrate for your belief a deity exists?

Now that is a simple, and reasonable question.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
In my experience when asked for reasons from an atheist, most of the time it is "lack of evidence to God". This reasonably is not an atheistic position in my opinion. It is more of an agnostic position. So this atheism and agnosticism is conflating a lot. That is why now you get those who call themselves "hard atheists" who clearly say "there is no God and I am sure of it". Actually there is a lot of literature on these things to the surprise of many.
I agree. It's why I started this thread. I wanted to make atheists face the difference between atheism, and agnosticism, and clarify why, logically, they chose atheism when they could simply have remained agnostic.
There are many types of atheists in this world.
Actually, there is only one "type of atheist". And that is the type that counter-claims that no gods exist. There are, however, a lot of different people making that counter claim for a lot of different reasons, and some of them are very clear and committed to their claims, while others are not very clear or committed to them. Atheism is not defined by these people. Atheism is one of three possible responses to the theist truth claim. Nothing more, and nothing less. How we each as individuals relate ourselves to this one particular response is as varied and dynamic as we are. But the response, itself, remains the same, and intact.
All are not the same. There are misotheists who just hate God. Its hard to say these Atheists who are Misotheists actually believe a God exists or not because if they honestly believe there is no God, they won't be so angry and frustrated and hateful of God. They probably will address the theistic issue in a different way. Some people just call them "God haters" which is another phrase, that's all.

Then you get these so called "New Atheists". I think they are in a crossroad kind of thing where they want to propose a scientific worldview, but also are aware that science cannot produce a "worldview" per se. And you get those atheists who have a faith in scientism which almost religiously held. Then you get secular humanists who are very vocal, and private atheists who are not bothered what others are doing. They just wish to lead their lives as atheists, do what they want, and to be left alone. Well, there are many types of all kinds everywhere.
I like the introduction of all these label variants because they put the variations back on the people, instead of muddying up and confusing the atheist counter response to the theist truth claim. I don't like "strong" and "weak" atheist assertions because they are misleading terms and they try to divide the atheist counter-claim based on personalities rather than content.

Status
Not open for further replies.